LegacyGT.com

Does anyone else get alot of condensation inside?

Hey guys i've got an 05 2.5i auto and latley i've been getting alot of condensation on my windshield inside, and it seems like alot, it goes away with agood 5-10 minutes of full defrost but i never had this problem on my 01 Legacy. do you guys think i should put some thing on the window like a spray or wash? or could it be from something else? Also, does anyone ever notice a small rattle around the shifter when slowing down and right when you start to accelerate? thanks Driven2ride

[quote name='MtnSub']Good new is that car is really tight. Bad news, it can fog up, but it can be easily solved by just leaving the climate control on at desired temp. My Lexus was same way. My Suby dealer tipped me off during car pick-up overview. Good luck,[/QUOTE] i dont really understand what you mean...leave it on the desired temp? even with a manual climate control?

there's window cleaner that has anti-fog chemicals in it. Try using the A/C with heat to get some of the humidity out of the cabin area.. and use fresh air, you'll be fine.. it's like that for most cars anyways, especially with some heavy breathers as your passengers ;) Keefe
Keefe

Female race car drivers that are in their third trimester of pregnancy and small children race car drivers should not follow Xenonk's advice for the use of cigibutt juice on the inside of their helmet visors. Although effective, this practice can cause eye-ball cancer and a sense of relaxation after sex with your helmet on. What do you expect, I am a native Californian. We use non-fat, Tofu for anti-defog out here. :lol:

A lot of hockey players who wear visors and visor/cage combinations use soap as an anti-fog agent when playing. Get the visor wet, lather up some bar soap and put it on, let it sit for a couple minutes and wipe it off. Does the trick for a lot of people.

Use stoner's Invisible glass and it will help. Just make sure to get all the residue off. When my car was at the dealer for to replace a blown speaker, they washed my car for me. I don't know what they use to clean glass but whatever is was left a lot of residue and fogged up very easily. I am very picky about having an clean winshield and I cleaned it really well with the invisible glass and now it doesn't fog up as easily and the defroster is more effective to get rid of the fog. That stuff is great, I would recommend it to anyone.

• 4 weeks later...
If it's fogging while you're driving make sure the climate control isn't set to internal circulation. I found that external clears the fog pretty quick. If the climate control is off, try turning it on and hit external circ. for as long as needed. Seems to work for me. - Hope that helps.... Bob

A lot of people will tell you to set your air-flow to recirculating inside air, this is fine for a quicker heating or cooling start-up but if you don't switch back to outside air you will get condensation every time. Mike

[quote name='fbi012']ya when the car is off, its cold outside and [b]two ppl are doing stuff[/b] or one is just breating it'll condensate. I hate the fact that when this happens, [b]u'll see all sorts of finger prints on the glass![/b][/QUOTE] What stuff are you referring two ? Are you doing in the backseat what I think you're doing ? Well...errr...then if you keep your fingers on the glass and not on a different entitity...then you've got your priorities wrong ! With all this fogging you should be happy as it provides some "privacy" !!! Take some quality glass cleaner (that conatins ammonia) and clean them twice...make sure you wipe it clean with NEWSPAPER ! I am serious...the best paper to clean glass with is newspaper. But honestly...I have never heard of a car whose windows/winshield don't fog inside...But if your climate ctrl works...it will go away...

Keep a rag in the car... Wipe off ALL of the water on the windshield... Unless you drag more water in the next time it rains that should basically make it go away... it's just water in the air depositing itself on the coldest surface (the glass)... if you wipe it away instead of blowing it off it won't be there next time to stick. Also there are TONS of both automotive and sporting anti-fog wipes/sprays... I've found just about non of them work... fog-x being the worst... Cat-crap works pretty good (product name not by-product of animal) but it comes in small tins for goggles for skiing. If you keep the car clean and dry it shouldn't be a problem as long as you wipe it clean whenever you notice it.

[quote name='NonovUrbizniz']Keep a rag in the car... Wipe off ALL of the water on the windshield... Unless you drag more water in the next time it rains that should basically make it go away... it's just water in the air depositing itself on the coldest surface (the glass)... if you wipe it away instead of blowing it off it won't be there next time to stick. [/QUOTE] Ummm...no. Wiping the condensation off the glass will do nothing to prevent future condensation. The moisture that left the air to be deposited on the windshield will simply be replaced as the fan blows in new outside air or when you open the door. The best way to get rid of the moisture in the car or on the windshield is to 1) make sure the windows are as clean as possible, and 2) run the defroster (with a/c) with a little bit of heat mixed in. A/C dehumidifies the air. -Nick

[quote name='Nick']Ummm...no. Wiping the condensation off the glass will do nothing to prevent future condensation. The moisture that left the air to be deposited on the windshield will simply be replaced as the fan blows in new outside air or when you open the door. The best way to get rid of the moisture in the car or on the windshield is to 1) make sure the windows are as clean as possible, and 2) run the defroster (with a/c) with a little bit of heat mixed in. A/C dehumidifies the air. -Nick[/QUOTE] Ummmm... RIGHHHHHHT. Funny cuz my car had basically a puddle hanging off the windshield last week and now and everyday since then there is NO CONDENSATION. Water only condensates when it is warmer than another surface (the glass)... As long as you are not re-introducing LOTS of water (IE shoes full of snow.) during driving hours the humidity of the air will NOT cause condensation. It'll cause a LITE fog. Which takes next to no time to clear with the defroster. a/c on or off. Also as per your instructions the water will NEVER be removed from the interior of the car. It'll just be cleared from the windshield... Only running the a/c on re-circulate will remove moisture from the interiors air... which you can't do when on defrost mode... it'd take about 5hrs for the a/c's condensor to pull all the moisture out of the air inside the car... so your problem isn't solved... it's temporarly settled. Wipe away the water... if it's there again the next day do it again... it won't re-appear unless you re-introduce lots more water.

I noticed my windows fog up more than any other car I've owned. Can't figure out why, though. No difference after my windows got tinted either. I wonder if it's because the car is so airtight? Maybe the car isn't well ventillated? Most of the water vapor inside your cars are probably from you (and your passengers) When we breathe we humidify the air quite a bit! So unless you don't breathe, it would be hard to eliminate all condensation! ;) tom

tom :)

Mine virtually never fogs. [b]KEY POINTS[/b]: 1) Turn on A/C in conjuntion with a hi-heat setting (manual or auto). The A/C will dry the interior air. 2) DO [u]NOT[/u] RECIRCULATE the interior air!!!!!! Leave the setting on 'fresh' or 'in-coming' air. Ya know, the car picture thingy with the arrows flowing [i]into[/i] the car. Sheeesh.

Archived