LegacyGT.com

wheel bearing price

... Subaru bearings suck.

Do you have any objective evidence to back that up ... or is it just your opinion?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Just out of curiosity, which aftermarket bearing assembly did you go with?

I went with MOOG. Timken is also highly rated for wheel bearings. Both crowds seem to have their supporters. It's been 50k miles since and it's worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have any objective evidence to back that up ... or is it just your opinion?

There's enough complaints about it across all the Subaru forums that it raises a red flag for me. Also talked about it with my mechanic as I felt failure at ~30k miles was unusual. Probably couldve made Subaru replace it, but then I run the risk of it failing again prematurely. I'm fortunate enough to be in a spot where the cost is a minor annoyance and the lost time of having to take my car in is more of a setback than the money involved in the repair.

There's enough complaints about it across all the Subaru forums that it raises a red flag for me. Also talked about it with my mechanic as I felt failure at ~30k miles was unusual. Probably couldve made Subaru replace it, but then I run the risk of it failing again prematurely. I'm fortunate enough to be in a spot where the cost is a minor annoyance and the lost time of having to take my car in is more of a setback than the money involved in the repair.

Failure at ~30k is definitely unusual, but from my family's experience with 6 different Subarus (2 Outbacks, 2 Imprezas, 1 LGT, 2.5RS) all over 100k miles on their original wheel bearings.

We predominantly drive on highway and in rural/suburban areas, so maybe that has something to do with our positive experience.

There's enough complaints about it across all the Subaru forums that it raises a red flag for me.

Fair enough ... for a personal decision. But your failure to consider the unknown thousands of Legacy and Outback owners (including myself) who haven't reported wheel bearing problems doesn't justify your broad declaration that, "Subaru bearings suck." Besides, I don't think you realize how immature that sounds.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Fair enough ... for a personal decision. But your failure to consider the unknown thousands of Legacy and Outback owners (including myself) who haven't reported wheel bearing problems doesn't justify your broad declaration that, "Subaru bearings suck." Besides, I don't think you realize how immature that sounds.

And apparently you don’t realize how pedantic you’re coming across.

Took me 30 seconds to Google Subaru wheel bearing failure. Third result is this tsb.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165552-0001.pdf

Additional research unveils tsb 03-58-08. So far less than 60 seconds in to research this. It’s actually taking me more time to write this response. Subaru has had a history of wheel bearing issues. You can like Subaru and still acknowledge where they fall short. I do, however, concede that Google probably tailored those results to me because I previously looked up Subaru wheel bearing failure.

Failure at ~30k is definitely unusual, but from my family's experience with 6 different Subarus (2 Outbacks, 2 Imprezas, 1 LGT, 2.5RS) all over 100k miles on their original wheel bearings.

We predominantly drive on highway and in rural/suburban areas, so maybe that has something to do with our positive experience.

Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case. I switched to a Subaru so that I could go into the mountains (am avid skier and outdoors person, though not quite off-roader). I would argue, though, that a significant portion of their customer base also does the same or similar activities so I would expect that to be considered in their engineering.

Introducing straw issues does nothing to support your contention that "Subaru bearings suck."

1) TSB 03-58-08 only applied to MY 2005 and 2006 Legacys and Outbacks. It has nothing to do with MY 2015 and later vehicles.

2) TSB 05-70-19 does not apply to any Legacy or Outback. Nor did it concern defective hub/bearing assemblies; it only applies to some out-of-spec brake backing plates.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

Paid a lot more than you guys for the rear driver's side bearing in my 14 FXT. I got most of the bearing off myself, but not the outer hub assembly. It was so rusted in there, nothing I did would make it budge. I had a local indie bust it out and install the new one. If I have to do another bearing I'll let them charge me book and eat the rest. Total waste of my time trying to get it out.

"four bolts and it's out," they said. "SUPER easy to do on Subies," they said....

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Paid a lot more than you guys for the rear driver's side bearing in my 14 FXT. I got most of the bearing off myself, but not the outer hub assembly. It was so rusted in there, nothing I did would make it budge. I had a local indie bust it out and install the new one. If I have to do another bearing I'll let them charge me book and eat the rest. Total waste of my time trying to get it out.

"four bolts and it's out," they said. "SUPER easy to do on Subies," they said....

I haven't done one yet, but there is a tool called the Hub Buster that I'm going to buy, bolts to the hub and let's you whack it with a sledge hammer until it comes off... might need an alignment after, though

Edited by motorbreath

I haven't done one yet, but there is a tool called the Hub Buster that I'm going to buy, bolts to the hub and let's you whack it with a sledge hammer until it comes off... might need an assignment after, though 😁

I first tried a slide pull. It pulled alright - the bearing out of the hub assembly!!!

I then put all four fasteners in a few turns loose, then banged on each from the inside with a punch and a 5# sledge. Didn’t budge one little bit over several days of too trying!

If you live where salt lives, good luck to you!

Got a link to that buster?

'15 FB25

Got a link to that buster?

Here it is,

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Removal-replaces-Tools-compatible/dp/B0885XWFWG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=hub+buster&qid=1616239771&sr=8-3

You might need to get M12x1.25 nuts with larger washers, there are several YouTube videos demonstrating its usage. In a few of them it doesn't work, but mostly it does, mostly...

Here it is,

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Removal-replaces-Tools-compatible/dp/B0885XWFWG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=hub+buster&qid=1616239771&sr=8-3

You might need to get M12x1.25 nuts with larger washers, there are several YouTube videos demonstrating its usage. In a few of them it doesn't work, but mostly it does, mostly...

That works similar to the hub slide puller, in that it bolts to the lug studs. Yea, I pulled the hub in half doing that! No worky!

'15 FB25

That works similar to the hub slide puller, in that it bolts to the lug studs. Yea, I pulled the hub in half doing that! No worky!

I think (and hope!) that is less likely to happen with the hub buster, it pulls out AND down simultaneously, not straight out, so there should be a decent amount of force keeping the two sides together. I'll let you know when I start replacing bearing assembles :)

• 3 weeks later...
There should be a sticky giving people a heads up their bearings are going to need to be replaced and not to go with another oem one

No one has ever presented statistical data that would support such conclusions. If you have objective evidence to share, we'd be glad to see it. Anecdotal reports are not evidence.

spacer.png

• 1 year later...

Just replaced my first (left rear) at 90K kms (60K miles). I bought the part for $225 CAD - Timken -- about $165 USD. It cracked loose with a 4 lb hammer hit, but took another 90 minutes of chisel prying, hammering, bolt pressure, etc. Glad I have a mechanic friend.

Anecdotally, I'm not impressed with having to do the bearing replacement -- none of my prior cars had a problem over a combined 500,000 miles or so (mostly Toyota, a Mazda, also Ford & GM). Only the Mazda was new when purchased. Whether Subaru bearing parts are inferior, to all current parts, I don't have the data. Could be a function of the newer weight and cost saving measures.

Guess I'll just wait for the next time my car whines and I'll whine again too !

Edited by waldguy

No one has ever presented statistical data that would support such conclusions. If you have objective evidence to share, we'd be glad to see it. Anecdotal reports are not evidence.

Just an anecdote, but my new OE bearing (its first replacement) started failing soon after replacement. It’s now as bad as it was before the replacement, but has not gotten worse. I’ll replace it if it gets worse or starts to grind.

It very well could be the opposite side bearing, but it sounds identical to the previous failed bearing.

'15 FB25