LegacyGT.com

BRZ video

DeathD

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm nearly decided that I am going to try to pick one up when it comes out. Honestly I prefer the look of the Scion, but I think those will be everywhere.

I also hate the wheels, but I'd probably want to swap them regardless.

Think there will be mark-up on the first few that hit dealers? I wouldn't think so since the Scion should be held to their Pure-Pricing creed.

I'm nearly decided that I am going to try to pick one up when it comes out. Honestly I prefer the look of the Scion, but I think those will be everywhere.

I also hate the wheels, but I'd probably want to swap them regardless.

Think there will be mark-up on the first few that hit dealers? I wouldn't think so since the Scion should be held to their Pure-Pricing creed.

I may consider it as well. I really would like to know how much different the

motor will be than say what's in the WRX/STi. If doing a swap isn't too bad,

the price may still be worth doing a transplant and not wait for the turbo

version.

Just saw a clip with the Scion with a tach reading up to 9k. Could this be

on a boxer motor stock? The styling may be hit or miss, but I think the

mechanical engineering of Subaru and Toyota may actually work.

And by the way, those whining about it not having a turbo, you need to

drive a high revving 4 that is light and can corner. I guarantee you that

you will be surprised with this car. Being able to hold gears through long

sweepers is key on the track.

Those numbers are estimates but are poor estimates. They estimate 170 tq from 6400 to 6600 rpm... 170 ft. lb. torque at 6400 rpm equals 207 hp at 6400 and at 6600 equals 213 meaning the peak 200 hp at 7000 isn't actually the peak. :lol:

Holding tight to see what actual numbers are, I bet they will be better than that.

Also they say they can't fit a turbo in there. Its cause they are doing it wrong. That thing is direct injected meaning they could easily do an idea I've always had for the boxer engine (well, any direct injected engine really)... intake manifold on bottom, turbo manifold on top. Allows for a very short turbo manifold, plenty of room, and since heat rises should keep substantially less heat out of the intake manifold. Oh well... :(

Just saw a clip with the Scion with a tach reading up to 9k. Could this be

on a boxer motor stock? The styling may be hit or miss, but I think the

mechanical engineering of Subaru and Toyota may actually work.

You can't possibly think this. The tach goes to 9. But see the little red bit between 7500 and 9000? The engine can't rev there. The tach could read to 42k, but the engine won't rev past 7500.

And by the way, those whining about it not having a turbo, you need to

drive a high revving 4 that is light and can corner. I guarantee you that

you will be surprised with this car. Being able to hold gears through long

sweepers is key on the track.

You know what else is key on the track? Being fast. And you know what doesn't matter on the street? Being able to hold a gear through a long sweeper. It only revs to 7500RPM. That isn't a "high revving 4".

I'm not interested. I'm simply not in the market for a slow 2-door. A fast 2-door, I'd consider. Not a slow one.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I like everything except those wheels.

Feel free to complain about the low HP, Trq number. This is a RWD, small coupe, not your average legacy sedan, yo dont need 300hp to keep this thing rolling... high rev is all I need in these.

I trust toyota when they actually slam the 86 badge with the car (subaru BRZ whatever) -via corolla ae86 ;)

edit: anyone must be an idiot to compare this with a STI or EVO, since the 86 is in a different category (sure you can say they are all sport car, but sorry no). Subaru didnt turbo it because there need to be a market share for their STI, and while this 86 has plenty of room to mod.. who need a stock turbo anyway

http://hooniverse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/perfect-toyota-sprinter-trueno-ae86_akashi-bridge.jpg

Then you should buy a car that revs high. 7500 isn't high, and engine RPM is independent of gear ratios. It's likely the ratios will be short to take advantage of the lower power... Which violates the benefit of the "high" rev limit.

I hope I'm wrong, but so far this doesn't tick any boxes on my "sports car want list" other than good looks.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The nature of boxer engine wouldn't let the rev >7500rpm, I believe.. why? I'm not working for Subaru so don't account me on this.. but I bet it has something to do with the H cylindrical direction. (mechanically)

It's not Honda 4-banger and I would take this one rather than S2k anytime :)

The nature of boxer engine wouldn't let the rev >7500rpm, I believe.. why? I'm not working for Subaru so don't account me on this.. but I bet it has something to do with the H cylindrical direction. (mechanically)

It's not Honda 4-banger and I would take this one rather than S2k anytime :)

You can rev a flat engine higher. There are several builds out there where guys rev past 8500.

They even used some flat layouts for a few formula cars IIRC. Those easily cleared 10k.

The point is, 7500 isn't a "high revving" engine.

again, I get your point 7500 isn't high.. but there must be a reason why they made it that way which none of us have any intel on :confused:

well, I guess we will have to wait for couple years to see how this 86 turns out. I still like it tho, but i rather get the toyota version

btw, if toyota named it 86, then it shouldnt belong to the race track, its a drifter. I guess thats why they need to borrow low center of gravity H engine from subaru to get thing balanced out.

7500 rpm will last a very long time on this engine. It's an engineering design for the cost and performance constraints of the design. It could rev to 10k and cost $5k more a unit and only live to 120k miles, or it could rev to 7500 and last 300k miles. (hypothetical values).

That being said this thing could be better with 250 7000 rpm turbo ponies or 200 8500rpm ponies. I will hold judgment until it's out though!

You can't possibly think this. The tach goes to 9. But see the little red bit between 7500 and 9000? The engine can't rev there. The tach could read to 42k, but the engine won't rev past 7500.

You know what else is key on the track? Being fast. And you know what doesn't matter on the street? Being able to hold a gear through a long sweeper. It only revs to 7500RPM. That isn't a "high revving 4".

I'm not interested. I'm simply not in the market for a slow 2-door. A fast 2-door, I'd consider. Not a slow one.

Well aware that 9k tach does not mean where the rev limiter is. I was only mentioning it because it shows potential. Maybe I am giving it more credit than it deserves?

The only reason I am excited to see something like this is because it has certain characteristics of my first gen M3. Car weighs approx 2800lbs, approx 225hp at the crank, and a slightly raised rev limit at 7800rpm, a great car in the twisties. Has no power down low, but once you get that motor in the upper revs, I am able to keep up with 335is to about 125mph before it runs out of breath. There is a reason this car is still considered a benchmark in certain aspects after 25 years.

It's not always how much faster you are than the next car. It's about the driving experience that counts, to me at least. There will always be a faster car, and if you want a big power and speed, Subaru and Toyota are the last places to be looking. I rather have a car that communicates through the seat and steering wheel to the driver, and not how fast a car can hit numbers. Call me a different way of thinking.

There is always a weapon of choice when it comes to cars. There are areas that this car will shine, and some areas where it will lack. Until these cars actually hit our shores and people able to actually test drive them, you just never know what the full potential can be. Not everything performs how it should on paper. I will take the car for what it is, not what it could be because there is literally no end to that. They could come out with a turbo, but if not, then so be it.

I really liked the wheels in the other concepts... The ones that were at the LA auto show (I think LA, I didn't go) that looked kind of like STI wheels. I hope it comes with something other than these horrible ugly late 90's domestic looking wheels.

Maybe I'll change my mind after driving one. On paper it's a lot less than everyone hoped for. Filling the market the RX-8 left behind? Why would anyone want to fill that void? Its sales weren't that great, that's why mazda dropped it. Another underpowered rwd middle of the road commuter 2+2 looks cooler than it is car? I don't understand why subaru didn't make its version AWD, that's their THING come on... don't stop doing your THING.

Though I'd be happy to have gas mileage over awd for 80-90% of my driving. And at least it's not FWD.

Waiting on skid pad numbers.

Archived