LegacyGT.com

Rear end creak/clunk?

rtbrjason

I noticed lately that when I get out of the car, I'm hearing sort of a creaking and clunking noise coming from the rear driver side wheel area. I thought it was maybe my ebrake letting the car settle a bit maybe due to improper adjustment, worn pads/rotor or whatever, but now I'm noticing the car appears to be lower on the left rear driver side than the front.

I took a look under there and nothing appeared wrong and the spring didn't appear broken. I'm borrowing a friends lift this evening to get a better look but was wondering if this sounded familiar to anyone or if anyone had a suggestion for what to look for. Car is an 08 Spec B with all stock suspension and original brake hardware with about 42k miles.

I just posted up about something similar, but my clunk is very loud and coming from right rear. Mine measured about 3/8" lower on the right rear than the left rear. I'm thinking blown strut since everything feels tight and all the hardware is torqued.

I might be springing (ha-ha) for some coilovers.

Hmm.. Exactly, when i heard the clunk a buddy of mine and I took the rear suspension apart again and put it back together to make sure everything was perfect… I guess this is the time to mention that I did a full brake job at the time…. IIRC they were DBA 4000 series rotors.. But… hmm but 90% coming from one side? ugh.. so annoying.. i feel like im in a copped spring civic :(

I put my car up on a lift and checked everything and found no issues or noises. It's still making this noise when the car is on the ground and I believe it is the ebrake at this point.

You could just park with the ebrake off to determine if it is the culprit . . .

I'll assume you guy's checked the wheels to see if any of them are hot. COuld it be a dragging brake? What your hearing is the parts cooling down ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just discovered a rear clunk this morning. It only happens when I accelerate from 1st gear from a stop after installing some new "used" coil overs. Gonna put my old coil overs back in and poke around to look for anything loose

Havent tried the ebrake trick… but this started immediatly as the car rolled off the jack stands i mean… 20 feet of driving with the new springs on and clunk… It used to be more squeeky, now it just sounds like metal hitting metal…

Update:

Upon closer inspection I think the small rubber part that goes around the coil at the bottom of the closer together coils may have moved?

Example picture below….

Like this setup… im talking about the color parts...

example.jpg.d93489057ff9504049e39331725d3df9.jpg

I'm getting some random rear end clunk constantly while I'm driving. I've got Bilsteins/Swifts with 3/8" spacers. Last time I had my car on a lift it appeared the RSB is making contact with something, but I haven't figured out what that 'something' is just yet. Every shop I've talked to has more or less told me when you lower a car it's going to be a bit noisy, but I'm still trying to make the sounds go away. I find them rather annoying!!!

Agreed! Mine is getting worse… And lowering cars and just having noise is total BS. I have a friend with a slammed A6, another with a slammed EVO, another with a Slammed brand new A4, all different suspention setups (coil overs, just springs, springs and shocks, and everything else you can think of :) )

None of them make clunking :(

Clunking is almost always a loose part or something incorrectly installed (if it occurs right after an install).

There's been a fair amount posted about on here when it was the strut top nut a tad loose, or somewhere else along the chain. Even a loose sway bar endlink, similar...

hmmm… I have heard about tightening the strut nut while its on the car.. But it makes no sense because you can only get to the nut when the car is jacked up and the suspention is off :(

Yes, I searched couldn't find this problem exactly… But the nut makes sense...

i have this problem as well. Rear left side. Would like to know what you guys have in terms of diagnostics and solution ? Strut nut tightening ? Rubber cover ? Grease ? E-brake ?

i looked for a leaking strut when i had the car on the lift and it was not that. But definitely creak/clunk whenever i go over bumps.

Might be stressing the sway bar end links. If the bushings are going (but not gone) that could certainly cause the clunk on the ground, but nothing in the air as you'd probably need the weight on the car. I had this happen on an 02 Mazda that I had. The rear endlinks were shot and the car would make this awful metallic clunk when going over bumps at slow speeds (probably just couldn't hear it at speed) and it would also occasionally do the same thing when I got out of the car.

Archived