LegacyGT.com

Official Interest In COBB Flex-Fuel for the Legacy GT Platform - Please speak up

cryo

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If this actually came to be, I would probably keep buying shortblocks, trannys, and wheel bearings until I couldn't anymore to.keep this thing on the road lol I mean after flex fuel tune this thing would have everything I'd need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Any update, Dave??

They have not had any new talks but they have basically said that the 04-06 sti and 06-07 wrx will be the focus after the dit release. Although this sounds negative for us it's actually quite promising because that means it will not nessasarily be a feature that requires canbus ie 07+ ecu logic.

The sti is common but if you think about the amount of 04-06 STI's still on the road today as daily drivers I would say the lgt platform would out number those by quite a bit.

For those who have not spoken up here and also sent cobb an email for interest please keep this train alive as I have seen some of the Facebook posts that show MANY people's interest for this platform.

Keep the responses coming if your truly ready for its release since the moment they start the work it means they have full intention of completing it so the more interest now means the quicker it may become a "needed" platform for them to address.

Thanks!

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I'll happily sacrifice wheel/tire package savings for this. I have 5 E85 stations between my commute to school and work. I would LOVE support for my Outback.

Come on COBB. DO IT! :spin:

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Great to hear all you guys are as interested as I thought! The more I get to use the other features on NON flex fuel converted cars the more I know how much this means to this community as well. Things like the Fuel Pressure Differential monitoring and adjustments could be very helpful in curing a lot of peoples "stumble/studder" issue but obviously without testing I cannot be sure.

Also being able to monitor your wideband via the sensor input monitoring on your ap would be GREAT to have for all my customers.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

i really hope the interest stays growing so this can happen at some point. Having a legacy based chassis of any kind makes a great car to travel in in my opinion, having the ability to go anywhere without the concern of having to switch tunes, carry extra fuel, etc would be terrific feeling. Not to mention embarrassing bros from station to station!!

There is some hope but we are back of the pack :-( I emailed Cobb yesterday and this response came in this morning...

Drew Gorrie (COBB Support)

Feb 18, 8:50 AM

Hello Omar,

Thank you for contacting COBB support!

FlexFuel is something that we will certainly be looking into for the Legacy platform going forward, but I am unable to provide a concrete timetable.

To be completely honest I estimate that it will be more than 12 months as DIT is the current focus!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Thank you,

Drew Gorrie

ph: 866-922-3059

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

I emailed Cobb back in December to tell them I am very enthusiastic about their development of flex fuel for the 05-06 LGT. I had mentioned to them that I've got TGV deletes done and therefore have a few extra inputs/outputs available on my ECU. I was thinking if they just developed the software and told me which ECU pins to wire where, then I could fabricate the hardware needed for the flex fuel sensor; harness, brackets, hoses, etc. The following was their reply...

Michael Sessions (COBB Support)

Dec 22, 12:33 PM

Hey there James!

Thanks for reaching out, I'd be glad to assist! We're definitely taking note of everyone's various requests for Flex Fuel, so no worries there. We've had a lot of interest all across the board and we will certainly try and add support for as many platforms as possible. There are some technical limitations that come up between one model to another so we're taking things one step at a time and likely working backwards through the WRX/STI catalog first. As far as technical limitations, I couldn't begin to explain them all, but it largely comes down to the ethanol content analyzer and sensor and then the various plugs that change between different models. I can't make any promises one way or another, but I will absolutely pass the request along!

If you dont want to wait indefinitely, the Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel kit for Cobb has been on the market for quite some time already and supports 4th gen LGT's (and WRX back to 02 and STi back to 04 and more). They are also releasing a V2 kit shortly (includes a fuel pressure sensor).

Just a thought.

Doesn't look like you can have just anyone tune the delicious flex fuel, instead you have to visit one of their authorized dealers. I live in the Seattle area, so that makes the closest authorized dealer Snail Performance in Rocklin, CA which is 804mi from my house. Not sure that's gonna work for me, since I can't exactly drive down there without a tune...

I'm assuming that any Cobb authorized tuner will be fully capable of tuning the Cobb flex fuel....

Doesn't look like you can have just anyone tune the delicious flex fuel, instead you have to visit one of their authorized dealers. I live in the Seattle area, so that makes the closest authorized dealer Snail Performance in Rocklin, CA which is 804mi from my house. Not sure that's gonna work for me, since I can't exactly drive down there without a tune...

I'm assuming that any Cobb authorized tuner will be fully capable of tuning the Cobb flex fuel....

Travis will be happy to send you something to drive down to the shop on :spin::lol:

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

@M Sprank - I am curious as to the options for the DT flex fuel? I have not played with the software *obviously since I'm not a dealer for it* but have heard you can influence fueling and timing but cannot alter boost control for the different ethanol contents? Is this correct?

