LegacyGT.com

The tale of two OBP OBXTs | low vs lifted

KevinEdgar

Passed smog today so the invidia catless dp is back on. Now that this thing doesn’t have a cracked exhaust valve and it’s freshly built it sounds so crisp and snappy. I’ll get some video of it.

2 year window of emissions freedom starts today!

Damn this is my favorite thread right now haha. The rebuilt motor looks so sexy. Btw what suspension do you have on it? Is it still the same suspension from the initial upgrade from page one? I'm looking to improve handling and lower my OBXT a bit too

Damn this is my favorite thread right now haha. The rebuilt motor looks so sexy. Btw what suspension do you have on it? Is it still the same suspension from the initial upgrade from page one? I'm looking to improve handling and lower my OBXT a bit too

Thank you so much! It had jdm bilstein early on but has zeal coilovers currently. I want to get fortune auto coilovers next.

Edited by KevinEdgar

Freaking awesome! Dude was that your first time doing an engine rebuild like that? How much experience do you have working on cars?

Thank you!! Yes it was my first time going this deep on an engine. I have been working on cars for about 10 years or so. I get it from my dad.

Congratulations on successful startup!

Awesome build and congrats on the first crank startup.

Thank you guys!!

Finally got all my brembo stuff from fastwrx.com

DBA STi front rotors, DBA STi/WRX adapter rear rotors, rear caliper brackets, and front/rear rebuild kit. I was going to powedercoat the calipers but I will wait till I get new tires on the TEs so I can change the valve stem to match the new color. The gold will be fine for now. My friend also hooked it up with some goodridge SS brake lines that he bought for his STi years ago but never used. Lucky me!

I got the fronts on so far and rears will go on tomorrow since I want to change the parking brake while I'm in there.

50659973132_b111a30830_h.jpg

50659973032_d41e120607_h.jpg

50659150513_dfb1a760ab_h.jpg

I think I have about 800 miles on the engine break in so far. To make my dyno tune with snail performance more worth while, I think I will get a VF52 from Hill Country Forced Induction, catless uppipe, fuel pump,grimmspeed tmic and cobb ebcs. Then hopefully I can push 300hp while saving for my 450hp parts stash

I think I have about 800 miles on the engine break in so far. To make my dyno tune with snail performance more worth while, I think I will get a VF52 from Hill Country Forced Induction, catless uppipe, fuel pump,grimmspeed tmic and cobb ebcs. Then hopefully I can push 300hp while saving for my 450hp parts stash

Awesome dude! I literally got all the parts you listed laying in my garage right now. From my understanding the vf52 will need to be ported out to prevent boost creep. I also got a downpipe and dw740cc injectors. I got all my parts used in real good condition for $900, so you can definitely make 300whp on a budget.

And the brakes look great btw!

Awesome dude! I literally got all the parts you listed laying in my garage right now. From my understanding the vf52 will need to be ported out to prevent boost creep. I also got a downpipe and dw740cc injectors. I got all my parts used in real good condition for $900, so you can definitely make 300whp on a budget.

And the brakes look great btw!

Damn I'd like to find a deal like that. I'm pretty pick about buying used parts though. It's amazing you got all that for the price of the grimmspeed tmic alone.

And thank you!

Finally got the brembos on, the fronts were super easy and the rears weren't so bad. Fronts are straight up bolt on with a 2004 sti rotor and rears need adapter bracket and adapter rotor to retain use of parking brake. You gotta remove the heat shield, grind out the spot welds then shave the knuckles to make room for the caliper bolts. I hate that the KNS kit uses allen bolts, makes things so complicated but maybe there's a reason for it.

It's nice not having a warped front right rotor haha. It's been warped since april 2017 but I haven't even been home enough to worry about it. I think I'll need longer brake lines for the rear but its okay for now. I suppose I need a STi bmc too? After I get it tuned it'll be ready for its return to the track this coming spring.

50663623297_8061f972df_h.jpg

50663543036_9d5af24bae_h.jpg

50663542906_7a9894d8a3_h.jpg

50662801418_b738f1dd2c_h.jpg

I've got my tune scheduled with Travis at Snail Performance on Feb 19th, I feel lucky to live only a hour away from him and M45 Automotive. That date is pretty far out but it gives me time to get most the power parts I want. Still won't have enough time to save for my garret turbo but that can wait until my birthday in June or so.

For the tune I want to have AT LEAST VF52, Tomei ELH, Cobb EBCS, Grimmspeed TMIC, and a new fuel pump

After having my JDM power fold mirrors sit in my shed for the past 4 years I finally put them on. Thanks to AW4BYT and the harness I bought from him the install was easy. Well that is until I had everything wired up but nothing worked haha. I rechecked my work for hours until I started to test each mirror wire individually, then I found out the wiring diagram I was given did not match my application. Each mirror has 10 wire for the JDM ones, I had to depin my car harness 8 pin and pin up the 10 pin connector. But since the diagram I had was wrong I ended up using the JDM plug car side harness that came with my mirrors to assist me. It still took a super long time because I disconnected the battery each time I tested and moved a wire.

tldr; jdm folding mirrors installed, took 8 hours...

The harness from AW4BYT is sooo nice and I would have been lost without it honestly.

