LegacyGT.com

Review of JmP Custom VF52

John is considered an essential worker, so he's working 7 days a week and has been since the pandemic started. I talked to him a month ago or so, he wants to go back to Turbos. Just has to wait for the supply chain to get started again. There's no eta, though.

He has/had a turbo for sale in the classifieds

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that JmP can rebuild a turbo with entirely different spool characteristics. If I had him rebuild a VF46, could he get it to spool similarly to a VF52 (which is the turbo I really want to be honest)? I'm assuming I couldn't get the same amount of oomph out of a modded VF46 as I could out of a VF52 though, right?

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that JmP can rebuild a turbo with entirely different spool characteristics. If I had him rebuild a VF46, could he get it to spool similarly to a VF52 (which is the turbo I really want to be honest)? I'm assuming I couldn't get the same amount of oomph out of a modded VF46 as I could out of a VF52 though, right?

At one point, he had access to a machine that could make anything crazy thing you could imagine out of any material. He had built a turbo that could be fully spooled up by 2000rpm. Couldn't find a buyer tho.

To your point, maybe, but not an expert. Curious why you wouldn't get a bigger turbo instead paying custom pricing on a smaller one?

I'm also not a turbo expert, but not all psi are the same. 20psi from a large turbo and 20psi from a small turbo will make different power, bigger turbo making more. Work/efficiency/flow/heat and all that.

I'd wager at the power levels of a modded 40/46 and a stock 52, there's a lot of over-lap possible. Maybe you can't get the 52 to spool as early, maybe you can't get the 40/46 to hold as much at the top. But for the majority of the usable daily and spirited driving rpm range, they're pretty close.

I could be wrong and need to leave the internet.

With a manual tranny, I find both the vf46 in the Spec and the vf52 fun and responsive.

If I had to chose, the vf52 is more fun, it still begins to make power about 2400rpm.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I wanted to thank you all so much for this thread and all of the kind things you've said on it. I also wanted to let everyone know that I'm building again, and parts have arrived with more on the way.

PM me if I can help.

Thanks again for the best automotive community on the internet. I do visit quite a lot, but don't write as much as I used to. Between work (my job is a critical supplier for Covid 19 respirators and ventilators and O2 equipment) and getting married, I've had quite a full plate for the past year or so, but just so you know....

I'm baaaccccckkkkkkkkk!!!

My "Incognito" Custom JMP VF40 is in route, I told John no pretty paint needed. Cobb AP3, Catted DP, boost control & Greddy SP2 probably will not go on until spring, this wagon doesn't get driven in the winter. Thank you John I hope I can wait until spring!

Edit: may need to try out the SP2 to see if the mid pipe needs a resonator.

Custom received.

JmP.thumb.jpg.33f4b2fdc27cc5410604158d0a15fb84.jpg

Edited by JJr

• 3 weeks later...

All of my LGT enthusiast friends,

Just for an update, I'll very soon be able to build brand new Custom VF52 with all new parts. I have parts coming to initially build 2 of these and once I have the rest of the information, I'll forward on more along with photos and will post in the for sale threads. I'll also probably build some with some used parts too if I can find cores, but there will be that option for new, at least until I run out of parts and have to order more. I can also build the OE Style for you, so don't hesitate to send me your cores for complete recondition/upgrade for OE Style too.

I'll also have a lot of parts to build Custom and OE Style VF40/46 and I can also build 2 brand new Custom VF39/43/48 if you're running a different TMIC and need the nipple style of compressor housing. I can also build these as OE Style too.

Please know that I still definitely need and like to receive complete and usable cores as they are the basic lifeblood of what I do and are more cost effective for you, so if you have a solid core and it's in need of recondition or upgrade, please let me know and I'll take your core and turn it into a far, far better unit than it ever was as OE.

Complete and usable cores include all plumbing, no broken shafts, all parts intact with no broken bolts. VF39/40/43/46/48/52 Custom and OE Style are what I can build currently, but if have something else, contact me and we'll see what I can do for you.

