LegacyGT.com

96,000 Km (60k miles) maintenance $5000?

2010 Legacy 3.6r Canada

Took my car for service and Subaru said I gotta do this and the bill came out to $5k? What do you guys think? Anyone do this service how much did it cost you?

Spark plugs is over $1000 they said they have to lift the motor???

Scheduled maintenance for 96,000 km / 72 Months

Replace engine oil and filter

Inspect and adjust all fluid levels including both differentials

Rotate tires and inspect for wear. Perform wheel alignment if necessary (additional charge)

Adjust all tire pressures including spare tire

Service and lubricate front and rear brakes *

Inspect brake pads and linings

Inspect axle boot condition

Inspect operation of all lights, wipers and washers

Inspect and adjust drive belt tension if necessary

Lubricate all latches, hinges and locks (hood, doors, fuel door and trunk lid)

Test engine coolant for strength (-35°C) and inspect hoses and clamps

Inspect air filter and replace if necessary

Inspect cabin air filter and replace if necessary

Replace spark plugs

Service fuel injection system (Terra Clean)

Replace transmission fluid (Automatic, Manual and CVT)

Perform AT bleeding

Perform AT learning on 4AT, 5AT and CVT

Replace front differential oil on AT and CVT

Replace rear differential oil

Replace spark plugs on all models

Road test vehicle

If that's the literal line item breakdown of what they're charging you for, more than a few things are redundant: "Replace spark plugs" & "Replace spark plugs on all models", "Inspect and adjust all fluid levels including both diffs" and then listing replacing the AT fluid, front diff fluid, and rear diff fluid on separate line items, I have no idea what "AT learning" is, but it's definitely not something the dealership ever did or mentioned when they replaced my AT fluid. Spark plugs on the 3.6R is a pretty labor intensive service, but $1000 seems excessive, even in $CAD. My dealership charged me around $600 USD for it, and lifting the engine is not necessary unless they're not that familiar with the 3.6.

Truthfully, it's a pretty good comprehensive list even though some of it is fluff, but it seems tailored to someone who has ABSOLUTELY no idea what they're doing with a car other than driving it, and has no intention of learning. A lot of this stuff could be easily handled on your own to save labor time/cost. Tire pressure is the easiest thing in the world to check and adjust with a $1 pressure gauge from any auto parts store, as well as rotating tires if you have access to a jack and jack stands. If you know anything about brakes, lubing them is not difficult and worth learning on your own. Spark plugs I'd leave to the dealership just cause they are a pain in the arse on the 3.6. Oil changes and general fluid changes are pretty straight forward as well. Things like lubricating all the hinges and charging you for it seems like utter fluff. Pick up a can of silicone lube and just squirt each hinge yourself. The overall price for this seems pretty steep for this, but it is a pretty comprehensive service list to be fair.

If that's the literal line item breakdown of what they're charging you for, more than a few things are redundant: "Replace spark plugs" & "Replace spark plugs on all models", "Inspect and adjust all fluid levels including both diffs" and then listing replacing the AT fluid, front diff fluid, and rear diff fluid on separate line items, I have no idea what "AT learning" is, but it's definitely not something the dealership ever did or mentioned when they replaced my AT fluid. Spark plugs on the 3.6R is a pretty labor intensive service, but $1000 seems excessive, even in $CAD. My dealership charged me around $600 USD for it, and lifting the engine is not necessary unless they're not that familiar with the 3.6.

Truthfully, it's a pretty good comprehensive list even though some of it is fluff, but it seems tailored to someone who has ABSOLUTELY no idea what they're doing with a car other than driving it, and has no intention of learning. A lot of this stuff could be easily handled on your own to save labor time/cost. Tire pressure is the easiest thing in the world to check and adjust with a $1 pressure gauge from any auto parts store, as well as rotating tires if you have access to a jack and jack stands. If you know anything about brakes, lubing them is not difficult and worth learning on your own. Spark plugs I'd leave to the dealership just cause they are a pain in the arse on the 3.6. Oil changes and general fluid changes are pretty straight forward as well. Things like lubricating all the hinges and charging you for it seems like utter fluff. Pick up a can of silicone lube and just squirt each hinge yourself. The overall price for this seems pretty steep for this, but it is a pretty comprehensive service list to be fair.

They gave me a breakdown. I cheated by copying and pasting from their website. They just gave me the generic 96k maintenance package.

I'd *like* to do the fluid changes myself... but...

13% tax where I live...

Is a shortblock on that list? TLDR

and the kitchen sink....

Perform AT learning :lol:

in other news, stealership is a stealership

I gotta pay them to drive my car?! heh

AT learning is when they hook up the ssm and clear the learned driving parameters (the way you drive) and reset them to factory. Sometimes it helps clear up funny shifting issues. After a fluid change I would probably want that done. But that list is stuff most dealers do during a normal service I don't see $5k worth of stuff on there.

While that list is an accurate recommendation of preventative maintenance to be performed, the price is insane...

