LegacyGT.com

Official dual HVAC Double Din (JDM) Kit thread V2

dwolson2

This is my first post on this forum, so please excuse my ignorance when it comes to modifications or anything of the sort.

I just bought a 2005 Legacy GT Limited (USDM), and am looking to replace the head unit to a double DIN. I just emailed SVXdc, so he's yet to respond.

What size infotainment/receiver will fit in the JDM bezel? (listed here): https://avojdm.com/dual-zone-av-panel-set-h6217ag911/

Down the road, I'm also planning on installing aftermarket speakers, sub, and amp, so is there anything important I should know? Thank you.

Standard double din will work. Not true double din size as mentioned above. My soundstream VRCP-65 fits fine. Got a harness already and powers up. Just can’t move on because I don’t got the i88 yet.

Bump from the dead. LOL. trying to finally do this on my lgt finally.

EDIT: emailed SVXdc about it already. Approximately how long is long on the harness?

He got back to me after about a week. He mentioned that he's received many orders for the harness, and that he has family issues going on right now. It took about 2 days for him to ship it after I ordered the harnesses.

Do you know if this would fit based on the specs? https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navigation_multimedia/dmx7706s/

I can measure the opening of mine when I get home. I'm planning to go with the Kenwood dmx906 so I hope that fits. I don't have a head unit yet but I think that should fit without issue. It looks like from the pic above its an issue of faceplate opening size? Likely could dremel it out some at worst. Assuming there isn't any issues with mounting brackets behind.

He got back to me after about a week. He mentioned that he's received many orders for the harness, and that he has family issues going on right now. It took about 2 days for him to ship it after I ordered the harnesses.

He got back to me in 3 days and I just completed my order. Hoping to move on quickly since i chose priority mail. Just putting this here in case anyone else needs to know he’s still active on it.

Might be ghetto, but I've done it before in my other car. Weather stripping works ok, especially in a tighter spot like that.

Everything seems like it’s tighter on the right side even though I trimmed a bit for the hazard button.

I think I’ll trim under the HVAC since the plastic areas for the shifter line up under the HVAC in a certain way

Everything seems like it’s tighter on the right side even though I trimmed a bit for the hazard button.

I think I’ll trim under the HVAC since the plastic areas for the shifter line up under the HVAC in a certain way

Ah, I haven't installed mine yet so I can't confirm for sure for you. I'm looking for a good deal on a double din for now.

The tab recesses in the HVAC panel don’t match up to the shifter trim being LHD versus RHD they were built for... I bought a spare shifter trim I just painted to more closely match the darker HVAC trim and I was going to trim down the tabs in the shifter trim to better fit the HVAC trim to align better... my gap is currently under the radio but above the shifter...

67c7387f6be49b58116b3dce8dad726e.jpg

You can see the tab between the pieces in the gap. This is the original trim with my number plaque. I’m removing this one and setting it aside. Otherwise it looks pretty good to the untrained eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Just did this install today.

SVXDC took a couple of days to reply to my email, but then shipped the harness very quickly and it arrived fast. Less than two weeks from first email to arrival.

Used a Pioneer 4400 head unit. Pre-installed my RCA cables for amps I'll put in shortly, but fired everything up and its working great. Sounds significantly better than the stock unit too.

There's a *very* slight gap to the left of the shifter section just under the new hvac controls, but its so minor I don't think anyone would ever notice it. All in all, I love it. Only thing I regret is not doing this years ago (It's an '06 that I bought new).

Thanks a ton for the help on this thread!

Pete

c546fc149973038ce7515834b9a3d092.jpg

Edited by SactoPete

• 2 weeks later...
Great write up! Any clue on what 96svx is charging for a i88 harness?

He likes people to contact him and follow the instructions on his site because there are so many little peculiarities. He's very helpful and I was surprised at the cost and how fast the shipping was. I wouldn't worry about it. Compared to 600+ for the dash kit and a radio, it's minimal.

• 3 weeks later...
Yea.... Photobucket....

Whatchu need pictures of? I have the double din kit in storage.

Firstly, why would a company make a policy that made you detest them. **** Photobucket. I wouldn't host a picture there if it were the last place on Earth to do so.

I have one, it just doesn't seem to make sense though. The conversion is supposed to have been done but, I don't seem to have the right plug to interface. It might help if I could discern which were stereo and which were HVAC. It's a dual zone and the module says Kenwood on it.

Mine isn't connected. There's a mess ton of wires. I have to go get tools today anyway so I'll grab them and take some pictures. Do you have steering wheel controls also? I had to buy 3 different harnesses but haven't gotten a head unit yet.

This is why I really appreciate that covertrussian has uploaded all of his pictures directly instead of hosting them and the different people who are doing the pdf attachments.

• 2 weeks later...
What’s up guys new to the site. Bought an 05 OBXT for commuting, my Tundra gets a whopping 12MPG, and I can’t stand listening to my local radio channels. I had all intentions on buying from avo or Japanparts but just wanted to see if anyone has or knows anyone selling the H6217AG911 double din kit with or without the hazard switch. Already ordered harness from 96svx plus have a head unit. Thanks in advance.

What’s up guys new to the site. Bought an 05 OBXT for commuting, my Tundra gets a whopping 12MPG, and I can’t stand listening to my local radio channels. I had all intentions on buying from avo or Japanparts but just wanted to see if anyone has or knows anyone selling the H6217AG911 double din kit with or without the hazard switch. Already ordered harness from 96svx plus have a head unit. Thanks in advance.

Post a wtb in the classifieds forums under the wtb section. They go fast when they get posted up. Like 45 minutes fast, and arent much cheaper than just ordering one. If you're not in a hurry, it's fine.

Also check through the normal threads about the car if you haven't. Check oil frequently, pull the banjo bolts, remove the catted uppipe. If you haven't done those already. My obxt only gets 20mpg but I'm hoping it'll do better once tuned.