LegacyGT.com

Belts squeaking, then massive loss of power, and eventually lots of smoke

So, full disclosure, you guys are my first stop on this investigation. I was driving home, and ( also, the cars leaking from every seal possible) the front end starting squealing really bad, and then like a massive loss of power. It would cut out sometimes while driving and now is just cut out. And when I got home, the smoke started barreling out of the rear of the engine. It's been smoking for a while, and leaking oil from the rear, really bad. Is that part the oil separator plate? And do you guys think my timing belt finally took a shit?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Did you run it out of oil? I worked on a forester the other day with similar symptoms. 2 quarts of oil barely put it on the stick. He ran it out of oil and the bearings were starting to seize. I got it to start and run for 2 minutes before it locked up.

Did you run it out of oil? I worked on a forester the other day with similar symptoms. 2 quarts of oil barely put it on the stick. He ran it out of oil and the bearings were starting to seize. I got it to start and run for 2 minutes before it locked up.
No I don't think so, I've been filling it up. At least I hope not, that would suck. I was thinking the timing belt was going out

Take the accessory belts off and start the car. If it's still squealing, its time for a motor/rebuild. It could be a pulley seizing up on the alternator, power steering, etc but from what you describe, it sounds like the motor.

Take the accessory belts off and start the car. If it's still squealing, its time for a motor/rebuild. It could be a pulley seizing up on the alternator, power steering, etc but from what you describe, it sounds like the motor.
So you don't think this is the timing belt? Like a cam(s) pulley?

The loss of power was kind of intermittent I would say.... I'm hoping I don't need to get a new motor. If so, can I get a 'better one' and drop it in? Or what

It wouldn't hurt to pull both of the timing cover inspection panels off and see where the belt is at. Each head has a removable section of the timing cover that you can take off with a few 10mm bolts so you can inspect the belt. I'd say to pull off both passenger and driver inspection covers, rotate the engine (by bumping the starter or manually with a wrench) until the timing marks line up on the cams and see if the passenger and driver timing marks line up, if not then you skipped some teeth.

Thanks, I will get a video tonight. Its holding oil still and I just started it right up on Sunday, idles fine. But the belts are squeaking really badly. And I'm 90%sure the squeaking is from the timing belt. I'm trying to stay optimistic lol I REALLY do not want to replace the engine in this. It also needs struts too and the front end needs work so yeah don't want to do it