LegacyGT.com

Starting suspension soon

Trying to get the ball rolling with this car and I figured after I get it back from the shop, I'll want to get started on the suspension. Won't be doing anything crazy, just going to replace the springs (either HR or swifts) and put in some new shocks or struts or whatever. I've heard the 2013's are the way to go if you're sticking with OE. What I'd like to know is what other suspension bits should I take care of while I'm under there? I'm sitting on 122k and would imagine some other stuff may need a swap. Any suggestions?

Also, quick sidebar...I would like to snag a set of GT wheels (let me know if you know of any for sale) and would like to know what amount of rubbing, if any, will take place with those OE wheels and basic lowering springs.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd do new strut/shock mounts with new dampers.

I think you can put cam bolts for both strut hub bolts for more camber, now would be a great time to put them on.

The pancake bushing is the weak part of the front lower arm, first part that usually gives way. You can rebuild the arm with parts piecemeal from Subaru , or put in a whole Mevotech arm that come with solid pancake bushings.

For the rears, I'd like camber arms to get camber equal, and larger rear sways.

EDIT: GT wheels and stock sized 225 45 18's will not rub at all with any basic lowering.

I'd do new strut/shock mounts with new dampers.

I think you can put cam bolts for both strut hub bolts for more camber, now would be a great time to put them on.

The pancake bushing is the weak part of the front lower arm, first part that usually gives way. You can rebuild the arm with parts piecemeal from Subaru , or put in a whole Mevotech arm that come with solid pancake bushings.

For the rears, I'd like camber arms to get camber equal, and larger rear sways.

EDIT: GT wheels and stock sized 225 45 18's will not rub at all with any basic lowering.

I should also point out that I drive a pig of a 3.6 and really have no intention of turning into a track star. I just wanna like the way it looks when I walk to the parking lot. I'm actually considering sticking with new 2010 struts cuz I dont mind the feel of mine and I hear the 2013's just firm things up abit and also just replacing bushings and leaving the sway bars alone.

Oh ok, I know what you mean! In that case something like 2010 struts and Eibach springs should be good. In my previous Forester I put Swift springs on slightly upgraded KYB's and they still ride close to stock. Definitely more comfy then coilovers/sways/etc on the LGT now.

New 2010 spec OEM dampers, one of the less aggressive lowering springs like Eibach or Swift, new OEM damper mounts, and new OEM everything else as needed, IMO.

Just ordered 2013/14 KYB struts from RA yesterday to pair with Eibach springs. If you get an order in before the end of the month, KYB has a $25 rebate. Came to $244 with shipping and tax, so $219 after rebate.

Got a pair of aftermarket front mounts on ebay for dirt cheap... https://www.ebay.com/itm/231605979401. Plan to reuse boots, bump stops, rear mounts, etc.

Also got a pair of those adjustable rear lower arms sitting here. I see there's cheap rear toe arms on ebay for like $60 a pair that are listed for the BRZ/86. I'll probably wait to do all the rear arms and the front control arms next spring. Short on cash right now and any work that doesn't get done in the next month or so will have to wait since I hate working in the cold.

The 13/14 KYBs on Eibachs work for me (no rubbing on 8.5 x18 +45 Enkei rims with 245/40s) but I do recommend upgrading at least the rear sway bar as well. Even if it’s never going to the track (mine either), the handling and balance change is appreciable.

Yep, got a 13/14 front bar and WRX rear bar waiting to go on along with CKSSP poly bushings. Got the bars from ebay for about $120 total. Not looking forward to doing the front bar. I have one of those strut tower engine hoist gadgets, but haven't checked the engine for suitable strap points yet.

The 13/14 KYBs on Eibachs work for me (no rubbing on 8.5 x18 +45 Enkei rims with 245/40s) but I do recommend upgrading at least the rear sway bar as well. Even if it’s never going to the track (mine either), the handling and balance change is appreciable.

So I have changed my mind regarding the coilovers, I do not want it any lower than it currently is and I am also worried about the comfort and longevity of the pillow ball mounts. Seems like 2013/14 springs and dampers are the way to go for a modest increase in performance. My only question should I use the 2010-12 strut mounts? Does the 2013/14 strut mount fit? It seems to have a different part number.

I'll pickup 2013/14 springs from the Subaru dealer, then the Whiteline front+rear swaybar kit, although the front installation looks like a real pain.

Yep, got a 13/14 front bar and WRX rear bar waiting to go on along with CKSSP poly bushings. Got the bars from ebay for about $120 total. Not looking forward to doing the front bar. I have one of those strut tower engine hoist gadgets, but haven't checked the engine for suitable strap points yet.

