LegacyGT.com

Sebastian's Build

I was a little hesitant about posting my 5th-gen among the other amazing builds but I finally got the courage to do so. I had this car since 2015 and I absolutely love it. It's a great daily driver, fast, and reliable. It's probably not as rewarding to drive as a WRX, but I must say it is pretty close in my book.

Well, here it is, my:

2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited in beautiful Steel Silver Metallic

qbRYIyG.jpg

ZZKv0yb.jpg

Z839Ixu.jpg

Engine Modifications:

- Afe Takeda Stage-2 Cold Air Intake System

- XRT Engine Tune, 5EAT Tune, and Torque Management Patch (Probably one of the best things I have done to this car and it really brought the car to life. Thank you Ed from XRT)

Exhaust

- 2015 WRX Quad Tip Axle-back (daily & quiet with a bit of grunt)

- INVIDIA N1 Catback (loud)

Braking

- Brembo STi front calipers powder-coated yellow

- DBA 4000 Series Front Slotted Rotors

- Wagner OEx Ceramic Pads

- OEM Rear Rotors

- Custco Master Cylinder Brace

- Goodridge Stainless Steel Lines

Suspension

- Koni Front and Rear Inserts

- Racecomp Engineering Black Springs

- OEM 26mm Front Sway Bar

- CKE 26mm Front Sway Bar Bushings

- Kartboy 12mm Front Endlinks

- Mevotech Control Arms

- Mevotech High-Performance Ball Joints

Exterior

- V-Limited Front Splitter

- Grillcraft Grill with Custom Mounted Emblem

- Black Plasti-dipped Chrome Grille Trim

- Hella Sharp Tone Horns

- Rally Armour UR Mudflaps

- 3M Wrap Around Exhaust Outlet

- Rear Diffuser

Lighting

- Anzo Black U-Bar Headlights

- GTR Lighting Ultra 2.0

- Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights with yellow Lamin-X

- OLM LED License Plate Lights

- OEM Puddle Lights

Interior

- Garmin Dash Cam 45

- LED Interior Lighting

- Custom Leather Stitched Steering Wheel

- SI-Drive Controller (plan to change suspension dampening in the future with this switch)

Wheels and Tires

- Konig Inception 17" Wheels (summer)

- 225/50R17 Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

- Steelies 17" Wheels Painted Gold (winter)

- 235/45/R17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS80

I have so much more planned for this car from brakes to exterior mods to new proper summer tires. I am also planning on learning track driving later this year.

I am going to post more photos and history of this car in the posts below, so stay tuned.

Edited by ssulb

May 9th, 2015. She is sitting on the lot at Glassman Subaru. I was initially looking at older WRXs and Outback Wagons but when I saw this reasonably priced H6, I ran to look at it.

It was sitting more toward the back of the lot and seemed like it wasn't driven for weeks. I guess there was no interest in this particular model. I got the keys from the salesman and noticed it had remote start (BONUS!). The key fobs turned out to have dead batteries, she needed a jump, and the rotors had a ton of rust on them. I first checked the oil, looked under the car for any obvious leaks, and fired her up. I feel in love with the car during the test drive, the engine revved silky smooth and the power was insane for me at the time. I immediately disregarded any of the other cars I looked at and had my heart set on this one. I haggled down the price a little bit more (since it seemed like the car was not getting any attention at all), and brought her home the next day. I remember it was raining on that day and when I got inside the car, I noticed a shining light under the side skirt. I looked under and to my surprise, I saw puddle lights. I cannot describe how happy and thankful I was driving out of the dealership.

Juyqt95.jpg

7on85O0.jpg

Bo2FsLV.jpg

Since I was still in high school during the time of purchase I did not go crazy with modifications at the time. I did the usual brake service, new pads and rotors. I changed all the fluids except the brake fluid.

Edited by ssulb

Here are some exhaust clips with timestamps in the video descriptions:

N1 Invidia Catback - lots of drone (you can even see the camera vibrate) but sounds very very good along with some burbles

Nameless 5" Mufflers - more muted but they still drone a lot

2015 WRX OEM Axleback - sounds close to stock but with a little bit of grunt and tone (no drone at all)

working on the video

Edited by ssulb

gotta be honest, digging the steelies and the wrap on the rear end. steelies give it a down to earth look with the high end mods, and the rear end looks much more aggressive with the wrap. keep up the good work, interested to see more

Nice mods so far, like the others really digging the gold steelies also! Reminds me of a rallycar with the mudflaps and snow background.

How did you fit the WRX quad tips in there? Looks like you widened the bumper openings a bit?

How are you planing on adjusting the Koni’s with the SI controller? I was thinking of having a friend program a raspberry pi to control stepper motors kinda like Cusco does with theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you planing on adjusting the Koni’s with the SI controller? I was thinking of having a friend program a raspberry pi to control stepper motors kinda like Cusco does with theirs.

