LegacyGT.com

Cool Article about the 05 SCCA wagons floating around still.. :)

At long last, I've admitted I might need help getting the wagon on track....

Dropping off a motor at all wheel drive's new performance shop to have the hg and tb replacement done. They use C&D for machine work, so I'm comfortable that the heads will be ok if needed. Debating dropping off both motors, so the replacement is "equal".

Looking for a KillerB oil pan to replace the dry sump system, which is removed already. Sitting in a box until I figure out what's needed to make it work. Reservoir was in the passenger seat and that doesn't work.

Talking to tuning shops that do accessport and hopefully race motors. Pretty small pond, tho.

Shopping tires. Tire rack has a close out on SuperSports. Simplytire is having a 10% off sale today, too. My buddy's tire machine is "broken" again, so looking for a cheap deal to remove old race tires from the rims.

Assuming everything works, I'll be at ORP for the Lucky Dog race on September 15-16. If you are interested, drop me a line. Taking a cue from Sgt.Gator's playbook, I'm going out without testing. I'm sure it'll be ok....

Two things:

1. I have a moroso steel 6qt oil pan/pickup if you want to buy it.

2. Trailer the car to Surgeline for tuning.

Two things:

1. I have a moroso steel 6qt oil pan/pickup if you want to buy it.

2. Trailer the car to Surgeline for tuning.

Surgeline certainly knows the car well enough. That would save some time and angst.

Are you going to sell the dry sump?

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Motor dropped off today. Should know by Friday what's next. Ordered a Killer B oil pan setup, because it's familiar :-)

A mild tune is 450$ so going to give it a whirl. If all else fails, I'll revert to a Cobb stage 2 tune. Going for 250hp or less.

Wagon is illegal in Lucky Dog until 2020 season, so not running for points. 250 is legal for everything else, so I'll run it until failure. :-)

Not much news. Working too much to get to the shop.

Kip took a week off to work on his wagon. One track day at the Ridge = 1 week working on his wagon. That's about what I remember from my days at the Ridge. He's signed up for Saturday, so I'll be heading out for a morning of sight-seeing. He's added brake ducts, new hubs, new clutch, Porterfield brake pads & disks, PF01 wheels, Toyo RR tires, Whiteline KTA124 rear kit, etc. Pretty much duplicated my street car, except he has brake ducts and a cage.

I'm curious to see if his hub failure rate matches mine.

The hubs seemed to have lived through a full day at the Ridge. But all wasn’t well as in the second session with Boxkita behind the wheel we lost brake pressure. Tino and his wife from Dundon helped out and bled the system for me but alas that didn’t resolve the issue. Finished the day out with furious pumping to slow. I actually put up my fastest lap. I guess I was braking too much [emoji3]Turns out the seals in the master cylinder were toast. Got that replaced and a fresh batch of Motul RBF 660.

I used Motul 75/90 for the rear diff and the redline/Motul cocktail in the trans.

Doing a day at Pacific on 8/31.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kip, It was a pleasure to watch you flog your wagon around! You went by my buddies built SWP STI and it was a great testament to both driver and excellent wagon. Hopefully the Silver Piglet will be joining you for track shenanigans soon.

30342630698_2aa894dba7_b.jpg

44210006871_f5aa22ab6c_b.jpg

30342630238_c6e52525e5_b.jpg

I'm reluctant to put the shop on the hook, however, they expect to be done with the motor on Friday and ready for pickup. Assuming that happens, I'll be attempting the install on Sunday.

Drive auto sports, All wheels driven's new performance shop, is doing the hg replacement. They are having an open house on Saturday from 1 to 4.

Both conference and lucky dog are racing the same weekend. So I can drive to ORP for 14 hours of drama or stay close to home for a couple of hours. The conference race offers the option of an engine swap in the case of an early engine failure. Decisions, decisions.

I need to start another thread that details the wagon but in the mean time here are a few shots. 4edb1c4b4aa84e4764539aa2349eb68a.jpg4bc9899c3edcee557acb47a801719d9f.jpg

The cage was done by 425 Motorsports in Bellevue WA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm reluctant to put the shop on the hook, however, they expect to be done with the motor on Friday and ready for pickup. Assuming that happens, I'll be attempting the install on Sunday.

