LegacyGT.com

2005 legacy AC cycling on Auto 65 F

Hi folks, the AC in this car doesn't get very cold, the interior won't go below 80 degrees with outdoor temps of 90 degrees F. So far, I've tried recharging it (it was overcharged), replacing the cabin air filter (no effect, but it was nasty), and checking the basics (fans coming on, clutch pulling in, ect.). It seems that if you set the climate control to it's coldest setting, the compressor still cycles, even if the interior is nowhere near the temp setpoint. What gives? I assume since there is an electronic box running the show, there must be some temperature sender somewhere in the dash, do those go bad? When the compressor is running though, the air is pretty cold, and both the high and low side pressures are normal. Any suggestions?

Yes the wires will always come out of the box. Is your system a auto or a manual air?

Automatic climate control, is this sensor something I can simply ohm out, like a thermocouple/thermistor, ore something more sinister?

Have you tried swapping the ac relay?

Not yet, I don't have any of those miniature relays on hand, can I safely swap it for one near it? I've also read something about shimming the compressor clutch, but if it needed shimming, wouldn't you hear it slipping?

Archived