LegacyGT.com

Biggest tire on stock setup? 2014 2.5i

I ran 225/50r18 for a spell on stock GT wheels (18x7.5)

I did read somewhere that 235/50r18 on stock wheels will contact the suspension strut. I think the strut will be an issue before the wheel wells are.

Now I have 245/45r18 on 18x8 wheels. I do wonder sometimes if 245/50 would fit but I haven't tried it.

Wow 225 50 18 is pretty big.

When I was looking into getting 19" wheels I saw many people have used 235 40 19 with the right offset wheels. That comes out to 26.4" diameter, about 1" bigger than 215 50 17.

225 50 18 is 26.85" in diameter.

Im running 235/50/18 with spacers (HR springs too) on oem wheels for 2 1/2 years now. I rolled the fenders slightly, but over bumps at enough speed and they’ll make contact. They’ve also rubbed through the fender liners and make contact with complete lock to lock steering. I loved the look, but not worth it IMO. You’ll be fine with stock springs and spacers.

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p330/ibr_adam09/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3263.jpg

more sidewall? you mean more distance between wheel & road? or more section width (distance between sidewalls) or more treadwidth (distance between edges of contact patch)?

if more sidewall, you want the 2nd number to be bigger while holding the other 2 constant or make them smaller.

Yes, more sidewall. I'm looking for a more compliant ride on rougher roads.

I was just hoping somebody would chime in saying 225/50 17's would work for example, which would give .5" more total sidewall. 215/55 17 is almost a full 1 inch more sidewall, so might hit the strut for example.

I was just hoping somebody would chime in saying 225/50 17's would work for example, which would give .5" more total sidewall.

225/50-17's should work since that's the stock size for the same model year 3.6R, which have the same 17x7.5 wheels. with an OD of 25.9", they have plenty of clearance, so a slightly taller 26.4" OD [such as a 235/50-17] should physically fit just fine. nevertheless, this may throw off your speedometer, but that might not necessarily be a bad thing since subaru speedometers tend to read high.

might not necessarily be a bad thing since subaru speedometers tend to read high.

I'd check that with a gps before letting a LEO tell you. :spin:

More sidewall doesn't really help on bad roads. If your suspension is tired or you're driving fast on bad roads, more sidewall is just more sidewall.

willtheyfit.com let's you compare tires/wheel sizes side by side, so you see what might fit. Also, Subaru's are designed for a specific tire diameter. Changing that affects more than your speedometer.

I went to a dealer a couple weeks ago I ask what size tire could work on my 13 limited as it was bottoming out in my driveway. They told me that I could go for something like 225/60/17 or 225/65/17 and they set up an appointment with Goodyear they test the tire and they told that the dealer wanted just my money because the size would break the car on the road.

I have a 225/50/18 and that just about fills the wheel well, I wouldn't recommend going bigger than that overall. So plug that into willtheyfit.com and the diameter is 26.85" it looks like a 225/55/17 is almost spot on there. Just make sure it doesn't contact your strut since I am running a spacer, but I think it will be fine. You should specify you want a soft compliant ride when choosing tires.

I went to a dealer a couple weeks ago I ask what size tire could work on my 13 limited as it was bottoming out in my driveway. They told me that I could go for something like 225/60/17 or 225/65/17 and they set up an appointment with Goodyear they test the tire and they told that the dealer wanted just my money because the size would break the car on the road.

The smaller of those tires is 2" taller than factory 2.5i 215/50-17 tires, I would imagine that tire is going to be hitting the inner fender liners on bumps (especially the 225/65-17). I would go with 225/55-17 which is a little more than 1.25" taller than stock and should fit without clearance issue.

The smaller of those tires is 2" taller than factory 2.5i 215/50-17 tires, I would imagine that tire is going to be hitting the inner fender liners on bumps (especially the 225/65-17). I would go with 225/55-17 which is a little more than 1.25" taller than stock and should fit without clearance issue.

To be clear, while the diameter is 1.25" more than factory, that only brings it 0.75" closer tot he strut and the fender liner. You can verify that it'll clear the strut by sticking your thumb between your existing tire and the strut, if it fits and your thumb is at least 0.75" wide, you're good.

I highly recommend willtheyfit.com It's a good resource.

FWIW I ran my 225/50r18 tire on stock wheels with stock suspension for the life of the tires (~40k miles?) for part of it I had added 1" wheel spacers on all four wheels. I drove off road plenty and never once had them contact the fender liner.

I'm rinning the Koni/Eibach for a one inch drop, I'm using the old 1" spacers that Sarang had on his Gt and a 225/50/18 on stock wheels. I have hit the liner on the front driver's side over a bridge transition at too high of a rate of speed and hit the liner, but under normal driving conditions it's mostly fine. I did scrape a little with 4 adults in the car over an aggressive bump, but that's unusual too.

I'm going to be in the market for new tires and possibly wheels as soon as I can get it to start holding all of its fluids on its own...

• 2 weeks later...

I’m running all stock suspension with 15mm adaptors. My tires have not had a problem at 225/50/17. My wheels are only 17x7.5 et 38 with no issues.

I did run these same wheels and tires without an adaptor and still had zero issues. I just like the look of the wider tracked out wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk