LegacyGT.com

Blown Whiteline Ball joints after just 4 track days, WTF??

After 4 days on track this season I managed to completely trash my Whiteline bump steer kit ball joints. The ball and cup had failed with rattle and play noticeable using just your bare hands. We, (that being myself and the tech at Cobb Surgeline that installed it) are completely mystified. No one has ever seen this happen. I ran the stock set up until this spring with zero problems on the original ones that are now 14 years old and in fact they were fine when we pulled them off to put the Whiteline kit on. It was just a box I hadn’t checked yet and with my car lowered on KW coil overs I figured it needed to be done as time and funds allowed. Anyone have thoughts on what caused the failure? The car literally got driven to the track, got the piss driven out of it per usual, and then drove home. Didn’t hit anything both on track or enroute to the track. Whiteline refused to warranty them due to “use on a race track” which I find laughable. They did offer to sell me just the ball joints for $50 as the tie rods from the kit are fine. It frustrates me to no end when I replace an OEM part, (that isn’t even broken!) in the name of upgrading to a supposedly “burly aftermarket part” only to have it fail after 4 days doing something I thought it was designed for :(

I have had better luck with GTSpec and autocrossed them in multiple events. Switched recently to WL due to GTSpec not being available atm. Will see how it goes.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I am using super pro

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/tie-rods-ball-joints/spp-trc0002-super-pro-front-roll-center-adjustment-kit

Still good after 5k miles of street use. I used them because I heard that whiteline rusts super easy and fails far sooner than OE. I'll see how long this set last.

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild