LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

I bought 2005 STI flywheel, clutch disk and pressure plate with STI TOB for this project, is that correct set of parts? Putting Mike's STI 6MT in my car.

Yes. All 6MT STI clutch parts work. Why would you buy OEM clutch though? Exedy stage 1 would be a better buy. Stock feel but stronger.

• 2 weeks later...

Hit a major snag today. I did order SpecB arms as suggested in first post in this thread:

Spec B Shifter Rod: 35041AG020

Spec B Shifter Stay: 35031AG020

and also ordered reverse lockout cable from SpecB as also listed in the first post:

Reverse lockout cable - 35060AG010

I decided to reuse the shifter rod itself as it wasn't mentioned in any discussions about 6MT swap.

Well today putting it all together found that I couldn't adjust the reverse lockout to work. Long story short - the SpecB cable lockout cable - 35060AG010 is about 2 inches longer than the cable that was installed on Mike's car. Now, after I went with SpecB stays I can't easily go back as the old reverse lockout cable is too short to work with SpecB stays.

Darn. Will put the tranny on the car tomorrow as is. I can replace the shifter arm from the top with the car in warm garage. I will have to order SpecB specific lever - 35011AG051 - it only fits SpecBs from 2007 to 2009. On top of that from the picture it appears the bracket holder with related hardware is different from STIs I ordered.

Oh joy.

Edited by SubOperator

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

It seems that my mix of 05 STI and 07-09 SpecB parts does not play well together. SpecB reverse lockout cable I ve got is too long and the STI lockout cable that came with the car is too short to work with new SpecB stays, plus it's way too rusty for my comfort. So, I need to go full SpecB setup I guess. Ordered these parts:

1. LEVER COMPLETE-GEAR SHIFT - 35011AG051 - 1 x $47.72 = $47.72

2. BRACKET-HOLDER,GEAR SHIFT - 35033AG070 - 1 x $25.72 = $25.72

3. SCREW & WASHER - 733148070 - 1 x $6.94 = $6.94

4. SEAT-SPRING GEAR SHIFT - 35068FE000 - 1 x $4.40 = $4.40

5. SPRING SEAT - 35043AG000- 1 x $7.16 = $7.16

suboperator, search my user name in this thread. I posted quite a bit of information about the shifter etc.

Most just lengthened the shifter rod or bought the spec b rod or used a 08+ rod. I didn't think the cable had to be changed.

Although I purchased the STS assembly for a spec B I believe and then used a Cobb shifter lever eventually.

Its been a while since I did the swap but search my user name and you may find what you need.

Guys

I verified this week that the only part that is different from the STI 6 speed shifter is the 35031AG020 Stay CP.

Here is a picture to prove this point.

In this picture I am comparing a brand new from STI SPEC B STS shifter with a modified 04-07?? STI shifter.

http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/50916/2410317020074087040S600x600Q85.jpg

The gold colored Stay CP in the pictures that is lengthened (with a smaller diameter piece inserted) is the STI version of the SPEC B 35031AG020 Stay CP.

So if you are using a STI shifter you could order just the STAY CP 35031AG020 and not have to lengthen your STI stay CP.

As you can tell the STI SPEC B shifter (silver) is already longer and matches the lengthened stock STI shifters Stay CP.

Also Unclemat had noted in a previous thread/post that you need to order the 35041AG020 ROD CP to get the gold colored joint piece in this picture because the 5 speed piece is different. You need this so the shifter is centered in the hole correctly.

So I ordered the 35041AG020 ROD CP and checked it against the joint part that was already on my 08 6 speed transmission and they are identical. So if your 6 speed comes with the gold joint piece shown in this pic you should be good to go. If you do not have this piece order 35041AG020 ROD CP and you will get the Rod and the joint piece.

If you have the gold colored joint piece in the below pic there is no need to order the 35041AG020 ROD CP as the rod portion is the same.

http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/51960/2754042120074087040S600x600Q85.jpg

Well finally finished my car and it drives great but damn these gears are short lol. I still need suspension and I’m planning on going with longer gears to enjoy the ride a little more. But thanks everyone for the support and help along the way!

Well finally finished my car and it drives great but damn these gears are short lol. I still need suspension and I’m planning on going with longer gears to enjoy the ride a little more. But thanks everyone for the support and help along the way!

Scooby2.5 thank you I will look it up.

Copying post for "What did you do to your 4th gen today" thread with unclemat's question and my response, so it can be useful to someone else:

WTH are you ordering?

All you need is SpecB STI short shifter assembly (comes with the correct cable) AND the stock SpecB "joint" - i.e. that cross piece, forget the proper name for it. 5MT is similar but does not place the shifter in the correct position. IIRC it could not be ordered separately and the only way to get it is to get if with the rod/linkage that you toss.

No Impreza parts are needed or wanted for the shifter.

Are you talking about part C1010AG100 for SpecB OEM STS kit? It is no longer available. Now I was trying to go with all SpecB specific parts for shifter linkage, so I ordered parts 35041AG020 that yes comes with that joint (two cylinders welded perpendicularly), 35031AG020 lower stay (the one the shifter lever goes into), and reverse lockout cable 35060AG010. All those are SpecB specfic parts. What I DID NOT order was the lever itself, it didn't come to me mind to cross check if STI and SpecB lever parts are the same.

Now the new reverse cable appears to be way too long to work with all new stays but old shift lever. and old reverse cable is too short to work with new SpecB stays I installed.

I would have no problems getting COBB's 6speed double adjustable shifter but afaik that does not come with cable so it will not solve the problem I am having.

Just for sanity check I compared the two reverse cables and they are about 2 inches different in length.

Now I placed an order for SpecB specific shifter lever as I hope it will work with the cable I've got. Thninking about it now if the cable is proper for SpecB linkage then may be COBB's SpecB specific STS lever will work. Hmm.

I will copy this post to 6MT Master swap thread where it belongs.

May be Mike will be here at some point. Mike do you recall whether you had STI shifter linkage on your car? The upper stay was modified, and SpecB stays I compared against your linkage were longer, so I am assuming it was OEM STI linkage.

May be Mike will be here at some point. Mike do you recall whether you had STI shifter linkage on your car? The upper stay was modified, and SpecB stays I compared against your linkage were longer, so I am assuming it was OEM STI linkage.

Shifter & reverse lockout cable was from 05 sti. Both shifting linkages was extended 3/8". See link below.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1568782&postcount=145

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I ordered COBB STS specific to 2007-2009 SpecB that replaces the OEM lever. Plus there is a chance to get used lever from guy that bought engine from Mike's LGT from me, he's in MA so not far. Edited by SubOperator

Random question for the masters here-

I have a 2005 GT 5speed and swapped in a 2008 JDM spec b trans. So far so good, however my shifter trim really prevents me from getting in first and second easily. Comparing the width of the 2007+ usdm shifter trim to mine, there seems to be a wider clearance on new models.

Did anyone else experience this or is my trim sitting awkwardly? Or do need to get an 07+ trim or USDM shifter assembly?

I purchased a spec B trim as the opening was larger and then used a STI badge in place of the SI drive badge. I posted it on here somewhere

Did you get lucky and find a part out 07+ spec B or buy new ?

Is the pic in this thread, interested to see what you did with the badge.

Have the shifter gear sorted out. Transmission is mounted on the car and shifter seems to work.

Here is the breakout of what parts I had to install. Just to refresh, this is 05 STI 6 MT with DCCD going in 05 Legacy GT. All shifter gear was being replaced.

SpecB parts I ordered:

Spec B Shifter Rod: 35041AG020

Spec B Shifter Stay: 35031AG020

SpecB reverse lockout cable: 35060AG010

SpecB shifter lever: 35011AG051 (or Cobb STS for 2007-2009 Legacy SpecB 6MT, Cobb part# 224316)

SpecB BRACKET-HOLDER,GEAR SHIFT: 35033AG070

SpecB SCREW & WASHER for bracket holder (you need 2): 733148070 - dealer price is a major rip-off, so you may find just some small screws around the house

SpecB SEAT-SPRING GEAR SHIFT: 35068FE000

SpecB SPRING SEAT: 35043AG000

I ordered Cobb STS 224316 for Legacy SpecB instead of OEM lever, and it fit perfectly with the above parts I listed. The missing piece from my order is the spring for reverse lockout slider, I bought the slider new, and spring from STI lever fit just fine.

One final word of advise is to test fit the lever while tranny is out. Have the reverse lockout position tested, verified and locked. Then, right before sliding tranny under tha car - undo the C-clip that holds the level in lower stay socket, and pull the level out. Keep the reverse lockout cable locked in slider which is on the lever. Then move tranny under the car and mount it.

Having the lever out of the lower stay will provide you additional 3-4" of clearance in the back. Keeping the reverse lockout engaged with slider pin will free you from having to worry about dealing with lockout cable later.

I wish I knew this before tranny was up on the jack and I was trying to align hole for lever and bell housing to go over the engine crossmember. Cost me another hour and risk of dropping the tranny of the jack.

I've used the original Extra-S. Was awesome, but no longer available.

Going with a cocktail of 1qt Amsoil MTF and Amsoil SevereGear 75w90 soon. I am getting a slight crunch on 2nd synchro on my 08 STI box, I will see how it helps.

Who did rebuild your 6MT, btw?

Hey guys

Still trying to find a 6 speed trim. I don’t think this would work-

Can anyone else help confirm this is the same size shifter trim in the 07 spec b ? What’s throwing me off is that it has a 5speed shifter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/05-09-Subaru-Legacy-GT-Manual-Trans-Shifter-Boot-Trim-Panel-OEM-Bezel-Knob-OEM/272850069032?hash=item3f8721a628:g:66QAAOSwEotZvVqF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Zack Spec B

I've used the original Extra-S. Was awesome, but no longer available.

Going with a cocktail of 1qt Amsoil MTF and Amsoil SevereGear 75w90 soon. I am getting a slight crunch on 2nd synchro on my 08 STI box, I will see how it helps.

Who did rebuild your 6MT, btw?

I have about 1 liter of Extra-S left but that's not enough. Will likely go with Motul, not sure about Redline.

I took it to RalliSpec in NJ for rebuiuld. There was another Subaru tuning shop in CT that does 6MT rebuilds but I couldn't get a firm quote from them so decided to go with tried and trusted RalliSpec.

Zack,

the one you found is regular 5 speed trim.

I believe the part you need is "Trim Panel Assembly - Subaru - 92121AG10".

At least that's what was mentioned here and that's what I will be ordering.

https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/oem-parts/subaru-trim-panel-assembly-92121ag10b

Edited by SubOperator
what's up with double spacing???

Did you get lucky and find a part out 07+ spec B or buy new ?

Is the pic in this thread, interested to see what you did with the badge.

I bought new, including the rubber boot under the surround.

The badge is from a STI front lip I think. Cant remember where I got it but maybe ebay.

IMG_0924.jpg.a238deb30da0beee0bd6b14397c5ea84.jpg