LegacyGT.com

Upgrading a first generation Legacy.

Dear all,

thank you for accepting me in this Subaru Legacy forum!

I'm pretty new in here,I actually just bought a 1991 Legacy sedan.

It is a very rare car for the Greek market,the official distributor here never imported the 4wheel drive edition,you can find only the 1.6 front wheel drive models.

This one is a non turbo 1.8 all wheel drive in a very good condition indeed,the ex owner had imported the car from Belgium in 1991.

I would like to upgrade this car in a 2.0 turbo,so my question is how similar is the 1991 Legacy with an Impreza,or a Forester?..

I made this thought to find one of those cars and transfer the whole stuff,(mechanic and electric to the Legacy.

Is there anyone in the forum who did something like that so he could give details?

Thank you in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps this is the wrong subforum... go to the 1st generation specific subforum?

But swapping the engine is going to be no problem id imagine as long as you swap the ECU withit... Id imagine the trans will bolt up. but if it doesnt and if you have to change the trans, change the differential with it as well as anything else that goes along with that(Rear Axles, DS, etc)

its all the same bolt patterns and engine mount points though for the most part...

If youre taking everything from one and putting it in the Legacy, it should all just fit with no problem.

The Impreza frame is just a shorter Legacy frame, exact same otherwise, and Forester frame is just an impreza frame, so the same as legacy just shorter.

Perhaps this is the wrong subforum... go to the 1st generation specific subforum?

But swapping the engine is going to be no problem id imagine as long as you swap the ECU withit... Id imagine the trans will bolt up. but if it doesnt and if you have to change the trans, change the differential with it as well as anything else that goes along with that(Rear Axles, DS, etc)

its all the same bolt patterns and engine mount points though for the most part...

If youre taking everything from one and putting it in the Legacy, it should all just fit with no problem.

The Impreza frame is just a shorter Legacy frame, exact same otherwise, and Forester frame is just an impreza frame, so the same as legacy just shorter.

Dear Jadu108!

Thank you very much for responding to my post!

Yes,you're right I'm in the wrong sub forum,but I realised it after I posted and I have no idea how to transfer the thread to the right sub forum :mad:

...but after all your details are very helpful!:)

So thank you again!!!:cool: