LegacyGT.com

Banjo Bolt Removal on 07 Spec B

I was planning to do an official introduction of myself with my specB, but maintenance work started right the way after I drove a thousand miles home from Denver, CO. I wanted to remove the Banjo Bolts to confirm there will be no filters in there. After tons of research and started taking things apart, I was able to do the front AVCS bolts which verified there are no filters in there. Then I started looking into the one that goes into the turbo. Finally realized my 07 Spec B's banjo bolt location is underneath the turbo inlet (thanks for another owner showing the picture). TO remove the turbo inlet, I followed another writeup which have steps showing how to install turbo inlet. The removal process is a pain. The long pliers don't work but the hose clam picks work wonder at a couple tight spaces. I ended up remove the inlet with a PCV leak detection piece with with because I could remove it in there under the intake manifold. Hope this helps other 07+ owners since most of the post refer to 05/06 LGT which the bolt is located underneath the turbo instead of the turbo inlet pipe.

Luckily, my turbo inlet pipe is in a pretty good shape after 90k miles. No wear, no crack, no tear or rips. So I plan to reuse it, because I don't want to deal with the aftermarket inlet pipe.

1. Now with many cuts on my fingers, I hope to install everything back smoothly. Any one has any tips?

2. I see a very minor oil build up at the Tee breather hose, but the rest of hoses, pcv, turbo inlet are all pretty clean and dry. I also see very minor oil build up signs at the outlet of the intercooler. Should I be concerned about it to install AOS?

21457451_10154976202151342_1366300035664859445_o.thumb.jpg.807b831a9613ecdda196bc5011b76e18.jpg

...I see a very minor oil build up at the Tee breather hose, but the rest of hoses, pcv, turbo inlet are all pretty clean and dry. I also see very minor oil build up signs at the outlet of the intercooler. Should I be concerned about it to install AOS?...
A small amount of oil is normal. You don't need an AOS, it might make sense for a race car engine that stays on boost at high RPM most of the time. Take the money you would spend on an AOS and put it towards something that actually improves your car's performance or reliability. Don't give in to B.S. marketing and fads.

I was planning to do an official introduction of myself with my specB, but maintenance work started right the way after I drove a thousand miles home from Denver, CO. I wanted to remove the Banjo Bolts to confirm there will be no filters in there. After tons of research and started taking things apart, I was able to do the front AVCS bolts which verified there are no filters in there. Then I started looking into the one that goes into the turbo. Finally realized my 07 Spec B's banjo bolt location is underneath the turbo inlet (thanks for another owner showing the picture). TO remove the turbo inlet, I followed another writeup which have steps showing how to install turbo inlet. The removal process is a pain. The long pliers don't work but the hose clam picks work wonder at a couple tight spaces. I ended up remove the inlet with a PCV leak detection piece with with because I could remove it in there under the intake manifold. Hope this helps other 07+ owners since most of the post refer to 05/06 LGT which the bolt is located underneath the turbo instead of the turbo inlet pipe.

Luckily, my turbo inlet pipe is in a pretty good shape after 90k miles. No wear, no crack, no tear or rips. So I plan to reuse it, because I don't want to deal with the aftermarket inlet pipe.

1. Now with many cuts on my fingers, I hope to install everything back smoothly. Any one has any tips?

2. I see a very minor oil build up at the Tee breather hose, but the rest of hoses, pcv, turbo inlet are all pretty clean and dry. I also see very minor oil build up signs at the outlet of the intercooler. Should I be concerned about it to install AOS?

So is there a filter in the 2007 banjo bolt?

When I opened, mine doesn't have the filter in it. I believe the previous owner removed it.

This particular one under the turbo inlet is a pain to get to. Routine checking is not possible. I open it to see if it is clogged assuming filter is still in there since I just got the car. I do oil change every 3k miles regardless I have filter or not. And I am replacing the oil pick up tube as preventative maintenance. Plus, I baby my spec B which won't abuse or having bad tuning.

P.S. My OEM oil pick up tube is in great shape, no crack, no metals in the tube whatsoever. At 90k miles, I feel more comfortable knowing the engine is not on the way out due to rod bearing, clogged filter etc. Cross finger for the next 100k miles. :)

When I opened, mine doesn't have the filter in it. I believe the previous owner removed it.

This particular one under the turbo inlet is a pain to get to. Routine checking is not possible. I open it to see if it is clogged assuming filter is still in there since I just got the car. I do oil change every 3k miles regardless I have filter or not. And I am replacing the oil pick up tube as preventative maintenance. Plus, I baby my spec B which won't abuse or having bad tuning.

P.S. My OEM oil pick up tube is in great shape, no crack, no metals in the tube whatsoever. At 90k miles, I feel more comfortable knowing the engine is not on the way out due to rod bearing, clogged filter etc. Cross finger for the next 100k miles. :)

Best thing you can do is get the car off the factory tune if you still have low miles.

What year car is your's ?

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/ you'll want the service manual.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Leave the filter in, it's there to protect your turbo bearings.

Check it, clean it if necessary and replace it.

UM....No....Remove ALL of them completely and throw them as far away as you can. That stupid design ruins engines. I've already been through this numerous times on many threads.

I have read about tuning on these cars. Factory tune is not great, but aftermarket tune could be bad if it hasn't done right. I am just going to be easy on the engine for now until I found my updated parts. But the TB/WP work is coming up soon and I might check valve clearance at the same time. I worked on my NA EJ engine before. The turbo EJ engine is so much harder to work on.

Where do you live ? there a couple of tuners that we can recommend. Notice I said a couple of tuners, yea there's only two.

West coast we send you to Dave at www.cryotuneperformance.com east is www.tuningalliance.com

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Sure, take it out.

Drive without a seat belt too, consequences will be similar.

Negligence ruins engines not the design.

UM....No....Remove ALL of them completely and throw them as far away as you can. That stupid design ruins engines. I've already been through this numerous times on many threads.

I also agree, remove them if your in there. I still have both in my 09 Spec B, but removed both in my 05 wagon over 91,000 miles ago.

Any decent oil filter will keep you safe.

Archived