LegacyGT.com

Input from the 'paint' gurus here

I'm going to give myself some experience painting on my OEM sets of wheels. Not worth it to pay the $ for powder coating, so I'll be doing the clean/sand/tack/primer/paint method.

My question: I'd like to match them to the Crystal Black Silica color of the car, but would obviously pay more per can of automotive touch up paint for that color code. Would the duplicolor cans of gloss black blend well with the car's black paint? Pics would be helpful. I'm also debating on going with bronze, but I can research pics on how those would look.

Thanks.

I had to redo one of my OZ rims last year (Costco screwed up the finish with bead seal when they did a repair for me).... I did it by scrubbing down the original silver paint with a green kitchen scrubby pad then wiped it with a damp cloth. After it dried I masked off the tire and valve stem and sprayed it with Trem-clad silver....3 very light coats :)

Is it perfect? No....but unless you get down and check it close up you would never know. Having it professionally re-painted was going to be $300.

BTW it is the front drivers side in the pic.

CjWJKYw.jpg

For wheels that will get swapped for winters, I don't expect too terrible wear and tear on a spray can paint job. And as mentioned here and across da webz, some pretty decent results can be had if being patient and diligent.

I think I'm going to go with the Bronze, so the black match issue can be avoided. Don't want to be accused of blackface wheels :lol::icon_mrgr

The wheels also might go on my Impreza for a few months before the Legacy's tires call it in.

To have some fun though, I'm going to paint the inside of the wheel well black, and only the surface and lip of the wheel bronze. Finish it all off with clear coat.

Now I just need to determine whether to spray the calipers red or purple :confused: (I like classic, but also different colors)

I painted a set of wheels and I even powder coat a set of rims.

With painting wheels you have to clean and scuff it with sandpaper high grit then clean it again and prime it, paint it then clear coat it. You want to do it in section with a nice smooth strokes and even spray. Let everything cure for a few days or more then coat of wax.

Archived