LegacyGT.com

2001 Subaru Legacy E-Tune Issues

Hello guys! I'm new here. Just recently picked up a 2001 Subaru Legacy GTB E-Tune with the 5 speed that was involved in an accident as a project. This will be my first Subaru so pretty excited about it. So a couple of questions about. Been trying to find parts for it and was wondering if some USDM models share similar parts. So mostly I need body parts. Here is a list of the parts I need for sure. Just wondering if the parts are interchangeable from USDM to a JDM model.

PARTS:

-Hood

-Front Bumper

-Passenger Fender

-Passenger door

-Radiator

Rather than those I was looking around and pulled the timing belt cover to see how it was before I tried to start it. So I can't tell if it's snap cause I have a belt missing. Was looking for a diagram but can't seem to find one. Wondering if someone can tell me what belt or if it's a timing belt.

Here is the photo of the belts: (Can't seem to get the picture added from the menu thing)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xj2aA0bb8SSNYYeOh_cXmfQEvAN3IuEH/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Justyn

Yeah there should be a timing belt there.

US never got turbo Legacys'. The hoods don't have scoops here except for the 20 Turbo Bajas that exist still. The bumpers and stuff fit but some bumpers, grilles and headlights might have gaps depending on what you mismatch.

IIRC the 00-02USDM, 99-01JDM (A/B) stuff fits with no bumper/hood gaps and the 03-04USDM, 02-03JDM (C/D) stuff fits no gaps between the bumper cover and hood. Edited by xrayspecs

IIRC the 00-02USDM, 99-01JDM (A/B) stuff fits with no bumper/hood gaps and the 03-04USDM, 02-03JDM (C/D) stuff fits no gaps. between the bumper cover and hood.

Thanks! Going to order a timing belt and check local junkyard to see if I can find the body parts. What about fenders? And if so any part number I could also see how much it is at a Subaru Dealer. Spent pretty much nothing on this and willing to spend some money.

Not only belts but you're missing a couple of your cam sprockets too lol

For the radiator early 2000s Imprezas should be a direct fit. I'd ask around local garages that work on JDM subies and see if they can point you to the right direction.

There is a maintenance manual of 1998 - 2003 Subaru Liberty's (Australian version of Legacy) floating around the internet. AFAIK there is no difference between JDM and AUDM (only detuned for less octane gas), could be a good resource for you.

i think the biggest issue with fitment is the grill/hood/bumper was changed in the facelift for the cars. if you look (i cant remember what threads they were in) if you mix match a A\B with a C\D theres a funky gap where the hood runs down and meets the front bumper skin.

the fenders should fit the lights regardless as the buckets have the same p/n across years IIRC.

a thing though is the outbacks have a front fender that is 1-1/2 or 1-1/4 taller in the arch so it wont have the same look if you put it on a no outback.

i think the biggest issue with fitment is the grill/hood/bumper was changed in the facelift for the cars. if you look (i cant remember what threads they were in) if you mix match a A\B with a C\D theres a funky gap where the hood runs down and meets the front bumper skin.

the fenders should fit the lights regardless as the buckets have the same p/n across years IIRC.

a thing though is the outbacks have a front fender that is 1-1/2 or 1-1/4 taller in the arch so it wont have the same look if you put it on a no outback.

Oh okay, missing things that’s no good. Was asking some local shops that specialize in Subaru and JDM cars but it’s to hard cause I can’t really show them. For the timing belt would the valves of the engine be bent? Car hit a concrete thing on the wheel which caused a lot of suspension parts to be obliterated. Wondering how would the timing belt snap. Any easy way to check for bent valves without taking it completely out? And I will try to see what pieces I’m missing for the timing assembly. Still can’t tell if the belt snapped or if it’s just inside the cover.

once you get a timing belt on the car and the cam sprockets replaced ect, you should be able to turn the engine with a wrench on the crank pulley. Definitely get a used belt and stuff from the junkyard.

Well, was trying to get a new belt from a local shop seems like that’s difficult. Any USDM Subaru that I can pull the belt and the cam sprocket out of? Also, the radiator can be pulled out of a USDM Legacy. Found some that are parting out and have the radiator. Just in the process of bolting everything back up from the previous owner. Seems like the old dash is gone so would a USDM cluster work? Also was looking for the thread that XraySpec mentioned can't find it but that would be really helpful if someone has the link.

Edited by Justyn

So today I was looking at how do you line all the cam strokes of the engine. Found some with arrows but some without. Any advice on what to do? Never heard the engine ran before and have no clue if valves are bent. Also any other Subaru the timing belt can come from? Everyone I'm asking can't find one. Would a 2002 WRX timing belt work?

I've looked into the timing belt for an EJ206 engine before. Any timing belt from any dual cam EJ should work. 281 teeth is the magic number.

Your cam sprockets SHOULD always have the markers. You might be referring to the cams without the sprockets. I am not sure how the sprockets sit in the cam shaft (do they only go one way?) but once seated the arrows should be visible.

I've looked into the timing belt for an EJ206 engine before. Any timing belt from any dual cam EJ should work. 281 teeth is the magic number.

Your cam sprockets SHOULD always have the markers. You might be referring to the cams without the sprockets. I am not sure how the sprockets sit in the cam shaft (do they only go one way?) but once seated the arrows should be visible.

