LegacyGT.com

2009 Legacy GT Intermittent headlights flicker intermittently. Dash lights as well.

Driving to work this morning, I noticed my headlights started flickering every so often. I have HID bulbs installed, so I thought maybe that was the culprit. Then not only were the headlights going out but the entire dash went blank for a split second, and noticed the engine cut out for the same amount of time. The vehicle never fully stopped running. The dash and engine only happened 2 times, but the headlights flickered a good amount.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked the battery terminals, both tight. Positive side has a very small amount of corrosion, ill clean that off when I get home.

I ran some new grounds a few months ago, those are still intact. (From the frame to the underside of the engine.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a problem trying to figure out the problem, just seeing if its been a common occurrence for others and save some time and headache.

Thanks in advance!

Glad it was an easy fix.

I guess you have learned what some of us old guy's did many years ago.

Before Winter, make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight. Even a little grease to seal moisture out is not a bad idea.

Also replace the battery before it's 6th Winter. its cheap insurance against it failing on the coldest day of the year.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah I've fixed quite a few customer cars complaining of similar electrical issues. But those cars had a good amount of corrosion on their terminals. I was in a subaru dealer for 10 years from 2006-2016 and have always known subaru's issues with battery corrosion, but mine wasn't anywhere close to what I observed on customers cars lol. But I do appreciate the insight! Thank You!!!