LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

Do you still have the GT? For some reason I remember something happening to it.

No, unfortunately I crashed it two years ago, eventually I'll get back into another GT but had a kid 9 months ago and my money just vanishes nowadays

Is there a general thread on here for questions or feedback? I'm happy to move this.

Anyways, I just threw a P0420 with CEL, flashing brake light, and flashing cruise control on my stock 2013 2.5i. Lots of info on modded pipes and tunes, and obviously I know it's a below-efficiency cat warning. But I can't find much on what people have done for fixes on here. Just trying to see what worked for people other than throwing money at a dealer/exhaust shop. She only has 105k so I doubt it's the cat gone bad.

My first inkling is a bad O2 sensor or shoddy gas and I should seafoam flush and reset the brains. The last two fillups were Kroger so I doubt it's the gas. Also live in MI so emissions is just a meaningless word so looking into the rear spacer fix. Just hate to see the Christmas tree dash. If anyone else has done either of those and it's worked I'd love to hear your experience.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Replace the o2 sensor.

Yeah, if you don't have the equipment to do some data logging, start with the o2. if it comes back then you can work your way out to the cats, but it's probably the o2. if you had head gasket issues or anything like that it may end up being the cat, but it's likely the o2

Over the weekend I installed top hats. Thought it would fix this clunking noise from the driver side. I’m pulling my hairs out now. Last night I rechecked the torque on every bolt. The strut bolts, control arm bolts, ball joint, endlinks. It’s all tight af. I’m starting to think it might be something in the koni inserts or not suspension related at all. It’s an odd noise, very audible at low speeds on roads that appear smooth, but have little bumps/cracks. :spin:

Edit: it might be my damn engine cover

Edit again: it’s not lol

finally found the noise. I was able to isolate the sound by pushing the wheel while the car on the ground. Confirming The koni insert. One of the nubs wore away inside the strut. Bought some .41mm brass ribbon as a spacer. No more noise!

Also got my center caps on. There’s an eBay seller that’ll 3d print any custom center caps you want for around $20

evLZoSy.thumb.jpg.e91f459601697bac0c1fc3e300f2a8a0.jpg

PU12hrT.thumb.jpg.c509e60bdf87d8d831f371cd0bcec7d3.jpg

It had to be the most aggravating troubleshoot I had with a Subaru. You can see how much wore away compared to the other nub.

Just driving straight mostly. It’s was very noticeable at low speeds like at a crawl. The noise would go away under light brake pressure, so that threw me off. After doing top hats, I really thought it was a bad quality balljoint (generic brand with the control arms). I also hear how much pinch bolts can be an issue. So I put in new oem ones in (which I wanted to do anyway). Once the problem remained, I knew immediately it to be the insert.

Ive only known koni inserts to make that sound if it wasn’t seated properly on the intitial install. Mine were on for 3+ years just fine, so I glanced over that aspect. Once I took it off, I could literally spin the insert inside the housing. I had to clamp down the insert to get the bottom bolt loose. Anyway I got a 1 inch brass ribbon and shimmed it to fit between the nubs and housing. Now it’s realllly on there. I wonder if koni would warranty this.

Edited by ibr_adam09

I wonder if koni would warranty this.

That was my first thought. I do know their customer service is very prompt. I have asked them some questions in the last couple weeks and they got right back with me.

Don't tell me this, I am just on the verge of buying a set 😲

Rattle or not I am not disappointed they are a great upgrade. Don't forget I also have a deteriorating spacer from adf. I am not sure I would recommend them, or use them again. One more point of failure. If i have time today I will check it and report back.

I emailed Koni and just got this response back:

"In the 10 yrs. I have been with KONI, I have never seen where the nubs have caused and issue with the insert when properly installed. If they are pulled 4-7mm into the tube as designed and the lower attachment bolt is tight and properly torqued, (I also recommend a small drop of thread locker) the insert will be secure in the body. KONI has been using the cut-a-strut insert design since the early-mid 80’s, going on 40 years now."

That does make me feel better.

Doesn’t make me feel better :lol:

Edit: I sent an email to koni and they are quick to respond!

Basically reiterating the above statement. Additionally they noted the wear looks normal based on my pics.

So my theory is this. The struts are OE spec but not oem. It’s possible that the inner bore is slightly wider and it took ~45k miles of wear for the noise to develop.

Edited by ibr_adam09

Just driving straight mostly. It’s was very noticeable at low speeds like at a crawl. The noise would go away under light brake pressure, so that threw me off. After doing top hats, I really thought it was a bad quality balljoint (generic brand with the control arms). I also hear how much pinch bolts can be an issue.