Thanks much folks. I'm on several other forums and this community is without a doubt, the most amazing group of people and enthusiasts head and shoulders above the rest.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Well....I did it this weekend. I had a Grimmspeed UP failure (piece of junk in my opinion as it rusted through the flex joint and I don't even drive the car in the winter, so beware if you use one), so I put on an STi UP AND my Custom "ROLLER BEARING" VF40 with larger wheel (between VF40 and VF52 in diameter) on the car. This is a one of a kind turbo that I've worked on and started to build a few years back and I installed it this weekend. It seems to run fine although I've just had it idling for about an hour. I revved it up several times while burping the coolant and it spools incredibly fast and I THINK it's going to be OK. No smoke or idling issues, and is dead silent with a stethoscope on the center bearing support housing while idling.

One very nice thing is my own Custom VF40 I took off was absolutely perfect. Completely dry on both ends, not a speck of side play or end play, and rolls beautifully, so I know from my own, I'm building them the right way. Of course, mine's ugly as I used parts that weren't pretty enough for anyone else...LOL>

I'm going to drive it around my neighborhood about 200+ laps and constantly check it out from all directions before I drive it on the open road, just to make sure because this is completely experimental and I'm hoping I can trust it.

Don't ask because it was a HUGE pain in the ass to make, at least in this iteration with the larger wheel. That being said, there is a small possibility, if this does work, I could make a few more with standard sized VF40 Custom forged billet wheels, but don't count on it. I have a lot of time and money in building it with all of the custom machining and parts, and it would probably be a bit cost prohibitive to build en mass, so I'll keep everyone informed as to if it works, how well, and if it's a success or failure.

I'll need to tune it eventually although all gauges continue to read the same as it did with my Custom VF40, so it's a crapshoot.

Stay tuned my friends. More information to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Update as promised. I have been driving the car a bit and so far, the AFR is still spot on and all gauges still read correctly, so my tune must be OK as it is, at least for now. I have absolutely no smoke or oil issues, and with a stethoscope on the center bearing support housing, it's actually slightly noisier than a journal bearing turbo, but I can't even feel it spinning from the outside, even with an ice pick on the bearing housing.

I will say this thing spools like a monster. It comes on about 1800 rpm, almost instantly jumps to about 17 psi, and pulls so damn hard, I can't believe it. It makes a kind of a cool whistle when it spools up sometimes, and it pulls extremely hard all the way through up to 7K, which is where I let off, but I think it would have kept on going. I've only driven it hard like this a couple of times and only for a couple of seconds, and I'm making a LOT of laps around the neighborhood in and out of boost, because I'm trying to learn whether or not I can actually trust it for a long haul. The car runs absolutely perfectly and extremely smoothly. Fuel mileage so far, well, as always, SUCKS...LOL!

This does have a bigger Custom forged billet extended tip wheel, and still uses the same inconel turbine/shaft assembly I put in the Custom VF40/46, so it's relying on the same turbine diameter and design. I like the way it feels when I decide to push a bit, and from a stop sign, it literally leaps.

I'm going to drive it some more, play with it, and I'll keep everyone updated again. In all honesty, IF, and this is a big IF, it plays out, I believe I have a machine shop now that can do the custom work I need for the center bearing support housing and I have a source for the roller bearings, so I MAY possibly consider building some of these (without the larger wheel-it's a pain in the ass to machine the compressor housing and I don't have access to the equipment anymore) as an option for a Custom VF40/46, but again, it's a BIG IF and it won't be for a while.

Don't ask about doing this to a VF52, because while I did purchase a set of roller bearings to fit the 9mm shaft in the larger turbo, there is just not enough material in the VF30/39/43/48/52 center bearing support housing to be able to machine it out and use the bearings, so that's basically out of the question, at least for the foreseeable future.

Quad scroll, carbon fiber, titanium, electrically controlled, sequential, individual cylinder feed, Td04...LOL

been meaning to ping you about a tiny turbo so I run one off each bank. Bolt to the exhaust post, with individual fmic feeding the same side intake. Should hit full boost at idle.

but quad scroll electrical regeneration sounds fun too

eta?