LegacyGT.com

Chipped my paint

http://imgur.com/a/4Ndz9bo

I hit my garbage tote while pulling out of my driveway. Paint has always seemed to chip or scratch easy on this car. What's an easy and cheap DIY way of preventing this from rusting?

Does anyone else think the car has cheaper paint than others or are they all like this? Never had an issue on other cars. One time I rested my pick up's door on my Legacy's door and it scratched the crap out of it. I even set the door as soft as can be as I knew I was doing it.

Edited by computersoc

http://imgur.com/a/4Ndz9bo

I hit my garbage tote while pulling out of my driveway. Paint has always seemed to chip or scratch easy on this car. What's an easy and cheap DIY way of preventing this from rusting?

Does anyone else think the car has cheaper paint than others or are they all like this? Never had an issue on other cars. One time I rested my pick up's door on my Legacy's door and it scratched the crap out of it. I even set the door as soft as can be as I knew I was doing it.

I have always known Subarus to have soft paint that is very scratchable... just looking at it too strongly could scratch it.:) The body panels are pretty thin as well.

What part of the car is it? Might be easier to get a salvage yard body panel and just replace it.

I have always known Subarus to have soft paint that is very scratchable... just looking at it too strongly could scratch it.:) The body panels are pretty thin as well.

What part of the car is it? Might be easier to get a salvage yard body panel and just replace it.

Ya, I don't think touch up paint will look all too good to say the least :eek:

I agree about the paint durability. I had a lot of scratches and a shallow but long vertical dent (acquired as an anonymous gift in the Dick’s parking lot) on my RDS door and had to have body work and a re-spray in order to save the pinstripes the PO had on the car (not a huge fan but they’ve grown on me and I didn’t feel like peeling them off both sides). But city parking has left quite a few scars on her.

Drivers side Front fender, right? You can always replace the entire fender or just put touch up paint on it to hide as best as possible.

Agreed, looks like it would be easier to find a paint matched fender from a salvage yard and install, but I'm not a fan of painting anything on a vehicle.

The only way I can see this getting fixed is by wet sanding it down to smooth it out, painting over the spot and clear coating it, wet sanding again and then finish with a polish. Most likely will have to take it to a shop to do that

Has that car ever been repainted? That looks like a repaint that cracked after it got hit!

You can't wet sand that. It has to be completely sanded down, bondo needs to be applied. Smooth it out, prime it and then either blend the paint or repaint the whole fender. On that color a blend would probably work.

If you can get a salvage fender in that exact color (It varies form year to year even with the same color code) then maybe iy would be best to replace it.

Good luck.

---

subaru has never been known for their paint quality. even being taken care of, i have some clear coat peeling, a zillion chips, and some spiderwebbing all over my car...this is my 3rd subaru and none of them had good paint.

subaru has never been known for their paint quality. even being taken care of, i have some clear coat peeling, a zillion chips, and some spiderwebbing all over my car...this is my 3rd subaru and none of them had good paint.

Sounds like time for a wrap :).

car will be paid off in 1-4 months depending how antsy in my pantsy i get to get it paid off, so after that i'm weighing the options of repainting or getting it wrapped...i plan on keeping the car forever, so either way would be good, but paint is finicky and expensive for a decent job...wraps deteriorate and have to be redone...decisions decisions.

car will be paid off in 1-4 months depending how antsy in my pantsy i get to get it paid off, so after that i'm weighing the options of repainting or getting it wrapped...i plan on keeping the car forever, so either way would be good, but paint is finicky and expensive for a decent job...wraps deteriorate and have to be redone...decisions decisions.
And wrap needs a really smooth base to look good. All those imperfections will show right through.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

you're right FL, that's also a consideration, as well as my loving the ruby red color, leaning the paint way but my pocket book isn't going to be happy.
You could always replace the damaged panels and not worry about the colors. And wrap it that way. I was told our wrap was warrantied for 1 year, but with good care would realistically last anywhere from 3 to 5 years. We use a UV protectant a few times a month and otherwise just keep it clean. And vinyl is chemical and fade resistant, so a damaged panel isnt an issue and neither are bugs on the front end, with a little soaking they nearly wash right off the front bumper.

kinda hard to replace the C pillar:lol: ...falling tree limb took a nice little bite out of that. but yeah, as i've been doing more research in to wrapping, for the amount of bodywork that would need to be done to get a nice finish, it's probably going to end up being just as much as a paint job. there's a bunch of PDR that needs to be done, failing clear coat that needs to be feathered out...just a bunch of stuff. the car's got 160k miles and lived a good portion of its live in a city, so all the chips and dings and scratches that come with that have taken its toll. after being taken off daily driver status and living a nice restful life on a quiet suburban street in the city, i'm thinking painting's going to be the way to go. *definitely* going with some paint protection film if I do end up biting the bullet on that...like...next year...

kinda hard to replace the C pillar[emoji38] ...falling tree limb took a nice little bite out of that. but yeah, as i've been doing more research in to wrapping, for the amount of bodywork that would need to be done to get a nice finish, it's probably going to end up being just as much as a paint job. there's a bunch of PDR that needs to be done, failing clear coat that needs to be feathered out...just a bunch of stuff. the car's got 160k miles and lived a good portion of its live in a city, so all the chips and dings and scratches that come with that have taken its toll. after being taken off daily driver status and living a nice restful life on a quiet suburban street in the city, i'm thinking painting's going to be the way to go. *definitely* going with some paint protection film if I do end up biting the bullet on that...like...next year...
Honestly I wouldn't put that much money into that car. For the price you could find a good 5th gen gt without so many body issues. I would be hard pressed to justify wrapping mine and it's only got a few dings here and there. Nothing structural, at most I would need a front bumper cover and hood from bugs and rocks. Still though, the cost of either wrapping or paint is nearly the trade value of the car I'm sure.

financially and logically you're not wrong, but that also means i shouldn't have done the head gaskets, the full suspension refresh i'm piecing together, or any of the mods i have done or plan on doing. not to get in to a whole story, but this is the first car i've owned that wasn't a junker, wasn't a beater, after the better part of 4 years i'm still in love with this car as much as i was on day one, and don't plan on letting it get away from me. emotion trumps logic sometimes...

financially and logically you're not wrong, but that also means i shouldn't have done the head gaskets, the full suspension refresh i'm piecing together, or any of the mods i have done or plan on doing. not to get in to a whole story, but this is the first car i've owned that wasn't a junker, wasn't a beater, after the better part of 4 years i'm still in love with this car as much as i was on day one, and don't plan on letting it get away from me. emotion trumps logic sometimes...
All those parts will easily go into another car...food for thought.