LegacyGT.com

Android Auto any better than Carplay?

I am seriously considering switching to Android after Apple has failed to produce quality software in the past few years (and it seems to be getting worse). I was wondering if Android Auto on my 2018 Legacy would perform any better than CarPlay currently does. Current CarPlay issues include audio dropouts, failing to connect randomly. The CarPlay icon showing up on the Home screen, but tapping it results in no response, and certain apps just don't work that work fine on my wife's Pioneer HU.

Anyway, if anyone has any feedback, I'd appreciate it.

It’s the radio in that car not the Apple CarPlay. My 2020 CarPlay radio works 98% flawlessly with a few little glitches.

I'll take that to mean that Android Auto isn't any better with the 2018 Head Unit than CarPlay is.

TheStraightPipes on Youtube have done a couple of good comparison videos between CP and AA.

yeah, I've seen those, although I don't think they used the terrible HK head units in the 2018-2019 Legacy for their testing.

Your issue isn’t with the stereo, not with CarPlay. I have an aftermarket stereo and CarPlay works perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, the question I am trying to get answered is whether switching to Android results in an improvement.

I sell phones for a living and I do get the question asked about connectivity issues with android auto and CarPlay. It seems as updates come out for your phone android or Apple there can be incompatibilities with the software requiring more updates. In general I prob see more people complaining about androids then Apple. I’ve tried the car play w my iPhone and it worked ok on my car w iOS 13.1 I think it was a bit ago. I suppose I could try my OnePlus7pro with it to see how it is. I’m not a big fan of Any of em I find controlling the phone through the head unit is just slower then I like compared to just using your phone. Another argument would be how quick Apple is to updating there products compared to android with lots of manufactures for there devices. The only exception would be the Pixel, OnePlus which gets the updates right away being a true droid experience without bloatware.

—————————————————

HPS intake, SSD Front Strut bar, Cusco Rear Strut Bar, Voxx 18” rims,

More to come...

I have a friend with a 2018 GTI who loves Android Auto and swears it is flawless. He has a Samsung S10+ IIRC. Yesterday, no matter what I did, I could not get my iPhone 11 Pro to connect to the HK(aka Samsung) head unit in 2018 Legacy. No CarPlay, no BT, nothing. I rebooted the HU and my iPhone multiple times, tried my backup lightning cable. This morning, it worked fine aside from the usual audio drops until halfway through my 20 minute commute and then only BT would work.

I'd wish Subaru has to replace all the faulty units with an all new design that actually works, but I am a jaded Gen X realist who knows the world doesn't work that way.

I have a friend with a 2018 GTI who loves Android Auto and swears it is flawless. He has a Samsung S10+ IIRC. Yesterday, no matter what I did, I could not get my iPhone 11 Pro to connect to the HK(aka Samsung) head unit in 2018 Legacy. No CarPlay, no BT, nothing. I rebooted the HU and my iPhone multiple times, tried my backup lightning cable. This morning, it worked fine aside from the usual audio drops until halfway through my 20 minute commute and then only BT would work.

I'd wish Subaru has to replace all the faulty units with an all new design that actually works, but I am a jaded Gen X realist who knows the world doesn't work that way.

They replaced it with MY2020. I feel bad for 2018-2019 years.

---