Drive auto sports, All wheels driven's new performance shop, is doing the hg replacement. They are having an open house on Saturday from 1 to 4.

Both conference and lucky dog are racing the same weekend. So I can drive to ORP for 14 hours of drama or stay close to home for a couple of hours. The conference race offers the option of an engine swap in the case of an early engine failure. Decisions, decisions.

I should come to the LD race at ORP but I need to finish the season in Conference at the The Ridge. I'll either have the STI, the 818R or the Palatov. Most likely the STI, it's getting all 4 wheel bearings replaced today and the front rotors.

Assuming I can get the car together in time, I'll be doing the conference race. Getting my license reinstated let's me do all the post/pre season races.

The motor is end of life. 100mm and scars on the walls, so it won't last long. A bunch of stuff in the oil pan, too. The block is still flat, tho. The heads are a bit off tho. 3 exhaust valves have excess clearance, and the deck surface is not quite flat.

Picture added

I'll run until broken, then start piecing another one together. I still have one more running motor so can swap it in if needed. I'll get a mild tune so both motor should run on the same tune, I hope.

CylinderScoring.thumb.jpg.4f3e7df5e7e578630233283244fca940.jpg

Edited by boxkita

Suspension is back on with all new Whiteline parts. Thanks, Sgt.Gator.

Axles are back on, including a new one from Walker Renton Subaru. Gave me the "club" discount.

Driveshaft is back on and connected. Thanks, OBP sedan for the bolts. Always label your parts bags ;-)

The belts & harnesses are out of the car. The original Sabelt seat is out of the car. Upgrading to Schroth Enduro belts and Sparco HANS containment seat.

Original fire suppression system is removed, and being replaced with a Sparco system. Thanks, 425 Motorsports.

Original hoses on the motor are being replaced with kits from Infamous and Free Range Racing. After watching a LGT catch fire a couple of days ago when the dry-rotted breather hoses failed spraying hot oil all the engine bay, this seems like a critical upgrade.

Waiting on Jegs to ship the various AN fittings to finish off the motor. Really need to find a local source...

No pics. My phone won't connect to my computer. And the pics are too large to upload to lgt.com. Problems to solve another day.

For fittings, look around for where Contractors/Builders have there equipment repaired. Those big machines with hydraulic lines need fittings every now and then.

There are a number of places locally that make up hoses for Industry too.

search for the Parker Store. Parker fittings, are what we use at work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+parker+store+near+me&oq=the+parker+store&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.5226j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Another place is a Plumbing Supply house.

Here's a place that used to help us out with things and contact's, are car was in there catalog once, back in the day.

https://behrents.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItqP-v5Sd3QIVjI2zCh0Ueg_mEAAYASAAEgI-MfD_BwE

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Original hoses on the motor are being replaced with kits from Infamous and Free Range Racing. After watching a LGT catch fire a couple of days ago when the dry-rotted breather hoses failed spraying hot oil all the engine bay, this seems like a critical upgrade.

Indeed. That was my LGT that caught fire. $15 part led to a yet to be determined amount of damage. The passenger side valve cover breather hose cracked and popped off which pumped oil out into the engine bay. The oil hit the up pipe and ignited. Keep those hoses fresh boys.

• 3 weeks later...

At long last, found some free time to work on the race wagon. Kip and I worked on getting the new seat and recaro rails mounted. The sabelt seat brackets don't match the recaro rails, so chasing down different brackets.

Jegs came through with a set of adjustable AN wrenches saving big dollars on a full set. Only slipped once. Hoping the nerves in my thumb return to life at some point.

At long last, found some free time to work on the race wagon. Kip and I worked on getting the new seat and recaro rails mounted. The sabelt seat brackets don't match the recaro rails, so chasing down different brackets.

Jegs came through with a set of adjustable AN wrenches saving big dollars on a full set. Only slipped once. Hoping the nerves in my thumb return to life at some point.

