LegacyGT.com

DIY double din?

I know that the main option here is to purchase the JDM dual climate HVAC unit and replace my stock unit with this. However, while researching how much it would cost and where to find the JDM hazard switch I came across this post on the Outback forums.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/67-classifieds/195834-2005-2009-fs-jdm-dual-climate-control-pioneer-nav-headunit-custom-stealth-sub-box.html

In particular, what peaked my interest about this was the two pictures I'm attaching.

It looks like he just got the face plate out of another car and cut it to fit in place of the face plate on the JDM unit to avoid having to replace the hazard switch

My question is: is there a write up for this somewhere? Have people done this much?

I'm very interested in doing it but would like some more details. Of course, my goal would do have a double din without spending the cash on the JDM unit

Disclaimer: I have been searching both google and through the outback and legacy forums for the last hour with no luck.

1912331_601641666143_1741433408_n.jpg.8da1055e1cd81573604fe04210d4d3f2.jpg

1800404_601641656163_576616018_n.jpg.e3f2b3cd29358cf7143a375cf99b5475.jpg

That is the JDM HVAC with a scoche non auto HVAC double din mount to keep the USDM hazard switch.

If you keep searching there IS a DIY I think on this site that mods the stock HVAC controls to use a different radio, it is not easy and didn’t seem reliable to me.

Yeah I went through this, the only place I could find to source the JDM HVAC controller, it came with the faceplate. The Hazard button was sold seperate, at the time It was in stock, but can't seem to find it on their store anymore. However I think I read you can modify the USDM button to fit. Honestly I think modifying the USDM button to fit the JDM face plate may be a less tricky endeavor.

http://avojdm.com/dual-zone-av-panel-set-h6217ag911/

Yeah I went through this, the only place I could find to source the JDM HVAC controller, it came with the faceplate. The Hazard button was sold seperate, at the time It was in stock, but can't seem to find it on their store anymore. However I think I read you can modify the USDM button to fit. Honestly I think modifying the USDM button to fit the JDM face plate may be a less tricky endeavor.

http://avojdm.com/dual-zone-av-panel-set-h6217ag911/

Definitely, an option and I will likely end up going that route, at least I wont have to buy the switch.

However, I'm still a budget tuner/DIYer at heart and am wondering if there is a way I can do this for less than 270 bucks.

is the goal of this to keep the hazard button on the right side? you know the JDM hvac will be angled still to the right side since it's made for a RHD and will not be a 100% match to the trim and ash tray panel. also the hvac buttons are in reverse of the USDM buttons and in celsius. seem like a lot of work for nothing gained but the location of a button. i have the 2DIN in my car unmodified. just cutout the part behind the hazard button.

no the goal of this thread is to see if there is an option to DIY/mod my head unit so I do not have to spend 270 dollars on the JDM unit just so I can have an aftermarket head unit.

I don't care at all about the placement of the hazard switch. I just look at the fact that I have to spend money on what essentially is a din and then spend the money on a HU to fill that din.

buttons are in reverse of the USDM buttons and in celsius.

does this mean that even if I cough up the cash for the JDM HVAC unit and wire it to my car it will still read in celsius?

Not to thread jack but, are you really at 30 mpg and 290 whp on your 05 LGT? I need this in my life! Is this in your build thread? If so I need to do some serious reading now.

Yup I am, another thread to read through for my MPG tuning adventure.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived