LegacyGT.com

Warning Light Issues

The LGT has developed an odd intermittent issue that I'd appreciate any insight on. About a week ago I noticed that above 3000 rpm my battery and brake warning lights would start to faintly flicker. I was concerned that the alt (which was under a year old) was on the fritz. I checked the voltage with my obd II reader and sure enough I was only putting out 10 volts, read 11 at the battery while running and then 12 when it was shut off. I figured that there was just a bad voltage regulator in the alt and swapped it out with another rebuild as it was under warranty. This fixed the flickering light problem.

Fast forward to the other day and the brake and battery warning lights came on with no flickering. I double checked voltage output again and it was north of 12 volts. I then realized that if I engage and disengage the parking brake both lights go off.

Anyone have any ideas about this? I do have two additional grounds added, but not the full "kit."

Ok, I stalled the car out last night when I pulled into my driveway and wouldn't restart. Acted like a dead battery. It fired up about five minutes later and ran normally. This morning it started up and I drive it a few blocks to see it's symptoms. On that drive it ran normally before the tach stopped working followed immediately by the speedometer followed immediately by the radio. I took the battery in and it tested fine but with little charge. After charging, I went ahead and pulled the wire that goes to the parking brake switch before re installing the battery. It started up no problem but the battery and parking brake warning lights were flickering. How the hell should I start to diagnose this?

Ok, move along, nothing to see here folks. Some moron didn't tighten the wiring nut on the top of the alternator down when he hurriedly changed it in the 12 degree weather last week.

After reading the last sentence of your original post, this was my first thought was to check the positive pole on the alternator then to check and clean your body grounds.

Archived