LegacyGT.com

How many miles on your CVT? Any Issues?

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got 60k. Just had it inspected for rare shudder when shifting from park to drive. Only happens when hot/hot outside. They checked fluid and test drove. No problems. Other people have reported same. The mechanic said 10-12 the cvt was better built and has had no problems. Do get slight electric buzz through radio but that could be poor electrical shielding.

It's somewhat rare but a few high mileage CVT's are having solenoid problems that makes for an abrupt stall when coming to a stop. Some dealers may not or choose to not be aware of it :rolleyes: The one's I've heard of have gotten replacement CVT's under warranty.

24k+ on my '12. No issues what so ever. As smooth as the first day I drove it.

I thought the oil in the CVT was lifetime? :iam:

X

That's what my owners manual says. No maintenance required on the CVT.

Response from a Subaru tech in another forums:

Sorry for the delay, missed this post. the info posted above is correct. We have to ask why you are feeling the need to change so often; and what you plan to tow that needs the extra cooler. I have taken the school CVT apart, a amazing unit. Overall, very simple in comparison to a normal Automatic.

Subaru now has 2 generations of CVT, both have very little that we are allowed to do to them. Our big worry is contamination of the fluid; this is why there is no fill plug. just putting the incorrect fluid in it could cause the chain assy to fail.

The transmission requires a clean room for rebuild--- currently there is no facility in the USA to rebuild a CVT. all we can do is replace the valve body. The fail rate on the cvt is very low; a few minor issues on the early ones and we have one with a failed ft diff in the shop now-waiting to ship it back. If one fails;we must take a bunch of pressure readings before removal,than we can replace the transmission.. a real PITA. I have done one fluid adjustment, you do need the scan tool. We also had a few cars come in where we had to adjust the cvt fluid level--- overfilled at assembly..

Also Note-the fluid is very expensive..

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/anyone-figure-out-how-do-drain-fill-new-cvt-trans-182825/index2.html#post1936193

This is not your father's CVT.

X

---

In 2yrs of following this, I have not read of a single 2010+ Legacy CVT failure.

There is a post on an Outback forum where an owner changed the CVT fluid himself and there's been several posts where owners have changed their own front differential oil. The CVT has a separate diff housing that holds gear oil.

I'm only at ~36K miles on my 2012 Legacy CVT, but it's been flawless.

Talked to a subaru mechanic last night. They have only had one...to replace and that is being done now. They are replaced as a unit. The mechanic went to school and said the first gen cvt's are amazing. He said the belt and drives are polished like you wouldn't believe. The one they are working on had a noise in the front diff. Both the diff and cvt are on unit.

27,956 miles so far on my '11. No issues what so ever. 2 trips to Florida in the last 6 weeks. Had a blast carving through the mountains each time!! I've performed all of my own maintenance so far, but I will probably take it in for it's 30,000 mile maintenance.

Got 60k. Just had it inspected for rare shudder when shifting from park to drive. Only happens when hot/hot outside. They checked fluid and test drove. No problems. Other people have reported same. The mechanic said 10-12 the cvt was better built and has had no problems. Do get slight electric buzz through radio but that could be poor electrical shielding.

Did he said why/how the first gen CVT is built better? I intentionally waited until the second gen CVT to buy my Subaru because I assumed they wouldn't make the CVT worse.

Did he said why/how the first gen CVT is built better? I intentionally waited until the second gen CVT to buy my Subaru because I assumed they wouldn't make the CVT worse.

I wouldn't sweat it glock.

The only thing you hear is the newer generation CVTs are "lighter". They're just trying to gain some fuel economy.

He said they really lightened it up and made it smaller. He thought Subaru went overkill to prevent problems. He couldn't believe how well the inside of the first gen was made. Quality materials finished like you wouldn't believe. He said the chain/belt is so smooth its unreal. I didn't get into specs or anything and just talked in general.

5600 on my '13 leggy sport...only thing i have noticed is a clunk/clank on a cold start when it shifts from 1-2 after backing out of the garage...

Are we talking when you "manually" shift your CVT with the paddles?

Do the front and rear differentials on the CVT unit share fluid or are they separate units?

Front diff is between cvt and engine. There is a drain plug and overfill plug. On top passenger side is a dipstick with a breather tube. Takes 1.7 75w-90 fluid. Rear diff has drain and fill. Takes .7-.8 75w-90. Separate units.

I guess that could be a valid question since Honda uses fluid from the front to actuate the rear for their fwd based reactive awd.

Are we talking when you "manually" shift your CVT with the paddles?

nope. simply reverse out of garage, stop, put into drive...it hesitates a split second, then a slight click/clunk when, i am assuming, it shifts from 1st-2nd...

Close to 70K on our 2010 Legacy 2.5i Premium. Changed the CVT fluid for 2nd time - convinced by Dealer to do it. i argued that the Subaru manual indicates that the fluid should be good for 100k (?), I think. But under the circumstances of lots of stop and go traffic, it is recommended to chnage the CVT Tranny fluid every 36K according to my dealer. Not sure if its BS. i also changed all the Diff oils 2 X as well.

No issues with the CVT at all. After getting used to a CVT, I think it's a Good Thing. Getting an average overall MPG of about 26.5 with plenty of mixed city, suburban and highway driving. My son drives the car primarily, and he's not too soft on the gas pedal....When I fill er up and drive it on occassions, normal commuting runs of 40 miles with 75% highway (with some traffic - Hey it's NY) and 25% Suburban / City driving - I"ll get 31 on the MPG screen.

Took my 2010 in for a a shutter on the down shift between 4 and 3. Was in highway construction and did many speed ups and slow downs and I noticed the shutter. Dealer could not replicate, but its on the books in case it gets worse past warranty. 41,000 miles. Recently drove a 2013 and quick observation is that the 2013 was quieter and more responsive. On the down side it felt like a manual transmission as you accelerate it will accelerate better but it also resists like a manual as you decelerate...not as smooth as the 2010.