LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Entered the world of fatherhood and welcomed my little girl into the world last Thursday. All projects on hold :D Can't wait for her to be able to hand me my 10mm socket.

Congrats , indeed......family never gets old. We have 5 generations on the go right now and our great grand son turns 3 years old on Thursday...the party will include all the generations.... Great-great grandma (my mother in law)....my wife and I .....our daughter (Grand ma) and our grand daughter (mom) and his new brother just a few months old

Family is forever...cherish it and enjoy the ride!!:wub:

Entered the world of fatherhood and welcomed my little girl into the world last Thursday. All projects on hold :D Can't wait for her to be able to hand me my 10mm socket.

Congrats. Welcome to the fatherhood club

Congrats , indeed......family never gets old. We have 5 generations on the go right now and our great grand son turns 3 years old on Thursday...the party will include all the generations.... Great-great grandma (my mother in law)....my wife and I .....our daughter (Grand ma) and our grand daughter (mom) and his new brother just a few months old

Family is forever...cherish it and enjoy the ride!!:wub:

Man that's awesome! We've got 4 generations going strong right now, and unless my oldest son (7yrs) gets an unexpectedly early start, we'll probably stay between 3-4 gens

Congratulations! Next step, open a Virginia 529 plan and get on a waiting list for daycare. NoVA is brutal with daycare and preschool, at least around Arlington, and by the time she’s ready for college it’ll be even more ridiculously expensive. Puts Subaru mods in perspective, though. If my kid ends up going into the service or to prison, I can afford the Brembos. If he actually goes to college then I’ll be limited to mediocre wiper blades. Maybe.

tellin yall, you need to move a couple hours south down to richmond. much more affordable. sure, we got some riots every now and then, but you take the good with the bad.

for real though, grats loyal, big steps.

Thanks, everyone! Been a wild week haha

Currently setting the 529 up now. Hoping for those scholarships, though! :D Still paying my student loans. We have a couple of daycare targets, but 1 in particular. We called around and with Covid a lot don't have wait lists. We're worried how tough it will be though when everyone goes to send their kids back.. but fortunately we have until around January until we need to make that decision. We slowly made our way out from Alexandria, to Centreville, and now Gainesville. If it wasn't for commute times, I would have been looking at Winchester or further lol A few years ago we almost made a move to Richmond with the job I had. Thankful we didn't though lol Cheers all! Looking forward to not being too tired to drink a beer in celebration.

I graduated today! Had our virtual ceremony through a youtube stream lol. Masters in Industrial Engineering, send recruits my way!

That's awesome, congratulations! Have you looked into Lockheed Martin they are always looking for Engineers especially locally. Any particular field you are interested in?

As far as a 529 plan, I looked into one a couple years ago, I was mostly deterred by all the restrictions on them. I decided instead to contribute more to my 401k and if/when the time came to withdraw from there for tuition.

Edited by FLlegacy

The Legacy is up for sale. Asking $6k, but so far only scammers have contacted me.

What do you think - is that price too high? What would you price it at?

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/scottsdale-2010-legacy-gt-limited/7170289219.html

In my area that car would be considered overpriced since it has over 200k miles. People tend to get scared off when they see custom wheels and other custom parts on a car as well. I'd bet if you cleaned the headlights as best as you could, it might even get more people to consider it.

In my area that car would be considered overpriced since it has over 200k miles. People tend to get scared off when they see custom wheels and other custom parts on a car as well. I'd bet if you cleaned the headlights as best as you could, it might even get more people to consider it.

I’d agree with Alex about the description. I don’t think the price is the issue per se, it’s who is the customer your trying to get to buy this car.

You’re targeting a middle aged guy looking to have something more fun than a Honda Accord. They are not going to want or care about the mods. It’s says molested. They want reliable and fun. Sunroof, heated seats power stuff. Your average guy with kids hoping to get something fun he can get past his wife lol

Take out all the mods and the hp numbers, frame the car as a grownups sti. Its regularly serviced, adult owned and driven. Everything works, etc. bought an new car because I needed a hatch (bought a Crosstrek right?)

When he gets the big ass smile as he mats the pedal on the test drive you mention the protune, etc.

Edited by poconoracing

200k miles tends to scare folks up in the rust belt because, well, rust... not as big a deal in the southwest. I agree with what's been posted, though - AP, front mount, STi cams, heavy clutch, etc. - that mileage + those mods are a red flag for most.

