LegacyGT.com

Ruined turbo inlet replacement for an '08 GT

I have searched for hours now and can't seem to find good information about the actual fitment of the different brands to my '08. There are obviously plenty for the '05-'06. I have read a few small posting on it but nothing of any detail. I know 100 members are going to post about only doing it with a larger turbo or doing a lot of turbo swaps and no power will be had from it and it sucks to do and I should just buy an OEM inlet.

The problem I have is that the OEM one is fairly poor. The main reason I am looking into this is that I have to check the banjo bolt for the turbo which is under the inlet. My inlet is trashed so I need to replace it anyway. Since the job is going to suck as I'm not about to try and take IM off I don't want to have to do this again or at least not as soon as an OEM would have me do. Also, I'm sure when my turbo dies I'll get a bigger one so it would be nice for that as well.

Does anyone with an '08-'09 have any tips and tricks for the different ones out there? I'm not doing a hard pipe as I don't dare try getting the IM off, I have no issues wrestling with a pipe for a long while. Samco is too much although I would venture a guess that it's the best since Samco usually is the best in silicon. Since I'm poor I was thinking of the usual suspects, AVO and Perrin. I have heard about more issues with the other brands so I narrowed it down to these two. Let me know if I might be missing a good one that I'm not aware of besides the other usual companies such as Grimmspeed, APS, etc.

I'm never going to be running 10 BAR of boost or anything, I just want something rock solid. No Stage 8+ upgrades for 1,200hp. Seriously though, I'm not going to be doing this car up like I did my B5 S4 unfortunately, house and child devour my extra cash now. Some BPUs and flash as well as a few subtle aesthetic changes.

PM Underdog and ask him for a turbo intake for your 2008.

Contact Rey or Mike at www.AZPinstalls.com

Both of those will only sell you what you need and will work for your car.

That's your first lesson here.

Here's the second, but it sounds like you may already have this, http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the info. I've been modding imports since 1996 but I've never owned a Subaru before so this is all new to me. I picked up a BtSsm BT unit and downloaded the software to my Note 3. Then, I started by getting the OCVs cleaned and then the driver's side replaced since the BtSsm logs showed it to be lazy and now the logs look proper again. I did download the SRM at that location but thank you for providing it. The other thing I did was mount RCAs in the armrest storage compartment and wired them into the AUX for audio and the Nav display for BtSsm so it shows up there as my gauges. The Nav hacks were pretty easy. I soldered everything so it's good to go. The TB was done as soon as I bought the car at 108k and I had the stealership check the banjo behind the cover and it was clean. This made me want to look into the oil feed side because of the log screen debate, I just want to make sure it's clean. Any other tips you can share? I look around but mostly hear about ring landing and turbo issues.

Turbo inlet install isn't that bad, its frustrating but not horrible. I just had to re-do my avo the other day and trim it some more. I ended up uninstalling it and reinstalling it about 5-6 times in test fit scenarios and just failed attempts at lining up the hose clamp on the inlet. I am not pleased with the avo at all. I had a samco on my wrx and liked that much more.

If you are going to pay someone to do it I'd say go with the hard inlet then.

sbw, thank you for the details, that's exactly the type of information I was hoping to receive by posting the information and question. I laughed at the stealership when they said it would be 7 hrs of labor to remove the IM, not paying. For that price I would rather learn to do it myself. My first notion was the hard pipe but I have read about fitment issues where people had to trim the TGV housing at certain points so they aren't great fitting either. I really wish the OEM unit wasn't such rubbish or I would be fine to install one again but it is nice to have the interior be smooth instead of the accordion. With what I'm doing it won't really matter, I'm just looking for a reliable part and hard tubing done properly is it. Too bad Subaru let the janitor hope in late a night and design the turbo/intake setup or else this would be cake like on all of the other cars I've modified.

Got your PM but responding here for public visibility. The Perrin inlet is the most popular one I sell and my preferred silicon inlet for most applications. No real "gotchas" other than needing to be patient reinstalling the BPV return hose and a small modification to the PCV vent hose, as detailed in the instructions included with the inlet.

I went with an OEM turbo inlet when I put the ej257 short block in the car. I also learned the easy way to install the turbo is to bolt it to the up pipe, the studs are a PITA, the bolts make very easy to line up the inlet, oil return hose and up pipe all at the same time.

Read my click here link you'll learn some things.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Underdog, thank you for the information, it really helps.

Max, yeah, I could imagine using the UP as a stick to move the turbo around to hook up everything and then play the game of tightening everything a bit at time until everything is taught. It would be cool to push the inlet from the turbo side out instead of the other way around. Who knows, maybe some day I'll get the nerve and time to pull the IM and maybe do some deletes. It just depends on the unforeseen future!

Archived