I just experienced something similar at my local dealership last month.

They are a new dealer, and currently offering a super low price on oil changes, to drum up business. While I normally change my own oil, their price is cheaper than doing it myself!

The previous visit in fall 2019 also had them do the state inspection, front and rear diff, CVT oil change.

So I walk into the service dept and ask for the oil change special. The "service advisor" lady clicks away on her computer, and says "while she is putting my info in the computer, to please look at their service recommendation sheet based on the mileage of my vehicle (104,000 miles).

I believe it closely matched your 60K mile service interval sheet.

I asked "do you still offer the complementary multi-point inspection with every service, no charge?"

She said "oh yes, of course"

I asked her to produce a blank copy, and asked to borrow her pen.

I then cross-referenced all of the things in the FREE multi-point inspection, with the things on the $1500+ "recommended maintenance" sheet...

That eliminated about 60%

The lady went silent while she was thinking of what to say....

Lady: "Well, we still recommend that you do front & rear diff, CVT oil change, cabin and engine air filters."

Me: "How can you recommend this when I just paid your dealership to do the front and rear diff & CVT less than 6 months ago?"

Lady: "um...well...I didn't look in our system to see what work we have already performed"

Me: "How can you "recommend" or "advise" on ANY preventative maintenance work to my car, without looking at any service history and/or asking me what was done?"

Lady: "So just the engine oil change today, sir?"

Me: "yes, please. Oh, and the free multi-point inspection, too" :)

This is 100% a true and accurate story from just a few weeks ago.

It is unfortunately what gives dealerships a bad reputation, but it's real and a fact of life.

2010 Legacy 3.6r Canada

Took my car for service and Subaru said I gotta do this and the bill came out to $5k? What do you guys think? Anyone do this service how much did it cost you?

Spark plugs is over $1000 they said they have to lift the motor???

Replace engine oil and filter

Rotate tires

Inspect air filter (replace)

Inspect cabin air filter (replace)

Replace transmission fluid

Replace front differential oil

Replace rear differential oil

Replace spark plugs

I would do the above plus what ever free inspections they are offering, which I would think is closer to $600-700 at most $1000CDN. You still have a low mileage Legacy, it shouldn't need a ton of work. The service manual for my 2012, says the 3.6R does not list lifting the motor to do plugs.

Skip this Service fuel injection system (Terra Clean) it is just a money adder.

I don't know what Perform AT bleeding is. Inspect and adjust drive belt tension if necessary, I don't know how you adjust drive belt tension when it has an automatic tensioner. Test engine coolant for strength (-35°C), the factory coolant is good for 135k miles. At your mileage, its probably not that far off from needing brake pads, just wait for them to wear out before spending money to lubricate the brake pins. Lube jobs seem to be this dealers specialty.

I would not go back to this dealer base on that quote. I really can not even figure how all that would cost $2000CDN let alone $5000CDN. I would find another dealer or independent dealer to service your car.

Our most convenient Subaru dealer is also the worse one in the KC area. The only thing I will use them for now is warranty or recall work. Even at that, they don't do a good job. They are like 5 min from where my wife works and the others are a good 20-30 min out of the way.

Don't go to the dealership for service.

I have had similar experiences. When I installed new struts, springs, and my 1" spacer lift, I took my car in to the dealer for an alignment. The service adviser told me that my struts were worn and needed to be replaced. That it would affect stopping distances and really needed to be done that day. I told him that he must not mean my car, and he said that he did. Then I told him that he must not have even looked because the struts and springs are the only clean parts on the car, clearly brand new. Then he claimed that it was based on mileage.

It's not even funny or anything, it's just tiresome. Like when the salesmen comes up and tries to tell you that a brand new car is an investment or cheaper than your current car. I had one try to sell me a new Crosstrek when I visited recently. I literally drove up in my 2020 Crosstrek with ~3500 miles, but he can get me a good price on a 2019.

Just avoid dealerships.

The 3.6 engine absolutely does not need to be lifted to replace the plugs. Battery and intake need to come out, but those are easy. My indie mechanic charges me $200 to do plugs. Timmy B did a fantastic write up on how to do them if you're feeling adventurous.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Not worth $5K. Wayyyyyy too overpriced.

$3,741.20 in US dollar. Still overprice. You don't need to drop the motor on the H6. For 60k service should not cost no more then $1100 usd (dealer) with parts and labor. Not sure how Canada price works up there.

Benefits of getting a quote before you hand over the keys. :rolleyes:

Get all your paperwork in order then call Subaru and diplomatically take it up with them.

MUCH of that service is complementary fluff. Just my .02

I'll just put this here for reference. https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/60k-service-dealership-vs-stealership.517301/

Edited by DugsSin

$5k is a complete ripoff for those service! Stay the hell away from that dealership. All that stuff on a BMW or Mercedes doesn't even cost half of that. You could do it in a weekend by yourself for $300 in fluids and a few spark plugs.