LegacyGT.com

Home Link Mirror Install - Help

Go to the 5th post to get the correct wiring info for the gentex 453 ZTVHL3.

I think I may have answered my own question but to confirm it, could someone please tell me:

Does the home link work without the key turned to IGN? Or does it need to have the the key turned to IGN to allow the home link to work??

I've identified the problem but don't understand why my car is wired how it is.

The car came stock with auto-dimming and compass (gentex 455) mirror. It has 3 wires going to it.

1-ING 12V

2-GND

3-Reverse inhibit (12v in reverse)

The new mirror (gentex 453) with auto-dimming, compass and home link needs:

1-ING 12V (pin 6 on the mirror)

2-GND (pin 8 on the mirror)

3-BATT (constant 12v) (pin 10 on the mirror)

Turns out the gentex 453 will work (compass and auto-dimming) with just 12v ING and GND, but the homelink won't work. Home link needs the BATT.

The wiring diagram shows with home link and without home link. Without home link is supposed to only be a 2 wire connector. The connector is also black.

I have a 3 pin connection and the connector is natural color.

My 3 pin has the following color wires:

1-Yellow/Blue

2-Black

3-Brown/Yellow

But the wiring diagram has the following for the 3 pin:

1-Yellow/Blue

2-Black

3-Blue/Red

Whats going on? Everything I read was its just plug and play, the connector is right there. "I installed it in 11 minutes" I thought it was going that smooth until I found out my home link didn't work. I'm sure I could cut the wire and wire it to the blue/red constant 12v that it looks like it would have been wired to but I want to know if there is a better way or a more correct way. I can't be I'm the only one...

Some links where I got info from. may or may not be accurate:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/installed-gentex-homelink-auto-dimming-mirror-from-a-2006-subaru-forester.211753/

https://www.wembleysells.com/mirrortech/GentexHomeLinkMirrorComparison.htm

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/autodimming-review-mirror-replacement-options.264658/

https://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/inside-rear-view-mirror-info-8819.html?

https://www.thenewx.org/threads/gentex-453-temperature-homelink-mirror-install-with-plug-info.97265

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/installing-a-gentex-auto-dimming-mirror-with-homelink-into-a-16-civic.3106/post-293572

1786889049_mirrorwiring.thumb.png.caf51cd9d87d2456cf04b30f7f086f1a.png

Edited by nevets27

Actually maybe I know the answer. Seeing as I'm not using the OEM wiring harness from the plug in the headliner to the mirror, and I just made one, kind of assumed the following:

1 Car (ING) - 6 Mirror (ING)

2 Car (GND) - 8 Mirror (GND)

3 Car -------- 10 Mirror (BATT) (before I really knew what pin 3 was)

Maybe the oem harness is wired:

1 Car (ING) - 6 Mirror (ING)

1 Car (ING) - 10 Mirror (BATT) (Jumpering 6 and 10 basically)

2 Car (GND) - 8 Mirror (GND)

3 Car (Inhibit) - 9 Mirror (Inhibit) (Apparently there is an inhibit)

Might also be slight differences in models of the gentex, I think I might have read where some might internally jumper pin 6 and 10 so you would only see 3 wires. I didn't grab this from a subaru. Exact model is: ZTVHL3

I guess it would be quick to find out for anyone with a home link mirror installed. Does the home link work without the key turned to IGN? Or does it need to have the the key turned to IGN to allow the home link to work??

Looks like some manufactures don't allow the mirror to work without the key in due to security reasons. So I guess people can't break into your car and open your garage door.

Sure looks like they use a jumper, if this is the right harness.

61k6R1LEibL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Edited by nevets27

Thank you! That confirms it.

*******This info looks to mostly be wrong see post 5 for correct info***********

And I finally found the pinout for the subaru on an accord forum of all places: https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/diy-gntx-313-homelink-dimming-mirror.471794/

Pinout if anyone needs it in the future:

Harness part #H501SAG030 (For gentex 453 Model:ZTVHL3)

Pin #1 = 12V (ACC)

Pin #3 = GND

Pin #9 = 12V (Reverse)

Pin #6 and #10 are connected together

Some details about the mirror from the above post.

Pin #1 and #6 are connected internally. Pin #3 and #8 are connected internally and are Ground so either can be used (I used pin 8). Pin #6 is to power the home link.

So pins 1, 6 and 10 all get connected together and get 12V ACC.

Pins #4 and #5 are for a temp sensor but I think only on certain mirrors have that (display area is bigger). That leaves #2 and #7 as unknown.