I honestly cannot comment much as I have NOT played with the DT kit but was told it just used the TGV map options to blend fueling/timing which limits the 05/06 cars due to the lack of TGV secondary maps and boost control on the 07+ cars due to the lack of the A/T secondary boost target maps?

Let me know as I had heard it was not a "true" flex fuel option like the ECUtek or New cobb option and have tried NOT to pass on false info to my customers so I have kept quite thus far. I have tried to think about how they incorporated it but didnt put much time into it as I was hoping to see cobb release thier software for the majority of platforms at the same time. I have nothing but respect for Bill and what he has done in the flex fuel respect, just got curious enough to ask now I suppose.

I'm still plugging away to have them release it for this platform as much as I can since 12 months flys by in the scheme of things.

Dave

Edited by cryo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dave, I will have Bill get in touch with you. He can answer your questions directly as he developed the kit. The kit was originally developed around EcuTeK (as Bill is an EcuTeK master tuner as well as a Cobb protuner and Ecutek unlocked the FF maps for the FRS/BRZ in 2013). But, he added more to the board and was able to adapt it to Cobb. He is almost ready to release his V2 kit (he says it will be ready in a few weeks).

On a side note, we have tested the Cobb kit (16 STi here now) and... if you run below 10% ethanol or above 80% ethanol the ecm will not adjust. They limited the interpolation span from 10-80 instead of 0-100. Major FAIL. Our local Chevron stations are at approx 5-8% ethanol. Our local e85 pumps put out 90+.

• 3 weeks later...

I have responded to your email and will be contacting Bill about some questions. I know in testing here we have seen little to no difference between about 10% ethanol and below and anything over about 80% doesn't seem to help knock resistance or allow us to run more boost/timing/leaner mix.

There were a few shops stocking E98 here in Colorado and have since stopped since it didn't give any added benefits over the pump e85 which can bounce as low as E70 during the winter. I'm sure everyones testing has seen something different but I'm wondering if that's what cobb saw during testing as well. I REALLY like the options in the cobb software for the 08+ wrx as I feel its a one stop shop for making dual maps with very intuitive methods so I'm really hoping the keep the ball rolling on the LGT platform which it sounds like they plan too based on responses, just farther out than most want.

Either way thanks for reaching out and I will be talking with Bill about the EVO X platform also with a few questions due to our shop working on a fair amount of those too.

Dave

Edited by cryo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No problem Dave.

Bill is available to answer your questions. As I am not the tuner, I can not answer all the questions. But if you have not ever tuned FF on EcuTeK, then maybe Cobb seems "good". To me it appears they are a few years and miles behind on the technology and the mapping. I believe some of Bills frustration may stem from this.

• 3 weeks later...

Just sent this to Ian Armstrong who used to be a CSR Lead/marketing. Ive known him for years via email and phone. He has helped me out a bunch. Anyway I have spent a lot of money with Cobb over the years. Hopefully they will respond and help us out.

I can't speak highly enough for their products. There are times I have had other brands and switched to theirs and found them to be better.

The shop in Plano TX is 8 hours from my house in MO but if I don't do the work myself this is the only place that touches my car. Im on my second built motor. First one went over 100K with my parts. The motor installed in Aug by them is even better because of built motor research they have done over the years. It doesn't use a drop of oil, had 2816 forged pistons and is really quiet compared to my first one. Great Company, Great people. Cant speak highly enough about them..........

Ian

Not sure if this should go to you or someone else as I know you used to be CSR lead/marketing.

I have been a huge supporter of Cobb over the 11 years I have owned and modded my outback XT.

Spent thousands of dollars either buying your parts, being tuned, and 2 engines at Cobb in Plano TX.

My last bill at Cobb plano was over 8K in August 2015

PLEASE, I beg you guys to support the LegacyGT community with a Flex Fuel kit.

I live in an area of MO where e85 is hard to get, I daily drive my 400WHP Outback STI for work about 25K per year.

This would help me out so much to be able to not worry about switching maps etc. and be able to just fill up anywhere.

Here is a link to my car you probably remember it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-stage-3-outback-xt-sti-seats-150039.html

Surely you guys can adapt the 08 WRX kit to the legacy without too much trouble?

Here is a thread that was started on legacygt.com

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-interest-cobb-flex-fuel-legacy-gt-platform-please-speak-248347.html?highlight=cobb+flex+fuel

My future plans this summer included swapping my turbo to a Blouch 1.5XTR and adding the flex fuel kit.

Ill be taking it to Chris and the guys at Cobb Plano TX from Independence MO. like I have done for years for the updated tune after the turbo swap.

Thanks for everything you guys do, my car would not be the 400whp daily driver it is without you guys!

Greg Nauman

Independence MO

gregnauman@me.com

gregnauman@icloud.com