LegacyGT.com

Oil level low but no leaks

Hello all,

I've had this issue with this car since I've owned it.

the car will randomly come up on the screen and warn me that my engine has low oil in the engine.

Each time this has happened, I was able to catch it quickly and add more oil to the car before anything major happens.

Wherever I end up stopping to buy more oil, I always lie down and feel under the engine. My hand comes back dirty, sure but not oily.

The car will typically take a 1-2 quarts before the dipstick reads high, and then I can be on my way.

I don't understand what is happening here.

There is not oil in the coolant reservoir and there is no blue smoke coming from the exhaust.

It seems more like the oil just vanishes without a trace.

I thought I had it figured out, but now I don't know.

I used to change the oil after 4000 miles since what I bought said it was good for 7500. Somewhere between 3K and 4K is usually when it happens. This last time however, it happened again at around 1.5K.

I typically change my own oil, but I have taken it to Subaru 3 times to have the oil done and it still happens.

I'm at a loss at this point. I now keep jugs of oil in my car which worries me in the hot SC heat.

Anyone have any ideas?

Blue smoke doesn't need to be present when an engine is consuming oil. For example, blow-by will result in oil consumption but is not obvious in the form of smoke exiting the exhaust.

I'd consider collecting an oil sample for analysis.

Hello all,

I've had this issue with this car since I've owned it.

the car will randomly come up on the screen and warn me that my engine has low oil in the engine.

Each time this has happened, I was able to catch it quickly and add more oil to the car before anything major happens.

Wherever I end up stopping to buy more oil, I always lie down and feel under the engine. My hand comes back dirty, sure but not oily.

The car will typically take a 1-2 quarts before the dipstick reads high, and then I can be on my way.

I don't understand what is happening here.

There is not oil in the coolant reservoir and there is no blue smoke coming from the exhaust.

It seems more like the oil just vanishes without a trace.

I thought I had it figured out, but now I don't know.

I used to change the oil after 4000 miles since what I bought said it was good for 7500. Somewhere between 3K and 4K is usually when it happens. This last time however, it happened again at around 1.5K.

I typically change my own oil, but I have taken it to Subaru 3 times to have the oil done and it still happens.

I'm at a loss at this point. I now keep jugs of oil in my car which worries me in the hot SC heat.

Anyone have any ideas?

It's a typical subaru engine.. I've noticed my 3.6r is usually down a quart about 1k miles before my scheduled oil change. I've had my car New since 2015 and have dealership oil changes the whole time.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

That's a significant oil loss. Do you notice oil on concrete when you park? Try placing a large piece of cardboard under car at night and see in the morning if there are any leaks. Next time it's in for an oil change ask them to look for leaks. Have you been using synthetic oil?

Even if you only find a small drop on the cardboard after sitting, you'd be surprised how much oil might be leaking when the engine is running. How do you feel the bottom of the engine? on my 2016 there is a plastic air deflector that covers most of the underbody. Another problem is oil often doesn't go straight down, so finding the source can be almost anywhere even if the spot on cardboard is halfway to the rear wheels.

Sometimes you get an oil burner.

In Canada, 8 years or 160,000 kms, there is a Warranty enhancement:

"If the vehicle has a yellow oil level indicator light and the light comes on before the next 10,000 km service, return the vehicle to the dealership where the dealership will perform a mileage check and an accurate oil consumption calculation. If the calculation shows oil consumption greater than 1 litre per 6,000 km, the engine will be repaired. If it is less, the vehicle is operating as designed and no further action is required."

https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=21674

Usually Canada just does what Subaru USA does (or not quite as good). Talk to your dealer about the consumption test. (1000 miles is about 1600 km; 1 litre about 1 quart)

• 1 month later...

Wow, for the last 20,000 miles or so the oil light on my 2015 with 125,000 miles has been going on after 4,000 miles and after checking the oil there is only a small amount left. I've read several threads going back to the litigation around 2016 and without knowing fir sure it seems to me like I have a carryover of the '13-'14 lemons that had defective piston rings.

I called the 1-800 number and they offered $750 towards a new Subaru and a coupon that would more than cover an oil consumption test. I had been planning to give our 17 year old this car before year end and buy a new Outback but I'm rethinking all of that now and might follow OP and buy my daughter a Corolla or Civic and me another non-Subaru vehicle.

Blegh.

^^^ IMO, an oil consumption rate of ~3,000 miles per quart is not excessive for a vehicle with ~125,000 miles on it. You really should be checking the oil level periodically, using the dipstick, rather than waiting for the "low oil level" light to come on. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Wow, for the last 20,000 miles or so the oil light on my 2015 with 125,000 miles has been going on after 4,000 miles and after checking the oil there is only a small amount left. I've read several threads going back to the litigation around 2016 and without knowing fir sure it seems to me like I have a carryover of the '13-'14 lemons that had defective piston rings.

I called the 1-800 number and they offered $750 towards a new Subaru and a coupon that would more than cover an oil consumption test. I had been planning to give our 17 year old this car before year end and buy a new Outback but I'm rethinking all of that now and might follow OP and buy my daughter a Corolla or Civic and me another non-Subaru vehicle.

Blegh.

Since I can remember My 15' 3.6r would use about 1qt of oil about 1k miles before my scheduled 5k mile oil change. I've always serviced my car at the dealer using synthetic 5/30 for me it's a typical Subaru issue to use a little oil..My 06' WRX Wagon did the same thing so I always check about 1k before my scheduled change.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Blegh.

Geez.. 16k and just under 2 years ago I had my clutch/flywheel replaced, and they did my rear main seal since they said it was leaking. I've noticed oil leaks under my bell housing and on my garage floor for some time now, well over a year, but couldn't figure out where they were coming from. Clutch has started slipping recently after only 16k, I think that new rear main seal is leaking onto the clutch disc/flywheel. Called SOA, they pretty much told me to pound sand, but $500 if I want to buy/lease a new subie! Just wonder why they offered you $750 and me $500, who knows. Also a little frustrating how little subie seems to stand behind their work, didn't offer to cover any of the bill to even investigate if it was discovered the parts from 2 years ago were leaking. Ohh, your car has a lot of miles, yeah, but those new parts don't... Sorry, just venting a little.