LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy 2.5i SOHC - Plugs and Wires Advice

Hi all.

Looks like there are a lot of options regarding new plugs and wires. My Legacy is stock non-turbo 2.5i, 150,000 km.

It's a daily driver up in the Canadian prairies. No racing or anything like that.

I ordered NGK OEM Platinum plugs from amazon.ca yesterday, but then was reading about Iridium x plugs, NGK V-power copper plugs, etc. Rock auto seemed to have all a bit cheaper too ...

As for plug wires, looks like the NGK FX-101 would be best? They're around $80CDN on amazon.

Thanks!

I do believe the 2.5i's have wires. You may want to see what your local auto parts store has for wires, support someone local.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I tried blue ngk wires once, but they didn't snap into the coil like the oem wires did.. didn't like that. So I've always gone with oem wires, most recently got some on ebay from a subaru dealer in PA for like $50.

As far as plugs, I've always been a firm believer in running oem plugs, even if I do have to change the more often, I think my manual says every 30k. NGK FR5AP-11. They're double platinum plugs I believe, but I hear our cars have a waste spark system or something, and that's a little harder on plugs, or wears them out quicker?

Hi all.

Looks like there are a lot of options regarding new plugs and wires. My Legacy is stock non-turbo 2.5i, 150,000 km.

It's a daily driver up in the Canadian prairies. No racing or anything like that.

I ordered NGK OEM Platinum plugs from amazon.ca yesterday, but then was reading about Iridium x plugs, NGK V-power copper plugs, etc. Rock auto seemed to have all a bit cheaper too ...

As for plug wires, looks like the NGK FX-101 would be best? They're around $80CDN on amazon.

Thanks!

Running OEM NGK spark hardware is the way to go on the NA. Leave that stuff OEM. Should last quite awhile without issues.

on my 08 2.5i there is no coil packs on those cars. My 2013 has coil packs.

I ran NGK iridium plugs and blue NGK wires from amazon, and they worked great. I also replaced the distributor block just for shits and grins with an MSD one (Or you can go stock). All worked fine on the car for 80k miles. I still see the car around my area.

Note: you have to do a bit of rerouting of the plug wires so they snap in the top part but it will work. I know above someone said they did not snap, but they do work.