I am getting what I think is a knocking sound, but not at low speeds - it does it at higher speeds, or on larger bumps at speed - it's weird as it doesn't seem to do it all the time... it will do it on the downside of a big speed bump/hump, but not the upside, etc. - seems to be drivers front... I am wondering if it is just the way the Koni's with stiffer springs ride, though... I should get more noise than the OEM mushy struts, right? handling is awesome. I currently have them at +1 turns all around... have tried different settings to see if it impacted the noise, but no dice.

Could it be a top hat? They are low miles (60k) and looked and felt pretty good - no undue drag or noise or anything like that (not in the rust belt, so things generally stay looking like new)

Tried aggressively rocking the wheel back and forth, rocking the car back and forth, and don't hear anything. Inner and outer tie rods don't seem to have any play, ball joint seems fine (tried looking for play via a pry bar) I don't know...

No, unfortunately I crashed it two years ago, eventually I'll get back into another GT but had a kid 9 months ago and my money just vanishes nowadays

I was going to reach out to you last fall when I bought a 2011 GT with a misfire (turned out to be burnt valve) to see if you were interested. I figured you moved on the 5th Gen. The time to fix it wouldn't have solved your disappearing time.

Today I changed my pcv valve and t-connection...pretty straight forward except for those damn factory clamps, tossed those.

Afterwards, I finally decided to stop being lazy and changed my own oil. Rotella T6 5w40 on sale at Canadian Tire. Bought a 5gal jug. hopefully this slows my burning oil issue.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

I finally figured out how to hook up the IAG AOS to the 5th gen LGT today. I need to grab a couple of adapters, some extra 1/2" hose to complete the hook up and I should be able to do that tomorrow. I will take a video and some pics tomorrow as well and post a how to thread.

I also got the Grill Craft insert installed on the grill. I'll put some pics in my build thread about it. I'm waiting for some Silica black paint to show up in the mail, so I can paint the remaining chrome trim to match the car.

I also will take a video and some pics of the AWIC and heat exchanger install tomorrow and post it soon as well... I know, promised long ago.:)

Some of you may remember that a couple of years ago I had an issue with one of my OZ CRONO rims....took it to Costco to get a slow leak fixed (Bead leak)...they used plenty of bead sealer and got it all over the paint on the rim. Don't know what they used to try and clean but it ruined the paint finish. I had 3 rims that were a nice bright silver and one that looked like grey camouflage :(

Anyway I didn't want to go through the hoops with Costco so I painted it myself with some silver rattle can paint I had around.....looked really good for a few weeks then started turning darker by the day....more :(

I tried again with some DupliColor for wheels and again it looked good but only for a few weeks...... again it turned dark with time.

About 2 weeks ago I did it for the 3rd time with a Duplicolor that is for body work and it matched as good as I can imagine is possible and has not changed color at all....added a couple of coats of auto clear coat and it looks good again :)

UnLxKUo.jpg

Replaced the o-ring on the oil fill tube and oil cap. The oil fill tube had been weeping oil for a while - I didn't realize where it was coming from at first! I figured the spark plug tube gaskets, etc. were new, so that shouldn't be the issue, then saw the culprit while poking around - when I pulled the fill tube out, the o-ring (which is supposed to be round...) had taken quite a compression set - it basically was square, and oil was weeping past. cheap part, easy repair - figured I would replace the gasket on the oil cap, too, since it was cracking. All good now!

Got a screaming deal from peter at pmp auto specialties in mertztown pa on a like new turbo back invidia catted stainless exhaust. Came off a wreck they bought. $350 and it’s on my car.

Stage 2 Cobb tune in the car now. Next up - pro tune.

I will say ... you guys are enablers.

Bunch of damn enablers!

I gave up on the baggy diaper of a leather wrap for the steering wheel... for now at least. I might revisit it later.

I had a small sheet of black vinyl sitting on the shelve and decided to wrap the three trim pieces on the steering wheel because I had it apart for the wrap. They came out pretty decent, but I'm not 100% on the shiny black. It might look better with the new leather wrap, I'll live with it for a bit and see how I like it over time.

IMG_8266.thumb.jpg.c619aa7bac23571be916ad4fea953ce7.jpg

i think the shiny black would look okay if you did the wood trim and/or the center console trim in black. otherwise, there's no other shiny black in the car and it looks out of place. could do matte black or carbon fiber and those would probably look okay

I agree about the flat black or carbon fiber being better than the glossy black. It was what I had on hand and was inspired to try it out. I figured the worst that could happen is I would have to remove it. I'm getting the windows tinted soon, so you won't be able to see it as much from the outside.:)

I'm also not a huge fan of the wood trim in the car and was thinking of getting some new trim pieces from Carid instead of trying to cover them in vinyl. I guess I'll see what i have ambition and money for when the time comes.