LegacyGT.com

s402 BP5 replica

• 2 months later...
any part numbers for those metal bushings?

nope. from my research, the bushings came planted in the subframe from subaru. couldn't get them solo. from what i saw, they were in the s402/tbsti only, but not for sure.

added the front aluminum control arms from an tbsti and they were super dirty. cleaned them up, replaced all bushings with oem ones. the arms are no different than the usdm specb ones. also did all new hardware. removed the cucso low brace to make room for the transmission cover.

the steering rack is the sti one, 13:1 ratio vs 16:1. did it 3 years ago. also has the cusco steering brace, whiteline bushings and sti u-joint.

8E0FE46F-47FF-4FAB-B3DC-F1E73146E4EF.thumb.JPG.fa7c1bd37d55182046614de4a40bd389.JPG

Edited by 05MNLGT

• 5 weeks later...

so a little update. wasn't happy with the shifter feel. so i pulled the jdm 6mt that came on the tranny. ordered jdm sti short shifter, upgraded torque solutions linkage bushings, new spacers, FactionFab Rear Shifter Bushing and STI JDM Group N Transmission Mount 6MT.

Thanks Infosecdad for bushing input via IG. Very helpful. Not ready for solid bushings yet.

After looking into my boot bracket on the top side, ordered a new one and hardware. mine was ugly. Decided to por 15 the rear subframe to trail arm braces while waiting for parts.

Should have it back together friday.

IMG_3662.thumb.jpg.93738d2c9bd3531f7abf2f8e930e120f.jpg

3AE4C751-F918-4550-BE7D-23591112366B.thumb.JPG.b6564712eb5fa2887210d3844e282b87.JPG

had some down time waiting for the TS linkage bushings to arrive. so i blasted and powdered the cusco from control arm brackets. These work in tandem with the lower support, which I'm not running. honestly think there is nothing more to powder unless i do a total chassis separation.

B4114C8E-38E6-47D2-9AAF-7901772BC4B4.thumb.JPG.b52c3d840197c5e5bb0a4811d5c0e630.JPG

Edited by 05MNLGT

drive update 9/18/20: It's now been 2 weeks with the Sti SS. I have to say, huge shifting improvements on the road. every little slop at all in any of the shifts. it's now exposed the need to upgrade the motor mounts. very pleased with the oem solution, other then the aftermarket shifter bushings.

the jdm sti 6mt short shifter is installed.

- sti jdm 6mt STS

- Torque solution shifter linkage bushings x4

- FactionFab Rear Shifter Bushing

- oem spacer, both vert and horz

- STI JDM Group N Transmission Mount 6MT

- new oem boot plate with bolt x4

- new clamps x2

install

did it on jack stands. was nice to lay down with a pillow under my head and work comfortable for hours. remove was easy until the upper linkage bolt (diagram). bastard is blocked in left and right. did want to lower the unit so I dermaled the bad boy out. plus i notched the fins on the case so i could get the bolt back in.

the install went well, but the knuckle (shift link) goes in tight due to the new spacers and bushings.

FF rear shifter bushing was a b&^%$ to get in. taller than oem one and the holes are angled out. got it but lots of choice words were heard by the

neighbors. would not do it by itself, not worth it.

drive.

feel. 1/2 have zero movement left and right. 3/4 have some play and 5/6 have slight play. the shifting is night and day difference. crisp and solid. the throws are notably shorter. much better than the sti 5mt STS.

What's really nice is the sti 6mt tranny mount. tightened up the movement on acce and deacc. there is a slight vibration in the shifter when handling. but i'll take it over what I had before any day.

IMG_3771.thumb.jpg.ce6919dccd9f72a01c8bd1109debf037.jpg

379885741_ScreenShot2020-09-05at5_47_21PM.png.e1c9709c5bbba00dadde7f1384e3f12d.png

Edited by 05MNLGT
updating

• 2 weeks later...
Always nice to see updates on this thing. It makes me even happier that you’re out driving and enjoying it and sharing it with the world and it’s not just a garage/trailer queen. I can’t even begin to imagine how much you’ve spent on this build but I couldn’t imagine not enjoying the fruits of my labor...

Always nice to see updates on this thing. It makes me even happier that you’re out driving and enjoying it and sharing it with the world and it’s not just a garage/trailer queen. I can’t even begin to imagine how much you’ve spent on this build but I couldn’t imagine not enjoying the fruits of my labor...

thanks for the kind comments. it's a love hate relationship with it. it's never finished. i have to paint in spring. too many different years of wrb colors. plus i did a rust repair that i caused during the first paint job.