LegacyGT.com

Rusted Rear Brake Lines - Subaru won't honor their recall?

This just happened to me.

Is there a DIY on how to fix this?

Just read through the last pages of this thread, lots of info and pictures.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Gotdayum, I finally finished putting my massive video together. I took the aggressive approach and replaced the brake line assemblies, partially because it was a great opportunity to do a serious rust restoration. Hope this helps at least somebody!

Edited by tominator19
updated video link

I wonder what kind of wax Subaru is applying to these brake lines. I'd recommend anyone going through the trouble of dropping the tank to look at the tank too. My car hasn't seen as much salt as others but the tank is leaking at the seams already.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

I wonder what kind of wax Subaru is applying to these brake lines. I'd recommend anyone going through the trouble of dropping the tank to look at the tank too. My car hasn't seen as much salt as others but the tank is leaking at the seams already.

You may be talking about me...after Subaru replaced all the brake lines, a few month's later I had the fuel tank leaking. Replaced the tank and fill tube. Well my buddies Body Shop did the work. I just paid the bill. LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Nox-Rust® 712AM, msds is on page 14

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2013/RCRIT-13V110-9345.pdf

Update on my situation. Subaru has agreed to replace both rear brake lines free of charge.

The car is '05 LGT manual with 244000km currently on it.

It is with them right now. We will see how this goes.

I am worried about them having to drop the tank.

Update on my situation. Subaru has agreed to replace both rear brake lines free of charge.

The car is '05 LGT manual with 244000km currently on it.

It is with them right now. We will see how this goes.

I am worried about them having to drop the tank.

You may want to call them and have them look at other items in that area that should be replaced while things are apart. Just remember to replace the fuel tank and filler neck, involves dropping the rear suspension.

"I'd recommend anyone going through the trouble of dropping the tank to look at the tank too. My car hasn't seen as much salt as others but the tank is leaking at the seams already."

Same with mine. Had the "wax fix", 15k mi later the lines sprung a leak, dealer refused warranty fix, appealed to SOA, they also refused. So I paid my own mechanic to do it. 6 months later, leaking gas tank from a rusted seam up top. Serious bummer. Sold it for the cost of the brake repair :(

• 4 months later...

My 08' LGT with 125k miles brake line just failed at the rear clip like previous posts pictures. Saw the brake light come on while driving, I tapped the brakes lightly and checked if ebrake was up a few times and the light went away for a bit before it finally stayed on while driving. I thought maybe it was a sensor since light taps and braking seemed fine. I guess when I was tapping and testing the brakes over and over, I was just pumping all the fluid out of the back and could barely stop when I actually had to use the brakes to come to a complete stop.

I had both brake recalls done by the dealer before. Once in 2013 @ ~89k miles and the other in 2014 @ ~97k miles. I didn't tow the car to the dealer, but called them up and they said it wont be covered and was told contact SOA customer service to see if there is anything they will do. Im going to file with complaint with NHTSA and call SOA Monday.

My 08' LGT with 125k miles brake line just failed at the rear clip like previous posts pictures. Saw the brake light come on while driving, I tapped the brakes lightly and checked if ebrake was up a few times and the light went away for a bit before it finally stayed on while driving. I thought maybe it was a sensor since light taps and braking seemed fine. I guess when I was tapping and testing the brakes over and over, I was just pumping all the fluid out of the back and could barely stop when I actually had to use the brakes to come to a complete stop.

I had both brake recalls done by the dealer before. Once in 2013 @ ~89k miles and the other in 2014 @ ~97k miles. I didn't tow the car to the dealer, but called them up and they said it wont be covered and was told contact SOA customer service to see if there is anything they will do. Im going to file with complaint with NHTSA and call SOA Monday.

Yeah the best I was able to get out of this situation was to constantly berate Subaru of America until they eventually they gave me a voucher thing for $500 worth of Subaru parts and/or service. Naturally, I spent it all on parts for the brake line replacement and restoration project that I ended up doing myself which was terrible. Here's the video walkthrough I made in case anybody else wants to see what the process is like:

SOA said the same as dealer, they wouldn't cover it because recall was completed. There was a 1yr/unlimited mileage warranty from the time of the recall completed that the agent told me. So I'm outside of the coverage window and nothing he can do. He documented the case, and I filed a complaint with NHTSA where I see other people complaining about the brake issue post recall as well, maybe if enough people file complaints another recall can happen. But for now I think i'll look through this thread to see if I can fix myself or tow the car to a 3rd party shop to get it fixed. Since the 1st brake recall my LGT has been a summer only car and averages ~5k miles a year. So I really think the corrosion was already started before the recall.

• 4 weeks later...

Dealership I believe is where the new tank comes from.

Ask Google.

I don't think these tanks have a drain plug.

Check your filler neck also, I replaced mine at the same time as the tank. It was in pretty bad shape.

I had a pipe failure 600 miles from home about 7 years ago. Had it repaired at a Midas muffler shop a Saturday morning for less than $400Can. Obviously it was not a replacement with OEM bits from front to back, but it did get me back on the road to home.

I thought car repairs were cheap in the US compared to Can. I get an alignment for $75Can before 15% of tax. $129US is ridiculous.

I'm glad I came across this post and now I know I'm not alone. I knew I had some rust issues but I found out just last week of how severe the problem is. The car was in for an evaluation for an engine rebuild due to an overheat condition which took out the head gasket(s). After we talked about the engine, the mechanic said "you really need to hear the whole story before you decided on the engine".

Starting in the front: radiator mount gone. Basically hanging from the hoses. 2 of the 3 heat shields need to be replaced. Rear brake line is leaking. Charcoal canister solenoid needed to be replaced but due to the condition of the fuel tank and hardware, he really couldn't put a price on it. Most concerning was the rear suspension mounts are severely corroded.

You see by my info that mine is an 07 and only has 80K on the clock. Too young to die this death. This was my 3rd Subi and most likely my last as the new Legacys do not come with a 5speed.

Anyone looking for a donor vehicle, watch the classifieds as I will be posting it there for sale shortly.

• 9 months later...
My brake lines just blew a couple days ago, called SoA and informed them. They need to have an authorized Subaru shop look at it before they can make a decision on whether they will cover it or not. Need to tow my car over to the local Subaru at some point this week. Ugh, pain in the butt

My brake lines just blew a couple days ago, called SoA and informed them. They need to have an authorized Subaru shop look at it before they can make a decision on whether they will cover it or not. Need to tow my car over to the local Subaru at some point this week. Ugh, pain in the butt

Somtimes, your car insurance may have some towing...?

Or like I say, having a AAA membership has benefits.