LegacyGT.com

New member, new car on the way. Tuned by STI

MDMA

Car has been collected from the docks and now with the importer. They've given it a quick wash off and will prep it in the New Year. Going to be another month now before it's registered and road legal. Can't wait.

Image-from-i-OS-57.jpg

Image-from-i-OS-61.jpg

Image-from-i-OS-69.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Small update. Had the dreaded Coronavirus over Christmas and been bed ridden for nearly 3 weeks. Now have a liver infection because of it but back on my feet again.

Car is due an MOT early next week, then the new log book can be applied for from the DVLA and a new age related plate issued. Realistically, it's going to be February now before I get it I think. Few more pics though in the meantime.

Keep safe everyone.

Image-from-i-OS-56.jpg

Image-from-i-OS-58.jpg

Image-from-i-OS-59.jpg

Image-from-i-OS-62.jpg

Image-from-i-OS-68.jpg

Just bought some Tuned by STI rear seat parts for my black interior conversion. Love the red stitching on these parts.

I'm sure the door cards would swap to the US versions, but has anyone dealt with the window switches being on the opposite side? I haven't looked closely yet if that entire plastic housing can be swapped over either...

• 2 weeks later...
Feel better soon, hope the worst is behind you.

Thanks.

No nearer to getting the car. Most of the staff at the DVLA in Swansea are WFH. Over 500 of them have tested positive for Covid-19. They are prioritising new vehicle registrations at the moment and everything else is at the bottom of the pile. They say it could be at least another 4-5 weeks before the paperwork comes through.

Never mind, will just have to sit and wait.

To brighten the day up though, few little parts have started to arrive.

IMG-20210127-1121167.jpg

IMG-20210127-1122465.jpg

Edited by MDMA

Just bought some Tuned by STI rear seat parts for my black interior conversion. Love the red stitching on these parts.

I'm sure the door cards would swap to the US versions, but has anyone dealt with the window switches being on the opposite side? I haven't looked closely yet if that entire plastic housing can be swapped over either...

Yep, it can be done. It's not a hard process but it's one where you have to be very careful and tedious about what you're doing to keep the plastic mounting points intact.

The door cards are like 98% held together with plastic rivets/welds and they need to be carefully drilled or melted (I drilled) out and then you can use screws to replace them. I didn't do a write-up on it unfortunately.

I did all this to swap in the front JDM door cards that have the additional 3" speaker grill from the McIntosh system and added the alcantara inserts from the 08-09 SpecB's at the same time. There are a few pics of the finished work in my build thread. If you're not trying to change the inserts on the rear door cards JDM ones are completely PnP. Same connections on the window switches as USDM.

• 1 month later...

We have news! The car is now ready to collect. I just need to arrange a collection day now. Only a 500 mile trip to get it home ! A friend has an enclosed race trailer so might be this Saturday or the one after. Already got the car booked in to have the wheels refurbed, new set of tyres landed last week. America's finest (but made in Germany).

IMG-20210218-1402050.jpg

Decided to have it collected instead. Will be home on Wednesday next week. Saves me a 10 hour trip with the race trailer. Speed limit is 60mph when towing instead of 70mph. Would be a long day! Roll on Wednesday.

Decided to have it collected instead. Will be home on Wednesday next week. Saves me a 10 hour trip with the race trailer. Speed limit is 60mph when towing instead of 70mph. Would be a long day! Roll on Wednesday.

Interesting to see that California is not the only place with a lower towing speed limit. Limit is 55 mph for towing here in California, makes for some rather unpleasant traffic patterns on the 70 mph freeways with lots of truck traffic...

Well it has landed. First impression is that it's really clean and straight. I know what needs doing to make it perfect. Will start the deep clean and detail on it this weekend and then get it in for the belt swap and full service.

Not even one flat intercooler fin. Got to love a fresh JDM car. I'll get some better pictures this weekend. Too dark and wet now. Rain looks like it's here for the rest of the week.

IMG-20210310-2048462.jpg

IMG-20210310-2048548.jpg