The ac bracket has a suitable attachment and I think there is a hoop on the bellhousing on the passenger side as well.

The ac bracket has a suitable attachment and I think there is a hoop on the bellhousing on the passenger side as well.

Exactly what I used. I had a load leveling bar so I was able to use both, but the engine kind of pivots on the rear transmission mount, so you might be able to get away with using one point.

My only question should I use the 2010-12 strut mounts? Does the 2013/14 strut mount fit? It seems to have a different part number.

The mount is a lego part. This is what KYB has listed for mount compatibility...

SAAB 9-2X 2005-2006

SCION FR-S 2013-2016

SUBARU BAJA 2003-2006

SUBARU FORESTER 1998-2008

SUBARU IMPREZA 1993-2007

SUBARU LEGACY 1990-2016

SUBARU OUTBACK 2000-2016

TOYOTA 86 2017-2019

Awesome, appreciate the responses guys. Can anyone spell out specifically which bushings I should target?

So far I'm thinking some 2010 struts and all things associated to replace and adding some swift springs along with a rear sway bar swap and whatever bushings you all deem are necessary.

Awesome, appreciate the responses guys. Can anyone spell out specifically which bushings I should target?

So far I'm thinking some 2010 struts and all things associated to replace and adding some swift springs along with a rear sway bar swap and whatever bushings you all deem are necessary.

That would be pretty much good for a mild performance bump. No need to go beyond OEM for bushes at that level IMO.

Not looking to hijack the OP's thread. Seems like he has the same questions I do.

I'm looking to do some strut upgrades as well, without lowering. Basically whats he's looking to do. On the dirt road up to my house I already scrape every now and again. 2010 GT on the stock suspension

I see two options

OEM 13/14 springs and struts - this will bolt right in - My question is - Does it matter if it's outback or legacy? Does it matter if it's 2.5 or 3.6?

It seems they are interchangeable from reading the suspension thread. Is there any difference at all? I know they are 15% stiffer. I'd probably look for a low mileage used set to see if I like it before replacing the dampers themselves. More options make it easier to find in the yard.

Do the cut a strut - Use my (or buy donors) front strut housings to insert the koni front shocks. rears bolt in. If I do this what would be the best spring option without lowering the car?. I know you guys that have them, love them ... I'd love to do it but lowering the car on a dirt road on a mountainside isn't compatible.

Lastly the 20mm rear swaybar was the 2008+ WRX correct?

Edited by poconoracing

Not looking to hijack the OP's thread. Seems like he has the same questions I do.

I'm looking to do some strut upgrades as well, without lowering. Basically whats he's looking to do. On the dirt road up to my house I already scrape every now and again. 2010 GT on the stock suspension

I see two options

OEM 13/14 springs and struts - this will bolt right in - My question is - Does it matter if it's outback or legacy? Does it matter if it's 2.5 or 3.6?

It seems they are interchangeable from reading the suspension thread. Is there any difference at all? I know they are 15% stiffer. I'd probably look for a low mileage used set to see if I like it before replacing the dampers themselves. More options make it easier to find in the yard.

Do the cut a strut - Use my (or buy donors) front strut housings to insert the koni front shocks. rears bolt in. If I do this what would be the best spring option without lowering the car?. I know you guys that have them, love them ... I'd love to do it but lowering the car on a dirt road on a mountainside isn't compatible.

Lastly the 20mm rear swaybar was the 2008+ WRX correct?

You want Legacy parts. The KYB struts are only like $175 on rock auto, the springs were little over $100 from a Subaru last time I check. If you want to know how they drive, test drive a 2013 or 2014 Legacy.

20mm is 2015 WRX, 19mm is 2008-2014 EX

Just picked up a set of stock GT wheels in good shape. Quick question for any GT owners lowered on stock wheels...

What size spacer should I expect to need when I mount these wheels? Obviously I won't be slammed with a set of lowering springs but I would like to have the wheels sit further out and more flush with the fender and not have any rubbing issues.

Lowered LGT, stock LGT wheels with 225 45 18 tires, 20mm spacer.

This is my spare, I need a 20mm spacer when installed at the front to clear Brembos.

No rubbing, but I only drove it from my place to the tire shop a few miles away. But between the parking building ramps and the tire shop driveway with lots of turning on steep ascents and inclines, I'm confident it wont rub at all.

6My9bev.jpg

z4wZAB2.jpg

chUj9yt.jpg