LegacyGT.com

got some new stuff for engine R&R

Nrw is where my info came from.

PM him or I'm sure underdog would know too. I'm also sure when to order the gasket set, with your VIN, you'll get the correct set. Remember the set is not complete. THe half moons are missing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm just trying to get my head around all this. I've never seen such randomness from a car company....

Have you looked at these cars? :lol:

B9 Tribeca, 5th gen Legacy, etc. They all looked weird when they first came out, then looked very nice after a while!

• 2 weeks later...

Just going to add this here.

I just had to unbolt the turbo from the up pipe to get the tranny to slide out.

I had sometime to think about putting the tmic back on.

I started the 3 bolts to hold the turbo to up pipe. Then stuck the tmic in the TB hose, made sure the tmic inlet was close to where it needed to be. Tightened the screw clamp, tilted the tmic and started the back bolt at the turbo to tmic, tilted some more and started the front bolt.

Then started the support bracket bolts, then tighten the two turbo to tmic bolts, then tightened the support bracket bolts, then tightened the 3 bolts at the up pipe.

It was the easiest the tmic has ever gone on. took more time to type this.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 3 weeks later...
why forge no matter which one you go with??

As long as you are going in there may as well get forged ones. The non-forged ones generally lead to Piston Ringland Failures...

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 6 months later...

So I'm reading this thread here and its making me wonder.. some here got new short blocks and already had a cracked ringland again :-/ and I hear forged is not great for longevity.

I mean I had low compression but I haven't torn my block down so I don't know if the walls are cuffed but rebuilding a stock block with 201k seems pointless still?

Shop around, where I live the 257 was already sitting behind the parts counter as the 05 Legacy was a popular car to be traded in with ringland failure. Parts guy says he always keeps a few in stock for the rebuilds they get often. I was tempted to just let him do it since he was a 4 gen LGT owner but also traded in for a 5th gen N/A. I wonder if he posts here? He's not at the notorious Adventure Time Subaru dealership.

IMO you don't need forged pistons. Over 54,000 miles on the engine at 21psi. Still runs great.

It's all in the Tune.

How much HP are you looking for ?

So I'm reading this thread here and its making me wonder.. some here got new short blocks and already had a cracked ringland again :-/ and I hear forged is not great for longevity.

I mean I had low compression but I haven't torn my block down so I don't know if the walls are cuffed but rebuilding a stock block with 201k seems pointless still?

IMO you don't need a new block and you should consider forged pistons, Keep Reading.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ej255-engine-failure-and-my-horror-story-207816.html

Edited by HellShadow70

I was reading I'm going to give this guy a call I would do it all myself but I'm a little scared on the bearing clearances using the plastic gauge. And trying to get the piston pins back in.

Having said that I do think think I will go with acl bearings because I heard some had them delamanate.

• 4 weeks later...
Subaru offers two different diameter pistons, A and B... the bores in a subaru engine are not all the same; they come in different configurations. For example an AAA block is a block where all cylinders are the same size, AND are the smaller of the two different diameters. Some blocks are BBB (same deal). What people tend to avoid is the ABAB blocks - etc. I'm not sure if there's an ABBA AAAB etc. however. The engine I'm building now is ABAB... the one in my car now is an AAAA.

I hope that helps!

My stock block is AAAB

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This one is a lot nicer then the first one back in 2007.

The pedal pressure is still like stock.

I put the tranny in neutral when possible when sitting still.

It's easy to let it out slowly and let the engine just pull the car at idle on the flats.

I find that it only chatters if the air is humid and I don't get the release perfect. But it only shatters that one time.

It will howl every now and than when letting it out in 1st gear, but that's because of the friction material.

Like most clutches it's hard to release it, get it all most out and then have to push it back in a bit to slow and then change and release it again.

I have over 10,000 miles on it now. I enjoy it as much as I do the Blast Plates.

• 3 months later...

Adding this link in case you haven't seen it yet.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mr-tris-rebuild-threadi-246893.html

Update on the ej257, Still runs great. I have over 65,000 miles on it at 21psi, I couldn't be more happy with it. It will use a little oil after the oil has some miles on (say 2500 or so) it depends on how much boost the engine sees. I'm still doing 7000 miles oil changes using Amsoil 5w-40 and their filters.

As well as being my DD the car goes to VT weekends, that's a 2 and a 1/2 hour drive one way.

Adding this link in case you haven't seen it yet.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mr-tris-rebuild-threadi-246893.html

Update on the ej257, Still runs great. I have over 65,000 miles on it at 21psi, I couldn't be more happy with it. It will use a little oil after the oil has some miles on (say 2500 or so) it depends on how much boost the engine sees. I'm still doing 7000 miles oil changes using Amsoil 5w-40 and their filters.

As well as being my DD the car goes to VT weekends, that's a 2 and a 1/2 hour drive one way.

I love Amsoil. I run it for 10,000 miles on my NA forester.

I know you keep saying it runs great which is....great :), but how do your fuel trims currently look like? And do you have any FLKC events registered? Or are you really completely free of FLKC? And how much oil does your engine really consume between oil changes?

Just curious..

I know you keep saying it runs great which is....great :), but how do your fuel trims currently look like? And do you have any FLKC events registered? Or are you really completely free of FLKC? And how much oil does your engine really consume between oil changes?

Just curious..

I'm curious as to the oil consumption, too. My car's consumption is boost-dependent. If I *flog* the car for a tank or two of gas, I'll have to top off as much as a pint. If I am doing a lot of highway cruising, and taking it easy, that pint is consumed over 1,500 miles instead of 300. 176k on my car now, original motor.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

You'll need to ask my Tuner Mike Kinsman about the FLKC events. I have no idea. That's what I pay him for, to make sure the tune is safe.

I estimate a qt and a half in the 7000-8000 miles oil changes.