Here are the ones I can't find any marks to line them up. So going to pull the belts out today and see what else is wrong. What I'm I exactly missing? And where?. Everything moves easily but don't want to move it to much. But it moves. Good sign?

Picture: Can't get the picture thing to work for some reason

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q67gI1YetQftCle0DmPn5aTVwJedVypG

Edited by Justyn

Here are the ones I can't find any marks to line them up. So going to pull the belts out today and see what else is wrong. What I'm I exactly missing? And where?. Everything moves easily but don't want to move it to much. But it moves. Good sign?

Picture: Can't get the picture thing to work for some reason

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q67gI1YetQftCle0DmPn5aTVwJedVypG

The ones you pointed out on this picture, you will not find markings on those because you're missing your cam sprockets there! :lol: The front end of your engine without the timing belt cover should like this: sl744631.png

I cannot comment on whether that's a good sign or not. Before you try and move any camshafts make sure the crankshaft is in its neutral position. It should also have a mark you align with the engine case to show this:

atFss.gif

BE VERY CAREFUL when you're moving the crankshaft. It's better to do this with someone who knows this stuff watching over.

Edited by giiyanman

The ones you pointed out on this picture, you will not find markings on those because you're missing your cam sprockets there! :lol: The front end of your engine without the timing belt cover should like this: sl744631.png

I cannot comment on whether that's a good sign or not. Before you try and move any camshafts make sure the crankshaft is in its neutral position. It should also have a mark you align with the engine case to show this:

atFss.gif

BE VERY CAREFUL when you're moving the crankshaft. It's better to do this with someone who knows this stuff watching over.

Okay just want to clarify some stuff before I put my hands on the engine.

1. Remove the V-Belts as well the radiator and the fans which is already removed

2. Remove the crankshaft bolt

3. Remove the timing belt covers (Mine is completely damaged in pieces)

3. Remove the timing belt guide

4. Then I would align the crankshaft to the marking on the casting of the motor. (Would this mean the camshaft will be in the neutral position?)

5. Then remove the belt idlers

6. Then remove the timing belt (Which is snapped no clue)

So few questions. How would I install the camshaft sprocket? I found a few videos on how to remove them but how do you install them? Again how would you put the camshaft in a neutral position? Then how would I align the other camshaft to the markings? Could I move them individually? Thanks again for the help all new to the Subaru motors.

Okay just want to clarify some stuff before I put my hands on the engine.

1. Remove the V-Belts as well the radiator and the fans which is already removed

2. Remove the crankshaft bolt

3. Remove the timing belt covers (Mine is completely damaged in pieces)

3. Remove the timing belt guide

4. Then I would align the crankshaft to the marking on the casting of the motor. (Would this mean the camshaft will be in the neutral position?)

5. Then remove the belt idlers

6. Then remove the timing belt (Which is snapped no clue)

So few questions. How would I install the camshaft sprocket? I found a few videos on how to remove them but how do you install them? Again how would you put the camshaft in a neutral position? Then how would I align the other camshaft to the markings? Could I move them individually? Thanks again for the help all new to the Subaru motors.

Once you take off the crankshaft bolt and take off the timing belt covers, you re-attach the bolt to the crankshaft and turn it using your breaker bar. I haven't looked into removing camshaft sprockets but would it not work if you just did the removal in reverse to get them installed?

Take this with a grain of salt as I am only regurgitating information already on the net. But looking at the engine from the front of the car, left cams should spin freely while right cams will have resistance. Should still move if you used your wrench but if you feel it wont move then you might be bending your valves.

I gtg right now, but you will find great information on EJ timing belts on the NASIOC forums.

Well took the belt out and it was snapped indeed. Now is it really worth fixing it up? What are my options? Never pulled an engine out but I'm willing to learn. So I'm thinking that doing a leak down test might tell me if the valves are good or not. Found a Subaru Legacy for $1000 that has a blown engine which has the EJ206 but I have the EJ208. Might be not bad if I could use the body parts which I need as well use the heads possibly? The ad says Rod Knock but still runs who knows. Got the crankshaft lined up with the casting mark on the engine block.a0030c231cee900bbe490df42fc6661c.jpg486abbc1917f3009b27fc23643e752ec.jpg04d7a048fa46ad6b41ae506dd35ee5fb.jpg Edited by Justyn

Well took the belt out and it was snapped indeed. Now is it really worth fixing it up? What are my options? Never pulled an engine out but I'm willing to learn. So I'm thinking that doing a leak down test might tell me if the valves are good or not. Found a Subaru Legacy for $1000 that has a blown engine which has the EJ206 but I have the EJ208. Might be not bad if I could use the body parts which I need as well use the heads possibly? The ad says Rod Knock but still runs who knows. Got the crankshaft lined up with the casting mark on the engine block.

A leak down test sounds reasonable at this point.

Either you replace the engine or do a rebuild. This is unknown territory for me as for the costs of both, so if anyone has an idea please do comment.

A leak down test sounds reasonable at this point.

Either you replace the engine or do a rebuild. This is unknown territory for me as for the costs of both, so if anyone has an idea please do comment.

Thanks for the input. I will be waiting for someone to give some more if I should rebuild my current one of just get a full engine.