LegacyGT.com

Any New Rumors about Tuned by STI at SEMA?

jikhead

SEMA is a few weeks away, and was wondering if there are any new rumors swirling about a Legacy Tuned by STI. Although I'm really hoping for this, I can't see why they would announce such a car so close to the release of the WRX STI. My loyalty is really starting to sway to a Mercedes C300 Sport or Infinit G35 Sport.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope!

STi only in hatch.

I don't see them doing an STi sedan when the hatch is the one they are going to use for WRC so don't hold your breath.

why would they? from the info i've heard (from the dealership and PNW SOA reps) only the STI hatch. will be badged as a 2009 model year car, so no 2008 model.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Just said that cuz people have hopes of seeing an WRX STi Sedan.

I hope that STi brings more STi stuff for the Leggy as the powerplants of the new WRX is the same.

yeah the STI Sedan (on the impreza platform) isn't going to hapen, but on the Legacy..... believe!

My thoughts exactly, and I told SOA that. They haven't responded yet.

My current GT, at Stage II with Cobb Accessport is already in the 300hp range (probably a little less), so they'll have to beat that to make it a worthwhile upgrade for me.

I'm gettin' impatient!

They actually said that they would love to bring the Legacy lineup that type of car but not sure the "market" is ready for it.

I would venture a guess after that email they sent out w/ the questionaire on what type of car you would like, a majority of the people said "LegacySTI" in the choices.

That said though, he also mentioned that they were going to announce something later this year on the Legacy platform of which leads me to believe that it will be the tuned by STI upgrade which will actually be better than the Spec B.

We'll have to see though.

Guest heightsgtltd
They actually said that they would love to bring the Legacy lineup that type of car but not sure the "market" is ready for it.

I would venture a guess after that email they sent out w/ the questionaire on what type of car you would like, a majority of the people said "LegacySTI" in the choices.

That said though, he also mentioned that they were going to announce something later this year on the Legacy platform of which leads me to believe that it will be the tuned by STI upgrade which will actually be better than the Spec B.

We'll have to see though.

It raises an interesting question. Aren't the SpecB and Tuned by STi competing for the same customers?

From a business standpoint, one needs to offer something appreciably better or of more value for them to both be able to survive.

Its not like the SpecB flies out of the showroom at this point anyway

It raises an interesting question. Aren't the SpecB and Tuned by STi competing for the same customers?

From a business standpoint, one needs to offer something appreciably better or of more value for them to both be able to survive.

In other markets, the LSTI is an option package on top of the Spec.B.

For the American market, my recommendation would be to offer them side by side, with the Spec.B aimed at the grand touring crowd, with sunroof, NAV, and auto tranny, while the STI could go without those, have the 6MT and be more edgy.

The auto models in Japan have 260hp, while the manuals have 280. I think that would be a perfect differentiation between the Spec.B and STI (though I would suggest 275 & 300).

True. Unfortunately the Spec B (whether they poo-poo me saying this or not) is a niche market in Subaru. The Spec B is not the norm, the GT is.

Now a Tuned by STI GT in an Auto will sell cars and it will NOT be a niche market as it will most likely be a baseline "Option" package for the GT. I'm not so certain that Subaru would sell a different "sku" model than the GT as is the norm.

Now that raises an interesting question though. Does the Tuned by STI come in a 5EAT and a 6MT borrowing again from the STI parts bin to keep both sides happy? I think so.

Your baseline GT Limited now is about $28k sticker. A GT Limited w/ Tuned by STI package that would most likely include :

- Pink F&R sways

- Pink Springs

- Strut Bar

- Cat-back Exhaust

- BBS or similar aftermarket rims w/ low profile summer tires (or maybe optional all-seasons but I doubt that)

- lip spoiler w/ 3rd brake light (DOT approved)

- whatever else

So take on another $4,500 bucks (just guessing) and you're looking @ $32,500. Now that said, that's around territory for a Spec B. The argument is going to be if a Tuned by STI 6MT (if they make one) is going to be better than the Spec B.

