LegacyGT.com

Subaru Legacy Head Gasket problems

Hey guys.

I own a 2008 4th Generation Subaru Legacy 2.5L Limited.

Recently I noticed that my car was going through a lot of coolant.

After a 15 minute drive on the freeway my check engine light came on, with the cruise control flashing and tractions control on.

I jacket the car up and noticed liquid leaking from the bottom. I believe it is a oil coolant mix. I wasn’t 100% sure. I took the car to a mechanic. They checked the codes. And the code was for oil in the radiator fan I guess. They did a pressure test on the system and all was good. They also said it’s not much of a issue it’s a old car. They leak etc. they reset the code. So I head home. The lights came back on after 15 minute drive. So I get the car home. And do my research. So I guess that Subaru had major issues with they’re non turbo engine (EJ25 series)

I know it’s a big job if it is the head gaskets.

Has any one had these issues before?

I would to buy the parts myself and just get the mechanic to do the labor.

Does anyone have any preferred parts or know anything which will help.

And does anyone have a idea on how much this could cost? I have to wait till next week to get my car in the shop.

Yep, 2.5i's have been well known for HG issues around 100,000 miles for many years.

For some reason the turbo motors don't have the seem issue.

Try and fine a local shop that knows these cars very well.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Lots of shops local to me in Portland can do a proper HG job on a Subaru for not a ton of money. Make sure they don't use the same head gasket that came on the car in 2008 and instead use the one from the turbo EJ engine. Those seem to last much longer.

I'd advise your mechanic buy the parts typically, unless they upcharge a huge amount. They tend to know the best and cheapest places for OEM parts.

How much it will cost depends on the labor rate of the mechanic. In Portland, it's a very in-demand job and shop labor is typically around $105 per hour here. Range of 3-6K depending on where you live is a reasonable expectation, but ask your mechanic.

I've think subaru is still selling the original graphite coated head gaskets for our non-turbos that fail inevitably, so that'd be my last pick..

"oil in the radiator fan" confuses me. What was the code, do you know? For example, P0100.

Our head gaskets typically leak oil, since there is only a thin amount of graphite coated head gasket material between the oil return passages and the bottom of the engine. More of annoyance than anything else.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/attachments/head-jpg.26890/

I've heard good things about fel-pro and six-star head gaskets. If the shop has done subaru's before, they probably have a favorite they use, possibly a good kind so that they don't get a come back. That's the risk in bringing your own parts, if it leaks again, they can point the finger at your gaskets. Preparation is also very important, prepping the block surface and heads. Of course it's also possible they could use a cheap gasket, and yours would be better, but.. hard to say.

I used 6 star gaskes on my wifes 2008 legacy when I did hers 2 years ago. They are stainless steel so no future worries about bi-metal interaction and I no longer have to use the Subaru coolant or an additive. They were a bit more expensive but are worth the price cause we plan on keeping the car for our daughter. I believe hers was externally leaking coolant down the backside of the left side of her engine. Everything pressure checked good but you could smell the coolant from time to time. Make sure you spend the extra and have the heads machined or at least checked to be sure they are flat, cost me about $170 but I had new valve seals put in too just because. And as some have mentioned, timing setup replacement is smart at this point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
Just to follow up. Before I could fix the leak. My short block blew bank 1 and 3. After shopping around I found a website based in California who was selling used engines with less then 50,000 miles through it. Imported from Japan. That cost me $1800 then $2700 for the engine swap. But now my Legacy feels like it’s brand new. Thank you for all your help

Just to follow up. Before I could fix the leak. My short block blew bank 1 and 3. After shopping around I found a website based in California who was selling used engines with less then 50,000 miles through it. Imported from Japan. That cost me $1800 then $2700 for the engine swap. But now my Legacy feels like it’s brand new. Thank you for all your help

No, get a used OEM shortblock or motor with low miles. :spin:

• 10 months later...