LegacyGT.com

Outback: Lowering on Legacy suspension and wheels?

For all the OB and OBXT owners out there lowered and on smaller wheels. It looks like the final drive is lower for the Outback vs. the Legacy. Is it possible to run Legacy size tires and rims on an Outback? Will the speedo be way off and the RPMs on the highway run too high?

Correct. The gearing is different because tire size is different. If you're running Outback sized tires, you'd want Outback gearing, and vice versa, to keep your speedo reading correctly. Other than the speedo reading differently, there's nothing wrong with mismatching those things. Just make sure you can fit the tires in the fenders, if you're going taller.

Bolt pattern is the same and the tire sidewall is shorter on the Legacy. I believe the OEM size for Outback is 215/55/17 while it’s 215/45/17 for the Legacy, or at least for the GT. With the wider fender on the Outback, you’d want an offset closer to the +40 range rather than the +55 offset on the Legacy unless you want super tucked wheels. Any modification to tire size that affects the circumference of the tire will affect speedometer accuracy. I noticed the difference when I bought my car with 215/55/17s on it that were taken off an Outback.

OEM size for an outback is 225/55/17. The outback's don't have wider fenders. They have visually wider fenders that actually have less space than a Legacy (Metal fender mounting points just into the tire). Anything in the +40 range with Outback sized tires on lowered car will have a decent chance of rub somewhere.

OEM size for an outback is 225/55/17. The outback's don't have wider fenders. They have visually wider fenders that actually have less space than a Legacy (Metal fender mounting points just into the tire). Anything in the +40 range with Outback sized tires on lowered car will have a decent chance of rub somewhere.

What a bizarre way to engineer fender flares. Good to know.