LegacyGT.com

Stock wheel lugs OK w Rota SDRs?

nomoreS4

Mounted my snows (Rota SDRs w Nokian WRs) this weekend. I'm a Subaru noob; in the Audi world, I know there were concave and cupped wheel bolts that I had to switch to match profiles on aftermarket vs. OE rims. But I'm pretty clueless as to Subaru lug fitment options. Subydude's web page for the Rota SDRs states "You will NEED aftermarket lugs to mount these rims... stock lugs will not fit properly!! ". I did source some cheap lugs locally, but when it came time to install, they were way too long and looked pretty fugly, so I ended up re-using my stock lugs on the SDRs. Granted, the stock lugs don't seem to have a maximal contact area with the rim, but it didn't seem worse than the contact area on the stock rims. Should I be concerned? Does the Subydude warning only apply to some other models?

I just got myself a set of OZ Racing superleggeras this morning and the original lug nuts from the LGT OEM wheels did not fit (OEM lug nuts were too small).

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='liquidiq']I would really recommend you have aftermarket lugs that seat better, but that's just me. Some nice McGard or Gorilla is what I recommend.[/QUOTE] OK..agreed that McGard or Gorilla would seat better, but is there anything seriously WRONG with the stock lugs on the Rotas? thanks for your recommendation.

[quote name='TeeLoo']I just got myself a set of OZ Racing superleggeras this morning and the original lug nuts from the LGT OEM wheels did not fit (OEM lug nuts were too small).[/QUOTE] Teeloo, in my case, there was lots of bolt sticking out...if I had any worries, it was that the original lug nuts weren't deep enough, and that they tightened down as far as they could go, but not holding the rims snug. No problems evidenced so far, but driving with a bit of (healthy?) paranoia.

nomoreS4, Could you please post a pic of your Rota SDRs installed just to see how your LGT now looks? Also a pic where you zoom on the wheel so that we can see the lug nuts fitment.

nomoreS4,

Could you please post a pic of your Rota SDRs installed just to see how your LGT now looks? Also a pic where you zoom on the wheel so that we can see the lug nuts fitment.

Teeloo, here's how the LGT looks now. I weighed the SDR+WR combo; was 40.5lbs, which was 3 pounds lighter than the OE rim w Eagle F1 GS-D3. Other pic will have to wait, will post after I take a snap.

rota_sdr.jpg.1a5570b7c65687fb1ad29053bd8b9c4e.jpg

[quote name='nomoreS4']Teeloo, here's how the LGT looks now. I weighed the SDR+WR combo; was 40.5lbs, which was 3 pounds lighter than the OE rim w Eagle F1 GS-D3. Other pic will have to wait, will post after I take a snap.[/QUOTE]Nice winter package!! I really like the looks of the SDRs on the LGT wagon although had I gone for Rotas, I would have gotten the Tarmac IIs. Are the Rotas SDRs intented to be a Prodrive 7 replica? Is that the anthracite or steel grey finish?

Guest *Jedimaster*
I use aftermarket lugs from Subydude- there "spline drive" lugs and they are very nice- the chrome has certainly taken a lickin and kept on tickin'.

[quote name='TeeLoo']Nice winter package!! I really like the looks of the SDRs on the LGT wagon although had I gone for Rotas, I would have gotten the Tarmac IIs. Are the Rotas SDRs intented to be a Prodrive 7 replica? Is that the anthracite or steel grey finish?[/QUOTE] I originally intended to get the Tarmac II's, but decided on the SDRs instead; they're 16.5lbs vs. 19lbs, and look easier to keep clean. They're the steel grey finish, which I think look good w Atlantic Blue. Yes, they're Prodrive 7 replicas.

[quote name='jedimaster']I use aftermarket lugs from Subydude- there "spline drive" lugs and they are very nice- the chrome has certainly taken a lickin and kept on tickin'.[/QUOTE] They have noname splines and McGards ($40 more)...which ones are you referring to?

I believe the stock wheels use a coned lug seat while the Rotas are different (possibly the rounded type of seat). I never had Rotas, but a lot of my WRX buddies did and they all bought new lugs (and kept a set of stock lugs in the glovebox in case they needed to mount the spare tire). SO I assumed that the lug seats on the Rotas were different than stock. BTW, this is not something to mess around with. It could easily be a catastrophic failure if the lugs and wheels did not match properly. Find out the real facts soon! Craig

I believe the stock wheels use a coned lug seat while the Rotas are different (possibly the rounded type of seat). I never had Rotas, but a lot of my WRX buddies did and they all bought new lugs (and kept a set of stock lugs in the glovebox in case they needed to mount the spare tire). SO I assumed that the lug seats on the Rotas were different than stock.

BTW, this is not something to mess around with. It could easily be a catastrophic failure if the lugs and wheels did not match properly. Find out the real facts soon!

Craig

Craig, I agree, I don't wanna mess around w this! I posted an email to the US Rota disti, but his mailbox was full; pursuing other means to determine exact specs for Rota lugs.

Per TL's previous post, I'm attaching some pics (stock rim seat closeup, Rota closeup, crap vs. stock lugs, and side view of SDR's on my wagon).

stock_rim.jpg.9ad6efed8bd7ceff1c5009a909b72a5c.jpg

rota_bolt.jpg.8d13fe9a68ec1454b9883bc0ad4e3c89.jpg

lugs.jpg.7b1dac3cfa04383fe6aeb24ea31cb652.jpg

side.jpg.bb17b3aaf303f7acd8482ea7ddb3546e.jpg

OK, got it all figured out (thanks, Subydude): stock Subaru rims have coned seats, while most aftermarket rims (including Rotas) are conical. I've kept my torque wrench in the car and been checking regularly if the lugs have loosened..all tight so far. Reminds me of an incident a few years back where I changed rims, hand tightened the bolts while the corner was still jacked, lowered the car, and forgot to torque down the bolts on that wheel. I drove a few miles, but heard a thunk everytime I stepped on the brakes. Checked the bolts...they were hanging on by just a few threads. I'll never repeat that mistake again!

[quote name='c_hunter']Those SDRs look nice on your wagon! Just to verify, for my information -- the lugs are compatible between Rotas and stock wheels? thanks, Craig[/QUOTE] NO! The Rotas require conical lug nuts, while the stock ones are cupped. If you put the stock lug nuts on a Rota (or most aftermarket rims), there won't be enough contact between the nut/rim to keep it tightened..potentially dangerous. I got some clone (non-McGard) spline lug nuts. I'm keeping a baggie of 5 stock lug nuts in the trunk, along w the spline key, in case I need to mount the spare.

Archived