LegacyGT.com

what to do with factory nav unit

ch0232

I have the factory navigation unit installed in my ‘08 OutBack-XT and lately have been real disappointed in it. The quality and functionality is, let’s say lacking. It seems that whenever I am going somewhere that I need or would like the benefit of GPS, the unit does not either recognize the location or will see it, only to tell me that “…route guidance is unavailable for the remainder of the route, ( this was a fun one as the display changed to a greenish-brown showing only the triangle indicating the car). I looked at the update maps, but the latest one is over $200, which I find way over priced when one can buy a decent standalone unit for that price. The short answer was this update may help with new roads or locations not on previous map dvd’s, but from what I have read on this site and others, the graphics are still pixelly.

I have thought of pulling the display, opting to install the SPT gauge set which I would arguably get more value from than the update dvd. Then I could order the dash trim and install a more feature laden navigation unit. That or order a bracket for my phone, using it as the gps.

Guess just rambling and looking for feedback on anyone else with the factory nav and what their thoughts are…

'08 OutBack XT limited - Satin White Pearl

AVO FSB Bushings | Ralli-Tek RSB | AVO Drop-in filter

The nav setup is a hybrid satellite/dvd utilization, the satellite will track your position but the software has no roads to link that to. If you live in Guam, you'll probably want an updated cd(which there have been threads about, and can be had for $75 or so from a member here). Other than that, you either toss the unit or keep it. No other software options, yet.

Nope - live in the states, so the one for $75 would not work. That price would be a reasonable price to pay to just get some more use out of the unit. $200+ is just too much. I know the unit is made by Kenwood and I had noticed that their update dvd's are more than others from like Alpine, Clarion, etc. when comparing the aftermarket in-dash units.

My brain must not be working on all cylinders - I missed that reference to Guam.

Thanks for the tip - I'm now off comb the site for the details of the $75 disk.

I have the factory navigation unit installed in my ‘08 OutBack-XT and lately have been real disappointed in it. The quality and functionality is, let’s say lacking. It seems that whenever I am going somewhere that I need or would like the benefit of GPS, the unit does not either recognize the location or will see it, only to tell me that “…route guidance is unavailable for the remainder of the route, ( this was a fun one as the display changed to a greenish-brown showing only the triangle indicating the car). I looked at the update maps, but the latest one is over $200, which I find way over priced when one can buy a decent standalone unit for that price. The short answer was this update may help with new roads or locations not on previous map dvd’s, but from what I have read on this site and others, the graphics are still pixelly.

I have thought of pulling the display, opting to install the SPT gauge set which I would arguably get more value from than the update dvd. Then I could order the dash trim and install a more feature laden navigation unit. That or order a bracket for my phone, using it as the gps.

Guess just rambling and looking for feedback on anyone else with the factory nav and what their thoughts are…

I would go for the third option of getting the new nav maps for free. Look in the "new v6 released" for the torrent. I have been running v4 which I got from a torrent about two years ago (upgrading from v1) which made the unit MUCH better. The interface is the same, but now it had updated maps with roads. The thread on this page has a link to v6.1, but if you have trouble with that I am currently seeding v5 which I just put in the car and is working great.

Thanks - I am checking out the thread. Just finished exams so I can now spend some time on the car and this sounds like the perfect first step. It will be nice to see my house on a road versus a green screen.

Archived