I've actually been working on this same idea for a few months. My main hold-ups are satisfying both the torque and space constraints at the same time. Other systems like Tein's EDFC and Cusco's require much less torque than the Koni's to adjust which ruins the retrofit idea. I have a setup that should work, I just need to figure out mounting.

Also interested in any plans you have for this...

I've actually been working on this same idea for a few months. My main hold-ups are satisfying both the torque and space constraints at the same time. Other systems like Tein's EDFC and Cusco's require much less torque than the Koni's to adjust which ruins the retrofit idea. I have a setup that should work, I just need to figure out mounting.

Not to take over someone's build thread, but I was thinking of using stepper motors like in my 3D printer (but NEMA rated like the Cusco ones). The front mounts I think would be easy enough using the 3 strut mount bolts for a stepper motor bracket. For the rear, I have not checked it out yet to see what room there is to work with.

Not to take over someone's build thread, but I was thinking of using stepper motors like in my 3D printer (but NEMA rated like the Cusco ones). The front mounts I think would be easy enough using the 3 strut mount bolts for a stepper motor bracket. For the rear, I have not checked it out yet to see what room there is to work with.

The rear would be easy, there is room over the strut and behind the "carpet". There are also two nuts holding the strut top in.

Nice mods so far, like the others really digging the gold steelies also! Reminds me of a rallycar with the mudflaps and snow background.

How did you fit the WRX quad tips in there? Looks like you widened the bumper openings a bit?

The WRX axle-back actually bolt right up to the stock mid-pipe. The exhaust is a little strained and it is not ideally loose on rubber hangers. In the future, I plan to bend or redo the exhaust hangers on WRX axle-back to eliminate the strain and fit them nicely.

Yes, I did widen the bumper openings a bit. I just used a Dremel and sanded the edges smooth. Then I used the 3M Black Vinyl Wrap to try to mask the poorly cut holes a bit. It's by far not perfect but looks okay. Some pictures below:

c3aMIEN.jpg

WryI0Z6.jpg

lQQxj3G.jpg

what car are the steel wheels from?

are they available in 18s?

they look cool

I don't know the brand or model of the steel wheels but I got them from a guy off Craigslist. He had them on a 2015 WRX. If it helps in any way, they are dual bolt pattern wheels.

fv8Qdpg.jpg

QQGS869.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly how I was going to do it but maybe with an Aurdino.

I looked into it a lot but I couldn't find a strong and small enough motor for the task. Maybe if you attach some sort of gearbox to the motor, that may work. I agree, the Koni's actually requires a bit of torque to get the dampening adjustments to turn. I already mocked up a bracket that goes on top of the strut. I put that project on the back burner for now though.

Edited by ssulb

The WRX axle-back actually bolt right up to the stock mid-pipe. The exhaust is a little strained and it is not ideally loose on rubber hangers. In the future, I plan to bend or redo the exhaust hangers on WRX axle-back to eliminate the strain and fit them nicely.

Yes, I did widen the bumper openings a bit. I just used a Dremel and sanded the edges smooth. Then I used the 3M Black Vinyl Wrap to try to mask the poorly cut holes a bit. It's by far not perfect but looks okay. Some pictures below:

c3aMIEN.jpg

WryI0Z6.jpg

lQQxj3G.jpg

Thanks for the pics and details!

The wrap is doing its job, adds character to the rear end too.

c3aMIEN.jpg

WryI0Z6.jpg

lQQxj3G.jpg

Thanks for this.

I randomly checked letgo last night and a guy posted a pair the day before for $90CDN

I bought them off him today for $80 lol

Can't wait to get them on...they sound and look so much better.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

67ba32ffcb4678f1f96ba0e384461dbf.jpg

Edited by kingsebastian

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this.

I randomly checked letgo last night and a guy posted a pair the day before for $90CDN

I bought them off him today for $80 lol

Can't wait to get them on...they sound and look so much better.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

67ba32ffcb4678f1f96ba0e384461dbf.jpg

Congrats, that's a pretty good deal. I personally really enjoy the sound of them. Not too loud and not too quiet.

Car looks great! Can't believe how good the 17s look, Konigs or steelies Thought for sure they would be 18s. Like the direction you're going with it. Keep it up!

Thank you very much.

• 1 month later...

Finally installed one of the biggest and most exciting modifications for my car, Brembo front calipers. I am absolutely in love and beyond happy.

I paired them with DBA 4000 rotors and Wagner OEx ceramic pads.

I still need to install stainless steel brake lines and swap the calipers left to right and right to left because they were assembled incorrectly. I realized this only when I was installing the brake lines and the metal holder was pointed toward the bottom. I realized the plug and bleeder screw was flipped. They were a pain to bleed but I eventually got them working and they feel great.

20OGv0c.jpg

BFDoHK7.jpg

8GwpCX1.jpg

mLrnYVF.jpg