LegacyGT.com

Im so confused... Suspension posts...

So I have read over every post and sticky and my head is swimming

I am confused... And befuddled..I posted late last year and now getting to this

I have a 2011 3.6R Limited with now 95K

Sway bars are settled....

Is there not a simple, plug and play suspension swap? I dont wanna lower my car. Im arthritic. Its low enough...

I just wanna ditch the buick like handling.. And like now. Its parked until i figure this out.. Ill let my ass hurt from the awful seat in my mini until then or drive the boring Acura

TIA and yes I am sure i missed something. I am sorry for asking something obvious but I sure as hell dont see it

What ive come up with FYI ( i think)

2014 Legacy Springs (all 4 corners)

Either Koni or KYBS

26 MM Front Sway Bar (orderd)

20 MM Rear Sway Bar (orderd)

Edited by OPoo321

nobody really makes quick struts for these cars, so the drop in is a little more involved, but like the others have said the upgrade to 13/14 struts and springs should make a solid difference

Well, Konis are great, but it's not a simple install (you need to either get donor struts and cut them to install the Koni dampers or pull yours and do it, or find a shop that will do it for you) - I believe there is a Cusco option someone posted about. Not sure what other aftermarket options there are for the 5th gen. If you go for OEM-like, then the 13-14 KYB struts that have been suggested are a good option. It depends on what your goal is performance-wise. if you just want it firm things up a bit, 13-14 springs and struts, along with the swaybars will be pretty transformational on how the car rides.

Not sure what the typical lifespan of Konis are but I am at 80k with mine installed. They have been very noisy for the past 20k. I checked that bottom bolt and it's torqued down. I have them paired with RCE blacks.

I believe they do lifetime rebuilds/replacements - if they seem like they are failing, and you're using the ones Koni calls out for your car (so 8610-1447 Sport inserts in front and 8010-1055 Sport shocks in the rear) I'd reach out to them. (they pretty specifically state if its anything other than the ones they specify for your car, you are sol, though)

Not sure what the typical lifespan of Konis are but I am at 80k with mine installed. They have been very noisy for the past 20k. I checked that bottom bolt and it's torqued down. I have them paired with RCE blacks.

I have about 50K miles on my Koni's paired with Eibachs and they still seem fine.

I believe they do lifetime rebuilds/replacements - if they seem like they are failing, and you're using the ones Koni calls out for your car (so 8610-1447 Sport inserts in front and 8010-1055 Sport shocks in the rear) I'd reach out to them. (they pretty specifically state if its anything other than the ones they specify for your car, you are sol, though)

Oh yeah. I forgot about the warranty. That's also something to keep in mind while selecting suspension. To be honest I love my Koni setup. It's a good mix for daily driving and sportiness. Took it autocrossing and they were great.

Did the same with my 2010, rides great for a daily driver.

If I'm replacing all four corners on my 2011, do I also put the 2013-14 spec rear shocks on? And in the case of the KYBs you're buying the springs from the dealer? RockAuto does show a quick-mount setup available. From FCS?

Edited by copyboy311
more info

If I'm replacing all four corners on my 2011, do I also put the 2013-14 spec rear shocks on? And in the case of the KYBs you're buying the springs from the dealer? RockAuto does show a quick-mount setup available. From FCS?

I got the 13-14 springs from the dealer, quite cheap, but a long wait,

20380AJ10A (front) and 20330AJ10A (rear)

and KYB everything else for 13-14. I did end up needing 1" spacers for the rear for some reason, but most people did not.

Does anyone have any feedback or opinions on this quick-strut kit from FCS?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8556948&cc=1446525&jsn=845&jsn=845

It is what it is, a budget option that's better than blown factory struts. I only see them as an option if you're really strapped for cash and desperately need to replace worn struts. Otherwise, just go with KYB.

Besides the struts and springs up front, are there any other suspension or steering bits in the front that I should consider? Some of the bushings look pretty dried out and useless, but I'm not sure which bushings they are.

if it were me i'd go ahead and just replace the control arms while you're in there. you can go OEM, or you can get mevotech supremes which have uprated but not overly stiff bushings...both options come with new ball joints IIRC. if you're doing the control arms you might as well do the sway bar links since you're already half way to changing them when removing the control arm. inspect the tie rods and replace if necessary since you're going to need an alignment anyways.

If you are doing struts, I'd do the strut mounts too.

If any bushing looks suspect, I suggest doing them all including the ball joint with OE parts, or getting a whole arm assembly like the Mevotechs.

If you are doing front sways, which from what I read includes dropping the subframe, I'd do the steering rack bushes while I'm there. That would also be a good time to do motor mounts.