That's great news. Are ya'll coming down to PIR to help us in the 2-4-8 hour enduro this Saturday? :)

I suggest a set of AN offset wrenches to compliment the adjustable wrench. There are places you can't get an adjustable into, and there are places a regular straight wrench can't fit, but the offset does work. Also note they are designed so you have two AN6, AN8, AN10, AN12...so you can hold one fitting steady while tightening another. :

Speedway Aluminum AN Fitting Wrench Set $49

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Aluminum-AN-Fitting-Wrench-Set,2935.html

456356839_SpeedwayANOffset.JPG.466f2f97f9efd89dd0aece8ee4a8957a.JPG

That's great news. Are ya'll coming down to PIR to help us in the 2-4-8 hour enduro this Saturday? :)

I suggest a set of AN offset wrenches to compliment the adjustable wrench. There are places you can't get an adjustable into, and there are places a regular straight wrench can't fit, but the offset does work. Also note they are designed so you have two AN6, AN8, AN10, AN12...so you can hold one fitting steady while tightening another. :

Speedway Aluminum AN Fitting Wrench Set $49

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Aluminum-AN-Fitting-Wrench-Set,2935.html

I saw your call for pit crew. I'm stalling until I can convince Mrs Boxkita that I need a break from yard work. I'm tentative at the moment. :-)

After Max Capacity's post, I visited the local Parker store. Fascinating place. They don't really do AN stuff or aeroquip specifically. They did offer some industrial marine solutions that might work. They also do certification tests.

I'm tempted to pull both fuel lines out and bring them to be fabbed with as few joints as possible then leak tested. The original motor has a simplified fuel connection setup that I'd like to further simplify from looking at race car pics. Also like to remove the multiple types of metals from the fuel line.

They do power steering and brake lines as well. Moving the power steering lines out of the engine bay or at least remove them from the up-pipe area should help with heat conduction.

Converting the brake lines to flexible lines should help with pad changes as I can set the calipers on the ground instead of trying to hang them out of the way. The levorg racecar has that feature. Kind of one of those "duh" moments. Memories of swapping hot pads on the Mustang linger ( I set the smoking hot pads on the ground. They melted into pavement and may still be there).

They had a water remover setup for outboard motors. While most race fuel is super fresh and water free, it never hurts to be sure. Especially in endurance racing where your fuel is sitting out in the weather. Also the fuel transfer setup was super simple, something to consider when looking at the wagon's fuel tank.

In other news, picked up a set of Planted seat brackets at 425 Motorsports today. Based on Kip's experience (he has recaro sliders with Planted brackets), this should be the correct fix. Reminiscing with Dan, I've been feeding my track habit with his shop for 8 years. Same great service and support every time.

Talked to Steam Turbos about options. They are local although they get their parts made in Taiwan. Looking for a replacement for my one off hta68 that FP can't make again. Steam is suggesting the stx71+ (I didn't take the best notes so probably wrong part #), same as the nameless rally team used. Rated to 400hp crank. Gex has agreed to give me a ride in his dom1.5xtr powered wagon to see if I want to keep using the one that came on the racewagon.

Talked to Steam Turbos about options. They are local although they get their parts made in Taiwan. Looking for a replacement for my one off hta68 that FP can't make again. Steam is suggesting the stx71+ (I didn't take the best notes so probably wrong part #), same as the nameless rally team used. Rated to 400hp crank. Gex has agreed to give me a ride in his dom1.5xtr powered wagon to see if I want to keep using the one that came on the racewagon.

You many know much of this, or not:

tocinoman25 has the STX71, but not the plus. You can dig up some of his posts for his thoughts and dyno charts. It was the only Steam turbo in LGT fitment when he got it. But they have the 67+ in LGT now.

PRE tested the STX71R, but was unimpressed.

https://preracing.com/stock-location-turbo-showdown/

They also tested the 67+

The guy that rebuilt my turbo had a STX 67 dissembled on his work desk, which was amazing timing for me. I almost pulled the trigger on one, and instead went with his Stage 2 rebuild. He was unimpressed with 67. Untouched castings, sharp edges internally. He was rebuilding that one, but I forgot to ask what was wrong with it. What held me back from buying a Steam turbo is the reliability of their turbos seems a bit off a gamble (NASOIC research), and support from Steam is rumored to not be great. However, I have their EBCS on my car and when I had a question on it, I got a response on a Sunday. Maybe ask if you have an issue with a turbo how quickly can they get a replacement out to you. To not miss an event or something of that nature.

Another guy on here that has a (08?) WRX with DOM1.5 on it, had it start leaking and found the support from them to be miserable, so had it rebuilt by someone else.

Just to muddy the waters for ya.

Edited by rebourne