LegacyGT.com

Widebody Outback XT Build Thread

I dont know why I didn't make a build thread on here earlyer, since ive already done so much to the car but I want to gain some exposure for my newest endeavor that I plan on starting soon.

Current Sponsors:

Brian Crower

Grimmspeed

Mishimoto

E Flex Fuel Technology

Things I have already done to the car:

Lowered on BC Coilovers

Whiteline control arms

Whiteline rear sway bar

Energy suspension poly bushings front and rear

Then I blew up the motor and went crazy with it:

Subaru forged ad nitrated crankshaft

Brian Crower H beam connecting rods

JE forged pistons 99.75 mm

King bearings

11mm oil pump

Moroso oil pick up

BC 272 cams

BC intake and exhaust valves

BC dual valve springs

ARP head studs

DW 1200 cc injectors with wrx fuel rails

Aem 340lph fuel pump

Aeromotive fpr

Grimmspeed lightweight crank pulley

Act lightweight flywheel

Spec stage 2+ clutch and pressure plate

Fully balanced rotating assembly

Current bolt ons include:

Grimmspeed tmic

Mishimoto turbo inlet

Megan racing 3 inch catless downpipe

All engine and trans mounts are group n poly

Probably some stuff I'm missing there but it's all of memory.

All of these projects were documented on my YouTube channel @Sw Speed. All future projects will be documented here as well as YouTube.

This post is just to get you all caught up on what has been done, next post I will get into my next projects details and other things.

Hope you guys enjoy going on this journey with me.

Cheers!!

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by samuel082799

So below you will see a picture of the car in its current state, as well as a sketch I did of the widebody kit I planed.

So the parts in black are obviously the body kit parts and I'm going to be making them out of carbon fiber. The spliter, side skirts, and diffuser will be made of alumilite with carbon fiber end pieces.

My initial plan was to basically use the stock fender as a mold to create my new fenders and then cut all the fender out of the inside giving me lots of room for activities. The plan is to put some 285 tires on it and upon further research I will need to actually make the fenders wider to fit that size tire in there. According to the calculator below it will need to be approximately 1.5 inches wider. I like the way the stock outback fenders look, so I want to keep it similar to that style while making it wider.

How I plan on doing this is to get some 1.5 inch wheel spacers for my stock wheels for testing fitment and geting the widebody kit made. I still want to use the stock fenders as my mold so I need to modify them to look like I want it to and then do the carbon fiber lay up on top. I haven quite figured out how yet, but I'm thinking of using either foam or some thin sheet metal which is the rout ill probably go with.

That's the current plan for the widebody, im going to try and make some little carbon fiber parts first to get a feel for it before I move onto the fenders.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome, hopefully we can all learn something from this process.

Other projects I'll probably get done before the widebody kit :

Whiteline bump steer correction kit

Whiteline diff bushings

E85 conversion d291171fa51c1bc2269d3102b127dfcc.jpg09246a5b56eeda3b05f35b3d62485e1f.jpg7b3952e8135ca0d2590b01350095f697.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I got the whiteline bumpsteer correction kit installed the other day. I'm going to save the diff bushings for when the car is down for the widebody kit. I haven't put much time behind the wheel yet, but I'm going to be going to a canyon to test it out next week hopefully.

So far the car feels like the spring rate up front is closer to what it actually is. Before if I took a hard turn the outside front wheel would dig in. Now it is handling alot flater which feels alot better, and more predictable.

Until I get to put the suspension through its passes I can say so far it seems to be worth the money.e7de234dd72a0e830aed3bfc75ef462c.jpg

• 4 months later...

I finished school up for the semester so now I have some time to get caught up on this thread and my car projects.

Updates since last post:

Whiteline Bump Steer Correction Kit video is here:

I abandoned the arduino e85 project because eflexfuel technology sent me a flex fuel kit to test out which is soon much better than mixing fuel. Video for that is here:

I've done some other stuff from then till now but I will update them as I go and as I edit and upload videos, because I film everything.

At the moment I have a few new projects on my list:

Legacy GT brake upgrade

Grimmspeed master cylinder brace

Skining my new intake in carbon fiber

Making a carbon fiber alternator cover, and heat shield for the intake

I'm also going to make a widebody mock up using poster board or something to see if I can settle on a design I like, and get a wheel sponsor on board.

I've just been kinda worried that if I make my car too flashy I might increase the likelyhood of getting pulled over and state refed, but I really want to put some meats on it. So that being said my design is going to try and make it look like something that belongs on the car, but that is why I'm going to do a mock up to see what I like.

