LegacyGT.com

Intermittent coolant leak

2 nights ago I was at a red light and noticed steam coming out my hood scoop. I immediately pulled over and investigated. Coolant was leaking from somewhere on the passenger side cylinder bank. I called a friend and flat towed it to a buddy’s house for the night. Today I picked it up and limped it home. Before I left I topped off the coolant and make a mark where it was filled to. Short shifted at around 2k the whole way home. Temps never got hot and the car ran fine. I pulled in my driveway and to my surprise the coolant levels remained unchanged and there was no coolant leak like the night before. Car has had new headgaskets and water pump 800 miles ago so I can’t imagine either one of those things went bad. I’m taking it in in the morning for a pressure test. I’m assuming it’s a dry rotted line somewhere but why would it be intermittent?

You certain it was coolant? The first time my passenger side valve cover gasket leaked oil onto my up-pipe and sent smoke out the hood scoop, 10 years ago, I didn't know the smell of burning oil and briefly thought it might be coolant.

If it is coolant, check the little hose between the turbo and the upper reservoir, then everything else related to that reservoir.

Check the coolant hoses going to the oil cooler, they would be in that vicinity, and it sits right above your exhaust manifold, causing the alarming steam. Had the same issue but on the driver's side, it was the waterpump bypass hoses that time around...

You certain it was coolant? The first time my passenger side valve cover gasket leaked oil onto my up-pipe and sent smoke out the hood scoop, 10 years ago, I didn't know the smell of burning oil and briefly thought it might be coolant.

If it is coolant, check the little hose between the turbo and the upper reservoir, then everything else related to that reservoir.

I’m certain... highlighter green coolant is pretty easy to spot

If you still have the spring clamps on the reservoir and turbo hoses, replace them with good clamps. I had that smell for the longest time several years ago, and found that one of the clamps was allowing the slightest seeping.

Archived