LegacyGT.com

Replacement midpipe?

Hey all - crossposting here a bit since I'm pretty sure the Leg and OB exhausts are the same. Car is a 2009 OB, non-turbo. My midpipe is leaking at the Y, pretty badly. Old age... Combine that with the leaks at both muffler gaskets and it's pretty annoying. Not loud but quite, well, flatulent.

Looking at the rest of the piping, the mufflers are in great shape but the midpipe is quite rusty so I don't think having a muffler shop weld up the holes is practical.

I'm looking at the Bosal 286-975, which can be had at a discount from Autozone right now. I wondered if anyone had experience with it? It's aluminized steel so it won't last forever, but I'm concerned that the bullet resonator will be louder than stock.

Any input appreciated.

No, I wouldn't know where to start with that. Pull N Pay type yards aren't big around here and frankly my supposition is that a used one might quickly develop the same problem I've got now. I'd much prefer to buy something new.

Have you tried finding a used OEM mid pipe? That’s going to be your best bet.

I have a stock mid with the resonator removed. I also have a catted DP and catless UP. car sounds great. Make great power. Do buy into the whole you need expensive stuff unless you going BIG turbo trying to make 500 plus.

No, I wouldn't know where to start with that. Pull N Pay type yards aren't big around here and frankly my supposition is that a used one might quickly develop the same problem I've got now. I'd much prefer to buy something new.

Even a semi clean oem pipe is better than a Walker or Bosal, in my opinion of course. I’ve never had much luck with these aluminized steel pieces on any car. If you’re car sees road salt, you might get a couple of years out of it. I’d still rather have a used oem pipe any day.

Going with a cheap Ebay stainless system might be an option. Just use the mid pipe and skip the mufflers.

Post your location here or start a WTB thread. Someone might have a mid pipe laying around.

Def post up your location or make a Wanted To buy Thread , and you should get a lot of hits, it is fails. Just put on a Bosal or Walker Y pipe they are less than $200 shipped to you and its a 2.5i performance is not an issue :) keep it cheap and simple!

Def post up your location or make a Wanted To buy Thread , and you should get a lot of hits, it is fails. Just put on a Bosal or Walker Y pipe they are less than $200 shipped to you and its a 2.5i performance is not an issue :) keep it cheap and simple!

Truth, I've continued to research and I hear that the Bosal often doesn't fit right (too short) and can be quite loud. No point in making noise if I can't go fast - that's what the other car is for ;)

I put a stainless North Eastern mid pipe on my wife’s CRV. So far it’s been pretty good.

Looks like they make one for an Outback

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173342583807

Good find, I didn't see that in my searches and I trolled ebay pretty hard. Thanks for that, at that price I'll definitely consider it (esp being stainless).