LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

I just realized the the subaruoutback.org's version of this thread is for lifted Outbacks. I feel dumb... I'm really new to this stuff

Finally got to replacing all of the suspension bits, super excited! Just got done rolling/cutting the fenders again the other day. Too bad the tires are so gouged out from riding it for 30 min without rolling, I can't tell if the rubbing has fully stopped or not.

Wish I had cut the tabs behind the fender lip before rolling. Even after cutting the tabs, I cant get them out since they're jammed in there now. Can't get a more aggressive roll without removing the lips, then removing some tabs... I'm not removing the lip, too scared to break the other tabs.

556908426_Subaru08Outback-1.thumb.jpg.c2421291a72936dfd457544fd16fa928.jpg

Here's a resource I found searching through the forums. It's an unofficial website:

Onto STi steering racks then, I'm expecting to pay an arm an a leg. Let's see.

Let me know how that goes. My steering rack is SHOT and I would like to install the 15' STI steering rack. I heard that you just need a longer u-joint like the Perrin Steering Lockdown Kit (PSP-SUS-565)

Too bad the tires are so gouged out from riding it for 30 min without rolling, I can't tell if the rubbing has fully stopped or not.

I'm guessing that this will work. I love blue painters tape:

Blue painters tape the outer tires with a few over lapping wraps. do some tight near lock turns. stop and look for cuts in the tape. the trick is to get the body lean, without ripping the tape off.

You can do a similar trick with any contrasting spray paint around the suspect area of the tires. g force related removal of the paint will look very different than gouging or rubbing.

go have fun.

Let me know how that goes. My steering rack is SHOT and I would like to install the 15' STI steering rack. I heard that you just need a longer u-joint like the Perrin Steering Lockdown Kit (PSP-SUS-565)

Underdog posted a great write-up for the LGT guys. However it is a little different for the OB owners. I'm not quite sure on the u-joints. I don't quite understand the compatibility of the STi solids vs ours. I think we keep the original OB u-joints, but again, not certain. I'm scared to cut my inner tie rods, and while it isn't completely necessary, the benefits of cutting them outweigh the cost of not cutting them. I'll be doing a little more reading. Hoping to purchase this joker by the end of the week. I have the Perrin Steering Lockdown Kit (PSP-SUS-565) already, so that's a plus.

Where'd you find those? I've been looking everywhere!

I refreshed this site: https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=E3610AG010 for a couple months. They only stock them in low quantities. Then one of the members finally posted that there were a few restocked, so I jumped on them! I think they stocked like 6 sets this last round.

I'm guessing that this will work. I love blue painters tape:

Blue painters tape the outer tires with a few over lapping wraps. do some tight near lock turns. stop and look for cuts in the tape. the trick is to get the body lean, without ripping the tape off.

You can do a similar trick with any contrasting spray paint around the suspect area of the tires. g force related removal of the paint will look very different than gouging or rubbing.

go have fun.

That is such an ingenious idea. I'll be taking that one with me for any future wheel/tires setups.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Welcome to the forums by the way ChrisJapan.

Hey, here is another really helpful resource from Rhitter for wheel/tire setups that rub:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rhitters-build-thread-248151p19.html

He was running an 18x9 with 255/40's all around. That is PHAT, for our cars. Needless to say he went into depth and mitigated most, if not, all of the rubbing. Check it out!

Side note: Boxita ran 275s on some 18x9 RPF1's. He holds the record for biggest tire I have seen on the BP chassis. Of course at that point he compromised a lot of suspension use.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

The rain guards came in from Dubai about a week ago, and the weather finally let up this week. So I decided to install these suckers!

One of the photos makes these look bulky, and I promise they are far from it. They are so sleek and that is the main reason I got them. I liked the look of the car plenty before, and I like it plenty now. I'm just excited to have the ability to crack the windows an inch or so while it rains up here.

*Please forgive the camera quality and the horrible angles*

IMG_2626-min.thumb.JPG.7c277aa5cd782c7ff40e17e7262b46f4.JPG

IMG_2627-min.thumb.JPG.eab8b45ef06355bd869851862a2460a2.JPG

IMG_2628-min.thumb.JPG.5725bc5f4bebb6a4e8fb9c8728541532.JPG

IMG_2653-min.thumb.JPG.24b66ee5a8e05567ce08c3697ba51b0e.JPG

IMG_2654-min.thumb.JPG.fc26a0187d6ab41b54014a3c626f865f.JPG

IMG_2655-min.thumb.JPG.1745031cdf17033b3a1e745134dcc63d.JPG

MILKRUN  - Click Here

I refreshed this site: https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=E3610AG010 for a couple months. They only stock them in low quantities. Then one of the members finally posted that there were a few restocked, so I jumped on them! I think they stocked like 6 sets this last round.

Thanks For the link. Ill bookmark it as one of my visor got ripped off by strong winds (it was barely hanging in the first place since it was cracked on half of the length).

Underdog posted a great write-up for the LGT guys. However it is a little different for the OB owners. I'm not quite sure on the u-joints. I don't quite understand the compatibility of the STi solids vs ours. I think we keep the original OB u-joints, but again, not certain. I'm scared to cut my inner tie rods, and while it isn't completely necessary, the benefits of cutting them outweigh the cost of not cutting them. I'll be doing a little more reading. Hoping to purchase this joker by the end of the week. I have the Perrin Steering Lockdown Kit (PSP-SUS-565) already, so that's a plus.

That's what I did. Installed the STI steering rack, kept my u-joint with the Perrin steering lockdown. Dealing with VDC eventually got the better of me and I pulled out the STI rack and it's currently sitting on my garage floor (and has been for months).

08+ have VDC. VDC is annoying and doesn't like the STI steering rack. If you turn off traction control (button by your left knee) it raises the limit for when VDC kicks in. Dragging brakes through decreasing radius turns gets it to kick in 100% of the time though + other random moments. Unplugging the steering angle sensor from the steering wheel should disable it. But, I never personally verified.

Welcome to the forums by the way ChrisJapan.

Hey, here is another really helpful resource from Rhitter for wheel/tire setups that rub:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rhitters-build-thread-248151p19.html

He was running an 18x9 with 255/40's all around. That is PHAT, for our cars. Needless to say he went into depth and mitigated most, if not, all of the rubbing. Check it out!

I was never able to mitigate the rear rub on hard compression because 255/18 is just too big for our wheel well. In general it was gone. But I would still occasionally get inner/outer rub in the rear. Different alignments may have solved this. I solved it by putting in longer springs / raising the rear of the car.

Edited by Rhitter

Hey guys... Been a min.

Well a few weeks back returned to stock for Smog check.

So now decide if I'll put that DP on that has been sitting for a couple years and re tune.

Funny part is the car started running a bit better.

But I may for sure put the AOS back on since the intermittent smoke on startup is back.

Well see.

Anyhow had to weld the mount point for the belly pan after pushing a rock I missed while driving on the fire roads in the summer. Took a min and lots of spot welds.

New tires on my daughter and I hit the little dragon hw49. Nice road. Went out 132 to Coulterville and drove to Bear Valley then reversed direction... I enjoyed northbound more.

I definitely followed Rhitters post but failed to Cut the tabs before rolling :(

I used to leave out in Beale AFB, beautiful roads out there.

Best road I’ve driven in my life was just south of Middletown CA. I rented a 2018 Mustang ($35/day from SFO). I was shaking from the adrenaline. e7b5c75bd07cd2d71eabcfaca46591a9.jpg

e694bcd0fddc3284cbaac93a17e7bae6.jpg

31d971c9fc7372406a5ec763562aa1ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

after a year my OBXT is drive-able again (mostly). After replacing the rear seal and putting the engine back in I had a horrible groaning sound from the pass side... turned out to be a bad CV. Replaced the axle and passenger side was quiet but had the same groan but a lot quieter from the drivers side.... Checked it out and the boot was spewing grease. Tossed on a cheap local axle and its 90% quieter.. Still groans a bit from time to time. :spin: Its amazing how those impacted the acceleration when they were bad.

Also now that she drives farther, I tossed a P0171, so back under the hood I go!

I forgot how well this car handled compared to my TDI wagon even with just LGT Struts and HR Springs..

I also forgot how uncomfortable those seats are! .

after a year my OBXT is drive-able again (mostly). After replacing the rear seal and putting the engine back in I had a horrible groaning sound from the pass side... turned out to be a bad CV. Replaced the axle and passenger side was quiet but had the same groan but a lot quieter from the drivers side.... Checked it out and the boot was spewing grease. Tossed on a cheap local axle and its 90% quieter.. Still groans a bit from time to time. :spin: Its amazing how those impacted the acceleration when they were bad.

Also now that she drives farther, I tossed a P0171, so back under the hood I go!

I forgot how well this car handled compared to my TDI wagon even with just LGT Struts and HR Springs..

I also forgot how uncomfortable those seats are! .

I cleaned my MAF and my P0171 flew away, never to return. Funny thing is I cleaned it a couple times before. I guess I just didn't hit it hard enough the first couple times.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

That's what I did. Installed the STI steering rack, kept my u-joint with the Perrin steering lockdown. Dealing with VDC eventually got the better of me and I pulled out the STI rack and it's currently sitting on my garage floor (and has been for months).

Fortunately, I don't have VDC. Another concern of mine was the crossmember. Did the LGT/OBXT's have a different crossmember than the 2.5i's? I'd imagine the 3.0R was completely different, but that's not even my concern.

I just want to know if there is such thing as a turbo crossmember vs an N/A crossmember? I've searched with no luck.

Lastly, did you end up cutting your inner tie rods?

MILKRUN  - Click Here

08+ have VDC. VDC is annoying and doesn't like the STI steering rack. If you turn off traction control (button by your left knee) it raises the limit for when VDC kicks in. Dragging brakes through decreasing radius turns gets it to kick in 100% of the time though + other random moments. Unplugging the steering angle sensor from the steering wheel should disable it. But, I never personally verified.

I was never able to mitigate the rear rub on hard compression because 255/18 is just too big for our wheel well. In general it was gone. But I would still occasionally get inner/outer rub in the rear. Different alignments may have solved this. I solved it by putting in longer springs / raising the rear of the car.

Want to sell the rack? Kidding...kind of.

Just made ramps for my car to keep it level using scraps from my wood shop. Used the left over wood for wheel chocks. This is to help keep it level while doing alignments.

The street in front of my house in Brooklyn had a 3.5” slope to the driver side, then a stockpile of dog shit (I hate working under the car with wiffs of shit breezing in). To make matters worse, on a couple of occasions I’ve accidentally crawled on poop and cockroaches. Didn’t notice until my roommates told me!

To help set camber, I’ve cut a piece of angle iron to the length of the diameter of my rims and attached a magnetic angle finder that I use to true my table saw blade.

I will be doing the string method to align. It seems to be accurate enough, this guy on YT did and took to an alignment shop and he was spot on.

Next step, wait for a sunny day and start aligning!dc37bdc065d57924a788369f4d059be3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just dropped our 10% off E-tune Tax season special. Prices are live on the website at cryotuneperformance.com

Looking forward to working with you!

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.