50702145202_e2a396fdb6_h.jpg

Door cards come off easy, its only 3 screws and pop its.

50702061391_9c3ab06898_h.jpg

50702145062_bc7582fee0_h.jpg

This is the wiring I came up with that worked, this plug is the car side of the mirror connector

Drive side:

50702145012_87da788470_h.jpg

50702144917_dade1f6fb8_h.jpg

JDM plug on right for comparison

50702061096_4d16413927_h.jpg

Passenger side:

50701319448_84c42f0b21_h.jpg

50702060961_bfa9496906_h.jpg

JDM plug on right for comparison

50702060881_0632ea80bb_h.jpg

So, the mirrors ARE awesome and I am glad they are finally on. Once I got everything buttoned up I sat there for way too long just folding and unfolding the mirrors haha. It's very amusing.

50702060766_480c567677_h.jpg

For the switch housing I used the USDM one because the JDM one has ugly paint pen on it, just sucks cause I don't have the headlight leveler symbol but oh well.

50702060691_2fd442a182_h.jpg

This was a super tedious project but I am very pleased with the outcome and now my car is that much different without being obnoxious.

50702060631_8c2bb1016a_h.jpg

Edited by KevinEdgar

The wiring diagrams are generally incorrect. Best practice is to just copy the connections in the car before disconnecting/depinning. I had the same issue when I followed the wiring diagram. If I remember correctly, the passenger side diagram has the blue and blue/red wires mixed up. I have it posted in the folding mirrors thread I believe.

Anyways this doesn't help you now since you got it done. They look great!

Nice job. I have yet to do that too.. My mirrors have now been sitting for 3 years in the attic. Just more fun to go mountain biking and playing in the sand :spin:. That's my problem.

Haha you're not wrong about that. I knew I had to do it when the guy on here started selling kits.

The wiring diagrams are generally incorrect. Best practice is to just copy the connections in the car before disconnecting/depinning. I had the same issue when I followed the wiring diagram. If I remember correctly, the passenger side diagram has the blue and blue/red wires mixed up. I have it posted in the folding mirrors thread I believe.

Anyways this doesn't help you now since you got it done. They look great!

Haha now that I know the correct way to do it I hope I can help others. I did go through that thread but my patience was running too low to really ready through all the posts.. haha

But thank you, I love them

The matched pair thing is DOPE! That's some Mecum auction type shit you got there. I've an 06 OBXT (Fortune 500s on the way, w/roll center kit, rear upper control arm camber bushings and rear LGT upper control arms yet to be bought) and I want to know about the wheel fitment. Did you use spacers for the the silver STIs and/or the TE37s, if so what thickness, size were they? What are all the specs for the TE37s? What did you have to do to get both sets wheels to fit cuz the way you got them is PERFECT? Do they rub anywhere? What spring rates are you running and hows the ride w/the 255/35s? What did you do for the front and rear camber? I don't think I need a stool sample too..... at the moment. I'm just following you well done example with, hopefully, the same AWESOME results. Thanks for AL-L-L-L the valuable info in advance. Edited by vangloryous
Forgot something

The matched pair thing is DOPE! That's some Mecum auction type shit you got there. I've an 06 OBXT (Fortune 500s on the way, w/roll center kit, rear upper control arm camber bushings and rear LGT upper control arms yet to be bought) and I want to know about the wheel fitment. Did you use spacers for the the STIs and/or the TE37s, if so what thickness, size were they? What are all the specs for the TE37s? What did you have to do to get both sets wheels to fit cuz the way you got them is PERFECT? Do they rub anywhere? What spring rates are you running and hows the ride w/the 255/35s? What did you do for the front and rear camber? I don't think I need a stool sample too..... at the moment. I'm just following you well done example with, hopefully, the same AWESOME results. Thanks for AL-L-L-L the valuable info in advance.

Thank you so much for the kind words, It's always nice to know there's a community of us out there who really dig these cars.

For the STi BBS & TE37 I use 20mm spacer. I didn't want to use a spacer but the TEs hit the coilover on the inner barrel without it, but the spacers work well with both wheel in terms of fitment.

TE37 specs:

- 18x9.5 +45 255/35/ Federal RSRR

- ride quality is nice in my experience although I only drive the car on weekends

- to get them to fit with the spacers I had to cut down the wheel studs to allow them to sit flush in the spacer otherwise the studs would hit the back of the wheel

- uses a hubcentric ring to fill the gap between spacer and wheel, I think I bought it from counterspace garage.

- rub is there under hard cornering, I flattened the fenders but still gotta roll them.

STi BBS:

- 235/55/17, goofy tire size yeah but it works and I wanted to keep it close to stock size for speedo reasons.

- I haven't drove on these enough but they did rub bad prior to me flattening the rear fender a little more.

Suspension:

- Zeal Coilovers, they're old and used, I want to upgrade to fortune auto 510s

- Camber control: N/A, all stock besides front upper adjustment from coilover plate.

Stool sample:

- Speaking of! I gotta make an exhaust video before I get the Tomei ELH. O made a little phone video the other week but the loud Federal tires were louder than anything lol

Thanks for tuning in! I'll try to post more of my subarus on my youtube channel.