Thank you to those who subscribed to this build thread I'm looking forward to keeping this up to date now that I have some more time.

madrig makes cf tear quarters that are wider. also front fender extensions to add width. search on boxkita by thread. i created a listing of all his offerings.

look for posts from dustinsonger. he built an outrageous outback. 295, monster turbo, etc

The madrig fenders are a similar idea to the style I'm going for, my current idea is to go for the overfender look and add a slight bit of aggressiveness to it. I do like how the madrig fenders are very subtle and look factory

one of dustin's threads. looks like many of the pics aged off. last couple posts still have them. He brought an early iteration to an autox day...what a wild car.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/second-coming-dustinsongers-insert-interesting-tarmac-motorsport-here-wagon-243354p2.html

This is a neat thread to follow, but I hate widebody cars. Mainly because people go wayyy over board to the point the car looks ugly.
I agree with your statement about widebody kits, im going to try and not go overboard with this kit

• 1 month later...

I have not yet started on carbon fiber work. I finished my legacy gt brake swap which was alot of work since pretty much every flare nut rounded off but I'm glad it's done.

I have also decided that I want to finish my exhaust before I start anything else because evidently the current exhaust is too loud. I have been attracting the attention of law enforcement and I want to go a little more stealth. I'm over the loud exhaust at this point.

As far as widebody development goes I found this 3d scan of a 2005 Subaru Outback :

https://www.3dcadbrowser.com/3d-model/subaru-outback-wagon-2005

I'm going to download this file and use fusion 360 to design my widebody kit, and I might get a new 3d printer and print the mold to lay my carbon fiber in so it's more consistent side to side then just hand sculpting it.

• 4 months later...

I started working with some carbon fiber components just to learn how to work with the material. So far I've only done skinning so technically not carbon fiber parts but we are taking baby steps.

I've made a switch panel where my cigarette lighter used to go and skined the shifter bezel in carbon fiber. On top of that I made a alcantara shift boot and e brake boot, and topped it off with a mishimoto shift nob, came out very nice imo.

I also skined a piece of the door card which turned out pretty nice, ill post some pictures of everything.

de297777cfc9bbb158fff575acee0bb6.jpg2e8d8498f1247ef6356ccd1dfb494c59.jpg36dbf719feb9430ba0a6f2dfecda9796.jpg59ddcf200e23c7fef37a9642eecec998.jpg66e277e8ce8a76324b5f25fd8a4bfce7.jpg90bc285d65874cfadc964d18904c8382.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is the link for the video on the alcantara shift boot and e brake boot:

I think for my next carbon fiber project I may do a alternator cover. I'm going to make a mold for that one so I can make extras if anyone might want one

• 8 months later...

**Update**

A lot has happened since my last post but I'm finally starting to move into the direction of making some more carbon fiber parts. I have had a lot of issues with my car this past year that I wanted to address before doing cosmetic stuff.

Story Time!!

I had my car very well sorted at the beginning of the year, but 320whp was not enough to beat some of those faster V8 boys so I decided to go big turbo. I got a Blouch 1.5 XTR 10 cm along with a Tomei UEL header, and a IBR fuel rail and line kit. As some of you may know all of these new performance parts turned my sorted car into a unsorted car with issues that need to be troubleshooted. After a lot of tuning I got everything working good on 91 octane and the car was making around 380 whp at 20 psi. Since the 91 tune was done the plan was to switch to e85 and begin optimizing it by adding timing and bumping boost up to 25 psi. So I filled up with e85 and without tuning anything, two pulls in I lost 3rd gear. seeing the power difference that e85 made on the stock turbo without any optimization, I estimate it was making around 420whp at the time of transmission failure. So I pulled the transmission and rebuilt it and got 1-4 gears WPC treated to give it a fighting chance. I then went back to 91 and have been running it like that ever since. This was just a band aid, I'm still shooting for 500whp so the next big project I'm working towards is a STI 6 speed swap. I plan to do this in December when I have a break from school.

Next post will be update on the new projects I have in mind!

I will post some video links and pictures here if you want more information:

20220403_180100.jpg

20220425_200036 (1).jpg

• Like 1

The Widebody Kit:

I'm on the fence about the idea of making the widebody kit to fit 285 tires on the car. I'm leaning towards the idea of just making a mold of the stock fender with some styling tweaks sot hat it is a functional flare without the metal on the inside to snag the tire on. this way I would be able to run 255 tires. The reason I am on the fence is that I am not sure that I can make it look good lol. I think a lot of widebody kits look terrible so I want to make something that looks like it belongs which is easier said than done. one of my friends recently got a 3d scanner so we have been working on getting the car scanned into CAD. That being said, if I can come up with a design in CAD that I like I will do the widebody, if not I will just make a mold of the stock fenders as I stated before.

Fun Fact: The stock Front fenders for the Outback only weigh 7 pounds, so there is not much weight savings to be had, but the final carbon fiber part will probably weigh less than 2 pounds.

Another project I am starting work on is making a custom front bumper. My idea is to take a 2005 STI bumper and graft it to a 2005 Outback bumper. I did a terrible photoshop of the idea, but you get the point. I have also acquired a 2005 outback, and 2005 Impreza bumper. I may also make the final product out of either carbon fiber or fiberglass. 

Ill attach some pictures, let me know what you think and stay tuned!

20220910_123050 (1).jpg

Subaru bumper copy.jpg