I also agree that appearance is important - I'd pop the front and rear bumper covers back in as best you can, definitely refinish the headlights, add a picture of the trunk and of the engine (clean the engine bay up - I wouldn't use armor all and make everything shiny, but definitely clean it up) - a car that looks like it was well maintained can do a lot to get folks to look past the high mileage.

Pricing is always tough - looking on Edmunds and they put the car at around $3.6k... right or wrong, that's where other folks are going to look as well. (it's a rare enough version that I wouldn't think they'd have good numbers for it (if you run a 3.6R with the same miles, it comes out a little higher), but even so, folks need a reference point)

Edited by DrD123

Pricing is always tough - looking on Edmunds and they put the car at around $3.6k... right or wrong, that's where other folks are going to look as well. (it's a rare enough version that I wouldn't think they'd have good numbers for it (if you run a 3.6R with the same miles, it comes out a little higher), but even so, folks need a reference point)

Kelley Blue book tends to have the highest prices for cars. Edmunds tends to always be lower than KBB, and NADA is super underpriced for cars...

Learned today that there is an oddball 18mm rear sway that came on some models of the JDM BR9 Wagon, and a very small selection of US models as well. Below is the parts diagram for a 2014 JDM Legacy DIT Wagon, 20451 references part number 20451FG010, which does in fact show up on a very small selection of US models: 2008-2010 STI Hatch, and 2014-2016 Crosstrek Hybrid ONLY. This was likely replaced by the 19mm bar in 2011 and the 20mm bar in 2015, and probably tossed on the Crosstrek Hybrid because they had extra stock of it or something. Learn something new every day.

rnz5CFY.png

Doltc8r.png

Kelley Blue book tends to have the highest prices for cars. Edmunds tends to always be lower than KBB, and NADA is super underpriced for cars...
That's funny - years ago, Edmunds was the high one! KBB puts it at $5k, so definitely higher!

The Legacy is up for sale. Asking $6k, but so far only scammers have contacted me.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/scottsdale-2010-legacy-gt-limited/7170289219.html

Try facebook marketplace.

NADA puts in it $10,775 and $7,225, those are dealer retail and trade in pricing (not private sales). I don't think book values accurately represent high miles or ultra low miles. In theory you should be able to somewhere between those values but the high miles and cosmetic issue probably knock it down. I think it should be worth what you are asking though.

I advertised my 2011 on a Saturday and really didn't get any real potential hits until the weekend after. Last month, I sold my '11 GT for 10,500 with 127k miles for reference. I had a couple $9500 offers. (Book was $12,300 and $8900 trade, though it looks it went up since last month ~+$200) My car was cleaner. I ultimately sold it through C/L, but I got more serious inquiries through FB.

IMO The mods don't really help with value. I am sure you car goes pretty good with those mods. I would trying to fix the front bumper cover. It might need a push pin clip and to pull it off and reput it back on.

I have seen KBB sometimes is right on, other time I seen it what I think is high, other time low. Edmunds seems to be all over the place, I have seen them price a car at 10k when other have priced them for 20k.

One issue with 5th Gyn Legacy GT is usually you are the only one locally FS. (I did actually have another one I was complete with when I sold mine though).

Your area also doesn't have many comparable regular 5th Gen FS as well. Locally I had a dozen or so 2.5i so it is easier for buyer to justify the premium for the turbo model.

Thanks for all the input. Good stuff. I had a hard time trying to price it. A couple of dealers offered me $1000 and $750 trade in, which I knew was wrong, but then a 2.5i with similar miles and dings/scratches is borderline worthless.

I also had a hard time trying to write the description. I don't want to scare people away, but it is a turbo Subaru with 200k miles on pretty much everything but the clutch. Significant repairs such as a blown engine are a legitimate risk.

Clearly I don't have a future as a used car salesman...

I see that you updated the ad. I was going say I would remove the low mount turbo part of the ad which you did. You don't want someone to get confused and think you have some Frankenstein motor.

I would list the mods. You do not want to mislead anyone. They are going to know it is modified once the engine is start it up. You might pick up some WRX buyers. It seemed like I was when I was selling my '11 GT.

I would play up the rarity of the car as well. 1 of 1411 2010 Legacy GT's made and 1 of 319 Steel Gray Metallic 2010 Legacy GT

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4113126&postcount=32

Edited by dgoodhue