LegacyGT.com

Exhaust smell / Recall WUJ-95

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
I've searched the NHTSA and STIS web sites, and there is no reference to recall "WUJ-95." Is this perhaps Canada only?

Edit: I also searched the recall database on the Transport Canada web site, and there was no reference to a Subaru recall "WUJ-95."

Update: A search of the STIS web site today (4 Mar 2020) does show a Subaru recall/campaign notice WUJ-95R issued on February 12, but I don't have access to its contents. It still doesn't show up on the NHTSA web site, though.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I got the notice on Tuesday and have a dealer appointment to take care of it. It is on the Subaru recall page as "WUJ-95 CAL-Spec EPF Cracking (PZEV)", dated 11 February.

I got the notice on Tuesday and have a dealer appointment to take care of it....

Hmm - parts are available in Alaska, but apparently not in my neck of the woods.

I think they are delaying anything that's not obviously broke to take care of those that are. Also, the longer they delay, the less there will be a need to replace over time. And, frankly, I'm OK with it as long as the system has no leaks.

New member here, just wanted to say a big "THANK YOU!" to everyone here. Just bought my third Legacy (previous ones were a 1990 and a 2001) and noticed a slight exhaust smell in the cabin while sitting waiting to pick up kids from dance class after school. A google search led me to this forum and I was able to get it taken care of at the dealer where I bought it a few weeks ago. It's a 2016 Legacy Limited with 76k on the clock. Took it back to the dealer, showed them the images posted to this thread and asked them to check it out. They replaced the exhaust manifold part referenced earlier in the thread and didn't charge me a dime. They told me Subaru warrants the catalytic converter until 80k miles, so I just squeaked in.

They officially wrote it up as a "check engine" light problem for the catalytic converter and dropped in the new part, saving me $1795 plus labor. If you've got less than 80k on the clock, it's worth a follow up with your local dealer...

• 3 weeks later...
Just got the recall notice and had it done. Took about a hour and tech said my exhaust was not cracked but they replace it anyway. Recall notice of WUJ-95 is correct. Place was almost empty due to the Virus.

Update: A search of the STIS web site today (4 Mar 2020) does show a Subaru recall/campaign notice WUJ-95R issued on February 12, but I don't have access to its contents.

Update 2: See attachments for the recall announcement and technical bulletin. Note that this is a "voluntary" recall by Subaru; it's not a full NHTSA safety recall. The recall affects all 2.5-engined MY 2015-2016 Legacys and Outbacks, both PZEV and Federal emissions spec, manufactured prior to October 1, 2015; that would include all MY 2015 and early MY 2016 production. 3.6-engined variants are not included in this recall.

The recall is being implemented in phases, so some Federal-spec vehicles aren't scheduled to receive the fix until at least September, 2020. Presumably, cars that actually develop exhaust leaks will receive priority handling.

Recall_WUJ-95_Announcement_200221.pdf

Recall_WUJ-95_Exhaust_Manifold_pp_1-4.pdf

Recall_WUJ-95_Exhaust_Manifold_pp_5-9.pdf

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

... I wonder if MY2017 is included ...

Only if your MY 2017 is a 2.5 and was built prior to October, 2015. Hint: Read my previous post (#34) in this thread! The answer is there. Read the attachments for complete information.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

... does it show up as an available recall on the Subaru recall website ...

Yes. It also shows up on the MySubaru.com web site. Due to the phased nature of the recall, it may not show up until "your group" is scheduled to be notified ... which may be several months from now. That is explained in the attachments to my earlier post.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

My car was sold in May or June 2016 so not sure it makes the manufacturing cutoff anyways.

You can find the month/year of manufacture on the metal VIN plate permanently attached to the driver's side door jamb.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

My car has a production date of 9/2015 , so it would seem that it would fall within the recall parameters ( end date 9/30/15 ).

Checked on-line and nothing shows .

So I called Subaru and connected to the recall option . The girl there checked just like I did and since nothing showed for her , and she was not able to give me any more information .

She transferred me to customer service . There the girl took my serial number and said my car was not included in the recall . But she then said that ALL customers included in the recall had been notified . According to their own bulletin I don't think this is true . It appears that customers are only notified in stages . I tried to ask her about that , but she INSISTED that all customers had been notified .

Rather than argue with her I exited left . I suppose I will actually get a notification in Aug. or Sept. So potentially I could be driving around with an exhaust leak for another 6 months . I may have to get it on a friends rack and inspect the darn thing .

George

^^^ If you have an exhaust leak it's usually not hard to detect. You'll smell it inside the car if in a calm environment. Or just take a peak under the car when the car is just started and you may well be able to see it coming from underneath, especially with a little rev to the engine.

Getting this repaired in my 15 tomorrow. While I’m worried about losing my rattle-free status, I’m glad they’re replacing and not just inspecting.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

• 6 months later...
Does this recall require an inspection by the dealer prior to replacing the exhaust pipes, or are all of the vehicles in the recall repaired?

No inspection. All vehicles have the parts replaced if your number has been called.

Ha !

Got my recall notice today , even though Subaru customer relations told me weeks ago that my car wasn't under the recall . Obviously the staggered announcements left the right

hand not knowing what the left hand was doing .

FWIW , my car did seem to make a LOT of noise under hard acceleration last week .. ..

George

Wife just told me we got a letter from Subaru as well. Something about exhaust she said.

First question, do I have to take it in. My response, do you know what an exhaust leak can do?

Going in next week.

Wife just told me we got a letter from Subaru as well. Something about exhaust she said.

First question, do I have to take it in. My response, do you know what an exhaust leak can do?

Going in next week.

Yes take it in,while it is covered,having leak will affect mpg,performance,and you wanna be smelling that fumes,etc..