That topic is going to cause some interesting flame wars if the car is produced. :lol:

I still think that the spec b should be at the ~28k price point with full colors and options, interior and transmission choices, the GT 5MT moved down to the 26k price point, 5EAT optional cost; and a "special" like STI tuned, at $32k. 34k was too high for the Spec B, especially with such a limited configuration. Spec B should be a suspension, wheel, and bodykit upgrade on top of the full interior trim available on other models. The 'Special' should be something rarer, with tangible advantage, like higher horsepower, or DCCD AWD, or something.

If they really wanted to push it, they could also do a 3.0R spec B just above the 3.0R, as well. with the same equipment as the GT spec b, black interior option, and 6-speed manual trans, leaving the 5EAT for the regular 3.0R, which is 5EAT-only. Basically the same as what I just proposed for the GT Spec B, but with the 3.0 flat-6 engine, instead of the turbo flat-4.

And for pete's sake, a body kit for the Spec Bs. Something to say "this one is sportier than the base model." Why should the Spec B or the 'special' look just like the base 2.5i, with a bit bigger wheels? Since when does the AMG, //M, -V, or any other sport designation model look just like the entry-level model of the same line? When has the WRX STI ever looked exactly like the base impreza? With a set of wheels, and a GT slotted hood, a silver 2.5i could look just like a silver 2.5GT Spec B. ignore the hood, and it would look just like a fully loaded 3.0R. $10-12k in options should look like something when you walk up to the car, more than a set of rims.

Hell, Volvo even offers a custom-build option list for the new C30, which is under $30k; and Subaru can't offer color and model choices? The new Honda Fit in japan, just as an anecdotal example, has something like 13-15 color choices. ON AN ECONOBOX!!!! Somehow the margins are too narrow for Subaru to offer some colors and options on the Legacy?

If Subaru does a USDM STI-tuned Legacy, I will probably drool over it a bit, but I can't imagine what they could possibly do to make me want to nearly triple my debt from my current stage II '05 GT 5mt Limited (in RED...) to step up to the same car with a couple of additional bells and whistles, likely limited color choices, and a high price tag, for the same chassis car. I will probably be out of debt on this car within the next 6-12 months, I hope. I've only had it a year so far. I love the car more than I have any previous car I've owned or even driven for more than half a second. But what are they doing to warrant my hard earned dollars? They've been cutting options for the last three years, and haven't added much since '05, besides a folding rear seat in the sedan, and and aux-input, and a 6-speed, as long as you agree to the other non-negotiable conditions for the Spec B.

For those who are looking for a new car, and have the money in hand, I hope they make it an out-of-the-park home run. I can't say I am holding my breath, though. Maybe I'll buy another used one when the one I have gets totally worn out. (in a LONG time from now.) I just can't imagine what they can possibly do to make me want to shell out to trade up.

I would say that they shouldn't worry about making me want to trade up, but they also don't seem to want to convert people to Subaru, from other brands, either. They would also have to put a pretty big rabbit out of their hat to pull people away from the new G8, The new G35, or even the new Accord and Camry V6s which have more rated horsepower than the turbocharged GT, or the 3.0R. That is, if they know that the Legacy even exists.

If subaru isn't stepping up enough to convert current shoppers, and they have a hard time getting people like me, who love their current subarus, to consider joining the market to trade up, then who are they thinking will buy? I hope someone will.

Subaru does need to elevate their game, in the way they do their business and support their own products. The core competency in the product is there, but the details and the decisions are bone-headed, and have been for a while now.

pretty much agree. My car is at the point where it's getting paid off and i'm keeping it for years to come. I personally could care less if the Tuned by STI comes, my car is pretty much better than that already.

For the most part it's new buyers that they want to attract and they will if they offer it as an option IMO.

Archived