LegacyGT.com

Parking brake recall for 6MT Legacy/Outback models

Received this notice via email from MyCARFAX yesterday. Anyone else? I wonder if they will provide reimbursement to those of you that had failures already.

09/10/2018

Manufacturer Safety recall issued

NHTSA #18V000000

Recall #WTV81 10-12 LEG&OUT EPB ACTR ASSY REPLACE

Click Here or email us at customers@subaru.com to locate an authorized Subaru dealership near you to obtain more information about this recall.

LEARN MORE

Description:

Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling all 2010-2014 model year Legacy and Outback vehicles equipped with a manual transmission (M/T), to replace the electronic parking brake (EPB) actuator assembly. Due to improper manufacturing processes, a capacitor on the circuit board and/or the actuator stroke sensor magnetic ring located in the control unit of the EPB may crack over time. If either component develops a crack, the brake telltale warning lamp will illuminate, and the EPB may not apply as intended.

If the manual transmission (M/T) shift lever is not in the recommended gear when the vehicle is parked and the EPB does not engage, the vehicle may roll away, increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy:

The EPB actuator assembly will be replaced on all 2010-2014 model year Legacy and Outback vehicles equipped with a manual transmission (M/T). Subaru will notify affected vehicle owners by first class mail within 60 days. Owners with a valid email address on file with MySubaru.com will also be notified by email. If parts are not available by that time, owners will be notified that parts are not available yet and they will be re-notified once parts are available. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-844-373-6614. Subaru's number for this recall is TKA-18. Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

EDIT: 16 November 2018, recall notice letter received from SOA

IMG_7980.thumb.jpg.3d61e58e0b59ee73ba9de972c5dc3144.jpg

IMG_7979.thumb.jpg.45530deebbf6f6ad2acdb846b00fde21.jpg

Edited by NVAKeith
Letter received.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for posting this and spreading the word!

I wonder why just the MT cars? Just because automatic cars will probably be in park and less likely to roll away when the brake fails, Subaru decides they dont need to be fixed??

Maybe they are just prioritizing the manuals while they stockpile parts for the thousands and thousands of automatic & CVT cars?

• 2 weeks later...

So the NHTSA indicates that "A recall is issued when a manufacturer or NHTSA determines that a vehicle, equipment, car seat, or tire creates an unreasonable safety risk or fails to meet minimum safety standards." - so it sounds like their rationale in this country is that for a car with a manual, the vehicle can roll away if the parking brake isn't engaged, whereas on a car with an automatic, and the transmission is in park, it doesn't.

I'll probably call it in at some point and make an appointment to get it done - however, on the NHTSA site it says "Recall Incomplete, remedy not yet available" so maybe they don't have parts available yet?

As for folks whom have had the part replaced already on their own - unless Subaru can demonstrate that the part they replaced is not impacted by the recall, they'd likely replace it again. Interesting that the recall is for 2010-2014, since the part number for the parking brake actuator is different for 2010-2012 and 2013-2014

Yeah, I wouldnt trust what is probably a dinky parking pawl to hold all that weight constantly, they should include the automatics too.

Guys who are getting this done, if you can post up details on how they implement the recall, it would be great!

I'm fairly sure 2013+ legacy still uses the same setup Subaru had probably updated the controller since 2010.

https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/auto-parts/2013/subaru/legacy/2-5i-trim/2-5l-h4-gas-engine/brakes-cat/parking-brake-scat

It would appear the 2015 remodel brought the new brake system.

Edited by FLlegacy

^Interesting! How does that work? Does it use the rear caliper too?

2013-2014 still have the drum inside the rear rotor. 2015+ has a parking brake actuator assembly (part 3 in the diagram) that actuates the rear caliper, replacing the cable actuated rear drum brakes.

Capture.thumb.JPG.a730985cf2ae0a7ca0c12064bdf35326.JPG

Yeah, I wouldnt trust what is probably a dinky parking pawl to hold all that weight constantly, they should include the automatics too.

Guys who are getting this done, if you can post up details on how they implement the recall, it would be great!

There are no details as of yet. I tried to set up an appointment. The recall has been issued, but the remedy hasn't. So now its sit and wait.

Thanks DrD, FLl for clarifying the parking brake setup!

TwoTone, thanks for the update!

I passed by the dealer and spoke to a service rep. Said there were no recalls in the system yet. He did offer to do the airbag recall though lol.

I didnt waste time discussing it further, he wouldnt be able to do abything even if I somehow convinced him. I'll try to send an email up the chain and see how it goes.

Edited by Scubaboo

I'm going to wait and get both the airbag and the parking brake recall done at the same time. I've also heard of a guy on this forum getting the part sent to him and replacing the part on his own because the dealership usually breaks the dash clips and then it squeaks forever. So I might do that instead. Edited by A_A_ron

I'm fairly sure 2013+ legacy still uses the same setup Subaru had probably updated the controller since 2010.

https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/auto-parts/2013/subaru/legacy/2-5i-trim/2-5l-h4-gas-engine/brakes-cat/parking-brake-scat

It would appear the 2015 remodel brought the new brake system.

correct, it is the 15+ cars that get the updated caliper integration.

when I did my rear brakes, I just made sure the parking brake was off, backed off the brake shoes via adjuster, changed pads and rotors, readjusted star wheel and was good to go.

Edit: there may never be a recall for the auto even if it has the same issue of not engaging as the car will not roll away when it is in "Park"

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

• 3 weeks later...

This looks like the item that was tacked onto the end of a email I got recently. Didn't pay it a lot of attention and threw the email away like I do all the others after at most a cursory glance, so I'm only thinking that it's the same number.

If it is in fact a recall, why haven't I got some official separate notification? No way should Subaru (or any mfr) expect everybody on their email list to read all of every email that starts out pitching their monthly specials and other advertising.

For the record our Legacy is a 6MT, but neither of us uses the e-PB very often at all. Never when parked on ground that's a reasonable approximation of level, front to back.

Norm

Norm, they haven't sent out notifications to owners because they don't have the parts to start fixing the issue. I believe early November is when they're expecting the parts

I got my recall notification (WTV-81-1) in the mail yesterday.