I don't think its necessary to use pin #1 as I powered it up using only pin #10 and pin #8. So that would save a wire if you want/need to.

To fix my issue, I'm just going to jumper 6 and 10 and move where I have my current pin in 6 to pin 9. Too bad I didn't have the right pinout to start with.

EDIT: DO NOT USE. I blow a fuse going into reverse. I have to investigate if it's an issue with my wiring or the pinout. 99% sure it's the pinout because if the wire is unplugged from the mirror I don't have any issues.

If anyone wants to meter out the subaru harness for a homelink mirror I would greatly appreciate it. This has already been a headache and it would be really easy to just match Subaru's harness 1 to 1 and be done with it and know it's correct.

My Final Wiring:

Mirror Car Function

Pin #6 - Pin #1 - 12V ACC

Pin #8 - Pin #2 - GND

Pin #9 - Pin #3 - Auto disable when in reverse (12V when in reverse)

Pin #10 - Pin #1 - 12V ACC (Homelink)

Edited by nevets27

I hate to even have to make another post but not all the pervious info I found was correct. I'm not even sure how much of it is correct. After blowing a bunch of fuses, getting some error codes and my headlights stopped working I found out the pin outs I found have a mistake.

Most import mistake is Pin 9 on the mirror is NOT for reverse inhibit (12v in reverse). Wiring that to the pin 3 on the car harness (12v when in reverse) will blow the 10A fuse labeled "lamp".

Side note. If you blow that fuse, with a short it will throw the following codes on the dash display under the abs module: C0045, C0047, C0071. The abs and traction control light comes one and the at temp light will flash. Reading the TCU codes with the tatrix will give you this code: P0957-Backup light relay circuit too low.

My final wiring:

Mirror Car Function

Pin #1 - Pin #1 - 12V ACC (Homelink)

Pin #3 - Pin #2 - GND

Pin #7 - Pin #3 - Auto disable when in reverse (12V when in reverse)

Pin #6 - Pin #1 - 12V ACC

Alternate wiring that should work as I tried it through my "testing"

Pin #6 - Pin #1 - 12V ACC (Homelink)

Pin #8 - Pin #2 - GND

Pin #10 - Pin #1 - 12V ACC

Basically

Mirror wiring:

Pin #8 or #3 Can be wired to ground

Pin #1 or #6 Will power the homelink (12v)

Pin #10 Will power the mirror (auto dim and compass)

Pin #7 Should get 12v when in reverse to disable auto dim

Other pins are unknown or not used, like 2 pins for temp but this mirror doesn't have temp display

Sources for info:

How to wiring up auto dim disable in reverse, showing the use of pin #7

This looks accurate, and I might have made a mistake on pins 1 - 5, if this is correct

Detailed info on the subaru harness, though it seems some of the info is incorrect

First pinout I found, kind of incorrect

Also the connector is labeled with the numbers, you can see that in this picture Pin 10 and 6 are labeled. So it should be hard to get the pins wrong.

To depin the connector, pop up the white lock, it doesn't come off. Then insert something small and thin to the small hole above/bellow the hole used for the connection itself.

I'm not sure how exact the model matters for this wiring the the exact model of mirror I used: Gentex 453 ZTVHL3

Final edit I hope. This actually looks like the correct pin out. I likely counted 1-5 pins wrong (that still doesn't explain why people got pin 7 and 9 mixed up in most of the info I found)

My wiring does work. So in my case pin 1 is really pin 5

Info taken from here

CLIP

5 4 3 2 1

10 9 8 7 6

1 - Not Used ( Temp probe with temp version )

2 - Not Used ( Temp probe )

3 or 8 - Ground

4 - Not Used

5 or 10 - Battery +12v ( Homelink Supply)

6 - Ignition (Mirror Supply)

7 - (Optional) +12v from reverse light circuit

9 - Not Used

Corrections to my wiring given the above pin counting order

My final wiring:

Mirror Car Function

Pin #3 - Pin #2 - GND

Pin #10 - Pin #1 - 12V ACC

Alternate wiring that should work as I tried it through my "testing"

Pin #8 - Pin #2 - GND

Pin #5 - Pin #1 - 12V ACC

Basically

Mirror wiring:

Pin #8 or #3 Can be wired to ground

Pin #10 or #5 Will power the homelink (12v)

Pin #6 Will power the mirror (auto dim and compass)

Pin #7 Should get 12v when in reverse to disable auto dim

Edited by nevets27

• 6 months later...