LegacyGT.com

Chattanooga area tinkerer to tuner

So there I was . . . waiting on a phone call to go trade my F150 4x4 even up for an 05 Turbo Baja (spun bearing). While I'm waiting I sell my focus to cover the rebuild $.

Dude died. So. I find a spec B.

Done deal.

Sold out from under me.

Find another.

Sold the night before.

I finally broke down and asked God why.

He gave me an 05 LGT Ltd

Ready?

ej257 block

B25 heads

(It was in the middle of a half-hearted ej20x swap)

Denso 2450 850cc injectors

AVO FMIC

AVO 420 ball bearing turbo

Perrin equal length headers

Invidia catless up and catted down pipe

Borla exhaust

Cobb Accessport

Cobb sway bars

STi strut braces

Cusco oil catch can

Cusco coilovers

Perrin crank pulley

Racing Brake big brake kit w/2 piece rotors

Snow Ind. Optional meth injection

Cusco front and rear subframe bracing

JDM front bumper

What else?

If anyone wants to point and laugh while I work I would appreciate another set of eyes. I'm three days in and having too much fun for one man!

Pics to follow . . . as soon as I figure this whole typing thing out I'm shifting my focus walking and chewing gum at the same time!

@ampmcv

All that came on it. So far the only parts I've bought have been gaskets. I'm pulling the pistons today. I spent all day making the pin puller tool yesterday. I broke 2 tools and have 1 pin out. I'm going to try something different today. :) On a positive note I found a cosworth oil pump and h-beam rods in it!
@ampmcv

• 3 weeks later...
Nice!
This is morrisco's old car. He hasn't posted since 2016 and I'm the 3rd owner since he sold it. If you go look at his albums you can see what it's supposed to look like. He sold it to a young man from FLA who sold it to another young man and now it belongs to an old man :)

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

@ampmcv

idk, when I pulled the turbo the wastegate was locked tight. I think they were running it with no meth. The tank is dry and looks to have leaked at some point. (Silicone and corrosion)

I think he drove it hard with about 20+ lbs of boost and a locked wastegate. I almost couldn't get it unstuck.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

@ampmcv

• 3 weeks later...

Ah-Ite. So if ya don't don't know. I sent the Cosworth crank to ATL Precision Machinery. I took the block to Race Engine design in Rossville Ga. Crank was turned for 197 and change. If it needed welding it would have been 75 more. Not ONE shop in Chattanooga TN has a rock small enough to grind a Subaru crank. 7/8 is the smallest they can. It's suprising.

They aren't ANY tuners here. I'm going to sink into the Oblivion That Is ROMRaider. (I know how to find it because UTC_pyro sent a link ;)

I've learned so much I've almost drilled a hole in my head to release the pressure. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to ask every shop on town if they have a bore gauge and they reply, " . . ."

So. There is an amazing man in Nashville I will call "Brent the Subaru Guru". His name is Brent Roberts and he's got a shop just south of town. If you need a good, honest, local mechanic, he's your dude.

Also, every Subaru "builder" in town seems under 25 and gets their short blocks in the mail. Maybe it's just me but if you send everything off and order everything assembled . . . that's not "building an engine".

Pray for me. I've had too much coffee.

@ampmcv

• 1 month later...

So, R.E.D. can't do a Subaru block. I'm back to the drawing board.

I'm going to get a short block to put in. I'll learn to tune with that while I build a beefier short block. I think I found one in Nashville. I'll know Mon.

It looks like I'm sending my stuff a long ways away unless someone has a suggestion on a shop close to Chatt.

also . . .

I've done a bit of research on the AVO 420. It's a GT2871R core with AVO's intake and exh. I can rebuild it for around $170 in parts. There's not much play but the wheel is a little dinged up. Any suggestions on leave it/fix it?

Cobb AP V2 shows 424hp 449tq. if I remember correctly. Anyone around here who wants to swing by the shop is more than welcome.

@ampmcv

User name Joe@Skye on here says he's half owner of a shop down there.

Skye Performance.

I've not used his shop, but maybe it's worth looking into. Maybe they know a good machine shop closer to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I went and picked up my blocks. When the dude rolled out the dolly he set the deck on the pavement. Probably ruined.

N. E. Way. I'm tired of arguing with people. Who cares? I'm ordering bearings! If my crank is ground .010 on the mains and .020 on the rods, do I get .05 mains and .025 rods or vice versa?

I was cautioned against using a ground crank but beggars can't be choosers. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

@ampmcv

• 1 year later...

I built the short block myself. Set the timing wrong and broke a valve off in the cylinder cranking the motor. I pulled it and cried. Tried to quit life but my wife propped up my fragile ego.

Put a 2010 STI block in and b25 heads. Turbo was leaking on the intake side. Pulled it and rebuilt it. I finally got her on the road and drove 3 hours to Pulzone Tuning. We did ONE amazingly fast and scary pull and the boost controller went out. Drove 3 hours home. Got a Grimmspeed bc and an AEM wideband gauge. Installed them and drove 3 hours back to the tuner. On the way my #4 injector took a dump on me. [emoji23] Drove home and did a topfeed conversion and parallel fuel lines. I've torn the dash out and she's on jackstands waiting on me to upload a tune. I took the turbo hood off and the trunk spoiler. I've paid for and possess the files to tune but I'm so insecure these days I'm going on vacation.

I'll post pics and update when I get home with a tan. 2d48ec64264e223fcc035e19d3544d3f.jpgf89c7a8812e1fa60dde886a8c615de79.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

@ampmcv